Leeds v Ipswich - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Ipswich - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Ipswich Town are the visitors to Elland Road on Saturday, and Leeds will be hoping they can get back to winning ways in the league having suffered humiliation at the Den last Saturday

Christensen has not been scared of shaking things up. He made nine changes in the Cup win against an half-full strength Burnley side on Tuesday night, and now faces a selection dilemma.

I would imagine there will be starts for Wiedwald, Cooper/Jansson (if actually fit), O'Kane, Saiz, Lassoga and Ayling. The other positions are up for grabs imo!

Having stuttered against QPR and Fulham, Mick McCarthy's men made easy work of Bolton a week ago lifting them to 5th in the division some two points away from the Whites.

They are never easy opponents, but surely the squad at the TC's disposal will be too strong for the Tractor boys.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Ipswich - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by weasel »

Mick McCarthy is a wily manager and will have taken notice of how Millwall negated us. Whilst they won't possibly be as aggressive as Millwall they will be a hard working side who will play their way which will be to be hard to break down and very direct. Wouldn't be surprised to see them also look to target our full backs especially given Anita's poor performance as even if Anita is dropped then our choices are either Berardi who isn't fully up to match speed and has the disadvantage of being right footed or CBJ who struggled on Tuesday.

Dependent on the injury situation the centreback positions are the trickiest to call. If both PJ and Cooper are fit I would expect the to start but if not I would expect Shaugnessy to be ahead of Pennington in the pecking order at the moment, at the very least until Pennington has played a couple of reserve matches (or come on as a sub if a starting CB got injured).
Full backs then become a little reliant on the CB situation as Ayling might have to play CB. If not then Ayling would revert to RB and I would expect Anita to start at left back as it would be harsh to drop him after just 1 poor performance and his replacements (Berardi or CBJ) are not yet fully up to match fitness.

Central midfield and I would expect Phillips and O'Kane to both start but Vieira and Klich are now both legitimate contenders and I would expect at least 1 of them to get half an hour as a sub.

Saiz and Hernandez to definitely start and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas given the start over Alioski and Roofe. Lasogga up front barring his missus giving birth. If this was the case then I would expect Roofe to go up top.

So my line up:

GK Felix
RB Ayling
LB Anita
CBs PJ & Cooper (Shaugnessy if 1 of PJ or LC is out)
CMs Phillips & O'Kane
LW Hernandez
RW Dallas (possibly they would alternate sides)
AM Saiz
FW Lasogga (Roofe is Lasogga's sprogga makes its long overdue appearance)
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Team I would go with:
--------------------------------------Wiedwald-------------------------------------------

Ayling----------------Jansson-----------------------Cooper-------------------Berardi

------------------------Klich---------------------------O'Kane-----------------------------

Alioski---------------------------------Saiz-----------------------------------Hernandez

---------------------------------------Lasogga---------------------------------------------

Subs: Lonergan, Pennington (if fit if not Shaugnessy), Anita, Phillips, Vieira, Dallas, Roofe

Dallas and Phillips have been exceptional so far this season and it feels harsh leaving them out but Klich and Hernandez have more than earned their right to play ahead of them on Saturday after their performances on Tuesday.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Klich has to start for me, Berardi to if fit, would be tempted to keep faith with Shaunie to, reward him for his outstanding performance.

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wiedwald . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ayling . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jansson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shaugnessy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Berardi (or Anita if not fit)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .......................................Klich . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .O'Kane . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alioski . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hernandez . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Saiz

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Lasogga . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Subs.
Lonergan . . .Cooper . . .Anita . . Vieira . . .Sacko . . .Dallas . . .Grot

Lasogga needs to up his game again, perhaps the baby is playing on his mind, but thought he was ineffective against Burnley. Harsh maybe on Phillips and Anita but they were both very poor against Millwall, Klich and Berardi were both very good against Burnley so earned there start, and Vieira did well to, certainly better then Phillips against Millwall so he gets his place on the bench.
Roofe hasnt impressed me recently, working hard but offering nothing in attack and that is his primary function, be a threat going forward. Dallas was the better of the two against Burnley and Sacko was very impressive and think he should be rewarded for an excellent cameo. Saiz has more pace then Pablo so id start Pablo at number 10 but instruct him and Saiz to swap when they want to, tell Alioski to stay as far right as possible make the pitch big. Ipswich playing 3-5-2, Alioski staying wide and cutting in leaving room for Ayling to overlap, think that will be where we could open them up :-D
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

GB pre Ipswich. Did he just use the F*** word. Bollox. :roflmao:
Last edited by rab_rant on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Living down here amongst the tractor boys its a Leeds must win game for me. I dont think we have a great record against them and McCarthy will have his boys well up for this one. But I think we will keep them quiet, as long as we have grown in confidence from the Burnley game as opposed thinking we just have to turn up to beat them
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:Living down here amongst the tractor boys its a Leeds must win game for me. I dont think we have a great record against them and McCarthy will have his boys well up for this one. But I think we will keep them quiet, as long as we have grown in confidence from the Burnley game as opposed thinking we just have to turn up to beat them
One of the most disappointments I've ever had leaving Elland Rd was against Ipswich, Sept 2000, they were newly promoted and we were flying high, they outplayed us and deservedly won 2-1, the reason for my disappointment was we had A C Milan 3 days later in the Champions League, facing them after a poor performance and a patched up team, Matteo having to play midfield for example, I thought we could be embarrassed but credit to that side they outfought and beat the mighty AC with a late, pretty fortunate yet deserved Lee Bowyer goal, the low I left the stadium with on the Saturday was equalled by the high I left with on the Tuesday...Funny old game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:GB pre Ipswich. Did he just use the F*** word. Bollox. :roflmao:
What a gentleman :luv:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:One of the most disappointments I've ever had leaving Elland Rd was against Ipswich, Sept 2000 they were newly promoted and we were flying high, they outplayed us and deservedly won 2-1, the reason for my disappointment was we had A C Milan 3 days later in the Champions League, facing them after a poor performance and a patched up team, Matteo having to play midfield for example, I thought we could be embarrassed but credit to that side they outfought and beat the mighty AC with a late, pretty fortunate yet deserved Lee Bowyer goal, the low I left the stadium with on the Saturday was equalled by the high I left with on the Tuesday...Funny old game.
We were really poor that day Ges. CL on our minds I suspect
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote:One of the most disappointments I've ever had leaving Elland Rd was against Ipswich, Sept 2000, they were newly promoted and we were flying high, they outplayed us and deservedly won 2-1, the reason for my disappointment was we had A C Milan 3 days later in the Champions League, facing them after a poor performance and a patched up team, Matteo having to play midfield for example, I thought we could be embarrassed but credit to that side they outfought and beat the mighty AC with a late, pretty fortunate yet deserved Lee Bowyer goal, the low I left the stadium with on the Saturday was equalled by the high I left with on the Tuesday...Funny old game.
My worst game was at Portman Road, October 1992. I was stuck in the home end and we were the current Champions. When the announcer announced us as please welcome the champions Leeds United all I could hear were boos around me. I had to stay quiet of course, (not easy). We were three nil down by half time and the final score was 4-2. I was gutted. When I went to the ladies at the end of the game, a very large lady wearing an Ipswich scarf glared at me and my Mum and said "What a fantastic result for us, didn't we play well", I just stared at her as my Mum muttered a very quiet "yes". (Well, I am only 4ft 11 and my Mum an inch taller so.......we werent gonna take her on! ) Forgot to say, my Mother in Law was with us and she's an Ipswich supporter. Took a long time for us to live that one down..... :rant:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

...and it got worse when Cantona left for the theatre of sh*te. :x
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote:...and it got worse when Cantona left for the theatre of sh*te. :x
And for only one million pounds. For me that was the worst decisions of any football manager. And all because he was allegedly sniffing around Lee Chapmans Missus Leslie Ash. Personally, I would have got rid of Chapman. That decision still rankles with me today. He was the catalist that sent the Scum on their way to so many glories. I did hear that Ferguson was after another of our players at the time, Speed or Batty I think, also David Hirst from Sheff Wed...He was told by Wilko No! but you can have Cantona for a million. Gary Pallister wet himself when Fergie rang him up and told him, asking Fergie blimey, has Cantona only got one leg. What a prat Wilko was....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My team

Lonergan

Ayling - Jansson - Cooper/Shaughnessy - Beradi

Alioski - Klich - Vierra - Hernandez - Saiz

Roofe
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wiedwald, Anita, Cooper, Shaughnessy, Ayling, O'Kane, Phillips, Alioski, Hernandez, Saiz, Lasogga
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Pennington back.
New centre back pairing.
Jansson injured
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote:Pennington back.
New centre back pairing.
Jansson injured
Thanks faaip...looking forward to reading your match updates
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dont see what Anita, O'Kane or Philips did to get there place back :duno:

Owel :scarf2:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
nickjett
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by nickjett »

Any streams peeps?
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
nickjett
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by nickjett »

video?