Cardiff v Leeds - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Cardiff v Leeds - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by gessa »

Not sure it's a game for making changes, but we will need to up our passing for this one or we could get a hiding, good going forward are Cardiff. Can see Jansson (if fit) in for Shaughnessy, Berardi in for Anita(if injured) and perhaps Dallas in for Hernandez as the only changes.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cardiff v Leeds - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by 1964white »

The key is Jansson.

If he is fit he has to play in this game. We probably looked vulnerable on Saturday because of his absence, first time we've conceded two goals in a league game since our first game v Bolton.
I wonder who was missing that day too :roll:

As for the rest I would probably start with the same team which started v Ipswich
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:The key is Jansson.

If he is fit he has to play in this game. We probably looked vulnerable on Saturday because of his absence, first time we've conceded two goals in a league game since our first game v Bolton.
I wonder who was missing that day too :roll:

As for the rest I would probably start with the same team which started v Ipswich
I'm sure if Jansson played yesterday that first goal wouldn't have been scored.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I'm sure if Jansson played yesterday that first goal wouldn't have been scored.
Neither Cooper or Shaugnhessy were anywhere close to McGoldrick right in the middle of the goal.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Pontus had made a crucial block for their 2nd goal when Felix palmed the ball out as not one defender reacted to the oncoming who Garner who slotted home with ease. Two poor goals conceded
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

gessa wrote:Not sure it's a game for making changes, but we will need to up our passing for this one or we could get a hiding, good going forward are Cardiff. Can see Jansson (if fit) in for Shaughnessy, Berardi in for Anita(if injured) and perhaps Dallas in for Hernandez as the only changes.
Totally ditto this one :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I don't like Cafdiff City full stop. They always seem to'do' us somehow. (Not to mention the Ridsdale connection and yes I know I am bitter.) I'll never forget one of their players deliberately scraping his studs down the back of Ferdinands calf (doing in his achilles) in the first few minutes of a cup game. That game was the start of our big downfalll! Then their idiot chairman running behind the goal trying to whip up hysteria in the crowd. Unfortunately Warnock has got them playing well amd we will have to be at our best....so yes, it goes without saying that if Janssen is fit, surely he has to play. It wont be easy even with him in the team....it will be a hostile environment I think....their fans hate us. (sorry guys for my bitterness :lol: )
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Beradi was no better than Anita v Ipswich, He's not a left back and any quality winger will expose our left side.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I don't like Cafdiff City full stop. They always seem to'do' us somehow. (Not to mention the Ridsdale connection and yes I know I am bitter.) I'll never forget one of their players deliberately scraping his studs down the back of Ferdinands calf (doing in his achilles) in the first few minutes of a cup game. That game was the start of our big downfalll! Then their idiot chairman running behind the goal trying to whip up hysteria in the crowd. Unfortunately Warnock has got them playing well amd we will have to be at our best....so yes, it goes without saying that if Janssen is fit, surely he has to play. It wont be easy even with him in the team....it will be a hostile environment I think....their fans hate us. (sorry guys for my bitterness :lol: )
We've beaten the blues over the last couple of seasons, 0-2 both times Swan
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

whiteswan wrote:I don't like Cafdiff City full stop. They always seem to'do' us somehow. (Not to mention the Ridsdale connection and yes I know I am bitter.) I'll never forget one of their players deliberately scraping his studs down the back of Ferdinands calf (doing in his achilles) in the first few minutes of a cup game. That game was the start of our big downfalll! Then their idiot chairman running behind the goal trying to whip up hysteria in the crowd. Unfortunately Warnock has got them playing well amd we will have to be at our best....so yes, it goes without saying that if Janssen is fit, surely he has to play. It wont be easy even with him in the team....it will be a hostile environment I think....their fans hate us. (sorry guys for my bitterness :lol: )
Ditto Swan.. never liked Cardiff..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think Janssons gotta play if only to justify him not playing vs Ipswich.
Berardi to, need his toughness at lb. Tempted to say Dallas instead of Pablo as well.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Think Janssons gotta play if only to justify him not playing vs Ipswich.
Berardi to, need his toughness at lb. Tempted to say Dallas instead of Pablo as well.
Hernandez dictated the game at Cardiff last season

Now we've got the O'Kane/Phillips combo in place I'd start Saiz & Pablo as much as possible

The question from my point of view is whether you start with Alioski, Roofe or Dallas in the wide position ?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Hernandez dictated the game at Cardiff last season

Now we've got the O'Kane/Phillips combo in place I'd start Saiz & Pablo as much as possible

The question from my point of view is whether you start with Alioski, Roofe or Dallas in the wide position ?
Maybe so but he does have a tendency to go missing away from home against physical teams and he wont be number 10 either.

Your question im biased, huge Alioski fan and he works his butt off as well so brings that defensively. Id start him for his second half against Ipswich where he was a main outlet to relieve pressure.
Signed

King Cjay

Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Really doesn't feel right saying this considering KP has scored the same amount of league goals as Saiz, Alioski and Hernandez combined but I would go with Klich ahead of KP for this game. Just feel a midfield 2 of Klich and O'Kane will allow us to have total control of the game even if it does mean taking out one of our sources of goals. Last 2 games Millwall and Ipswich we haven't controlled the game particularly well and personally I think Klich is different class and he hasn't yet been rewarded for his good performances in the cup.
If we can get Alioski, Saiz and Pablo on the ball more than we did v Ipswich then we will score, all 3 of them would need to have poor games for them to be able to cope with us.

Team I would go with:
------------------------------------------Wiedwald--------------------------------------------------

Ayling----Jansson/(if injured Pennington)----Cooper--------------------Berardi

--------------------------------Klich----------------------------O'Kane--------------------------------

Alioski-----------------------------------Saiz----------------------------------------Hernandez

-------------------------------------------Lasogga----------------------------------------------------

Subs: Lonergan, Anita, Phillips, Vieira, Dallas, Roofe, Cibicki

I absolutely love KP though but Klich looks premier league quality to me , "he's one of our own he's one of our own Kalvin Phillips he's one of our own" was his chant yesterday :scarf2: :scarf1

Just shows the quality we have in this squad in the midfield positions
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Personally think the whole starting eleven are undroppable whilst we're winning games (the blip being Millwall, but how many teams go unbeaten a whole season?).

Only way I can see changes would be to rest players, who will then be put back in the starting line up for the weekend again.

Not sure about Klich, can't really judge on cup appearances against second string sides
1964white

Post by 1964white »

How some of our fans can think of dropping Phillips & Hernandez who are part of a winning team & the best midfield we've seen in many years at Leeds is beyond me :shock: it's not as if they are playing badly.

Phillips is our top goalscorer with four goals this season. KP scored only one goal all season under Monk's reign in 2016/17

Hernandez has already scored two goals with numerous assists this season

So the plan is to drop these two players who are in great form & scoring goals :chair:

Everyone raves about Alioski & Roofe......why? it's not as if they have set the world alight on a consistent basis as is the case with Phillips, Hernandez, Saiz & O'Kane who are automatic choices imo!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

How much work did the likes of David Platt or Frank Lampard do in midfield compared to KP? They made a living about being midfielders in name only but because they would score over 10 goals a season they were priceless for their clubs. Last season our biggest problem was that apart from Chris Wood nobody else looked like scoring and the main reason for our success this season is that the likes of Phillips are scoring goals.

Same with Hernandez. People continually bang on about him not being able to play away from home but again it isn't like he needs to be running around tackling. His job is to create something out of nothing and against Burnley we'd created nothing till he came on and his first touch of the ball was to create a goal. It is up to the other players to keep things tight so that one moment of magic fro Pablo can get us the win. I remember the game v Birmingham last season where Pablo was awful yet he supplied the crucial pass for our game clinching goal. A couple of weeks later we played Fulham and were clinging on to a 1-0 lead with Pablo taken off. Nobody was able to exploit the fact Fulham were throwing everything at us and leaving gaps and eventually they equalised - if Pablo was on the pitch and created a 2nd goal for us we would have won that game and very likely it would have been crucial and we would have made it into the play-offs instead of Fulham.

Players who can create or score goals are priceless. You can have a team set up to defend but unless you have someone to score then you won't do much.

Yes in accommodating Pablo and Saiz in the same team we may at times lose the midfield battle especially if teams play 3 central midfielders. The trade off however is that they can win us a game with just one moment of magic.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:How much work did the likes of David Platt or Frank Lampard do in midfield compared to KP? They made a living about being midfielders in name only but because they would score over 10 goals a season they were priceless for their clubs. Last season our biggest problem was that apart from Chris Wood nobody else looked like scoring and the main reason for our success this season is that the likes of Phillips are scoring goals.

Same with Hernandez. People continually bang on about him not being able to play away from home but again it isn't like he needs to be running around tackling. His job is to create something out of nothing and against Burnley we'd created nothing till he came on and his first touch of the ball was to create a goal. It is up to the other players to keep things tight so that one moment of magic fro Pablo can get us the win. I remember the game v Birmingham last season where Pablo was awful yet he supplied the crucial pass for our game clinching goal. A couple of weeks later we played Fulham and were clinging on to a 1-0 lead with Pablo taken off. Nobody was able to exploit the fact Fulham were throwing everything at us and leaving gaps and eventually they equalised - if Pablo was on the pitch and created a 2nd goal for us we would have won that game and very likely it would have been crucial and we would have made it into the play-offs instead of Fulham.

Players who can create or score goals are priceless. You can have a team set up to defend but unless you have someone to score then you won't do much.

Yes in accommodating Pablo and Saiz in the same team we may at times lose the midfield battle especially if teams play 3 central midfielders. The trade off however is that they can win us a game with just one moment of magic.
Spot on Weasel

To be fair to Pablo he does work hard often tracking back which i suspect is expected of him from his gaffer Christiansen who believes in a hard-working team ethic.
You mention that Birmingham game where Hernandez had a poor game but the produced a magical pass for Pedraza's goal, also Phillips came on & for once was instructed to get forward, he drove into the box creating the other goal for Wood. KP was played with much more restraint last season under Monk, this time round he has under TC he has a license to roam much further forward hence the goal opportunities are arising with more regularity
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The last time we played a tough, organised, physical team away from home we lost and going back over the thread it was widely agreed that our midfield pair were completely ineffective and lost the battle in the center, bottled it was used etc.

I appreciate Phillips scored at the weekend and O'Kane has his fans (not really one but i accept others see him more then i) but if they bottled it against Millwall ,which they did, why would we want to take the same risk against a better team who will undoubtedly be instructed to play aggressively as well?

As for Pablo, big fan, young boy in me loves flair players as we all do, but go back to last season and it was common to read here from people who see the games more often then some of us that Pablo was poor, was bullied, didnt create as a result, didnt work hard enough etc.

We have had a great start but cant forget the times last season where Hernandez was bullied and didnt do much, and Alioksi was poor to against Millwall in fairness and could argue he should be dropped to.

But to allow the game against Ipswich to change what was said by many after Millwall and last season seems a tab naive to me :cry:
Signed

King Cjay

Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

If ever there was a game for Dallas to start, surely its this one. I would take him over Alioski for this. We definitely need more steel and defensive qualities in midfield for this match, as shown with the Milwall debacle.

Jannson has to start too. Big Danger for them is their star forward Kenneth Zohore, he is very fast and strong so we will need Pontus to be at he's magic best !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gurj wrote:If ever there was a game for Dallas to start, surely its this one. I would take him over Alioski for this. We definitely need more steel and defensive qualities in midfield for this match, as shown with the Milwall debacle.

Jannson has to start too. Big Danger for them is their star forward Kenneth Zohore, he is very fast and strong so we will need Pontus to be at he's magic best !!

A lot of Wolves fans raving about him when they played them the other week.