January transfer rumours and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: January transfer rumours and squad discussion

Post by 8ballali »

Gurj wrote:
The strategy all seems to be pinned on " buying cheaply and hoping they make it good " I know there are no guarantees with spending big bucks but one would have thought we would have gone for a little more in this window. Yes we have spent £10m but as Noel Whelan rightly said the other day, £10m for one player is the kind of quality this club needs now, not £10m on 4 players !
If we'd bought a £10m centre-forward, we would still be short at left-back and in midfield.
The way Andrea has done it, we have what looks like a decent left-back, we've strengthened midfield, and bought a centre-forward with pace, that might be able to do a job now, and promises to be premier league quality in a season or two.
I'd say it fits in with the plan. I think Andrea said the plan is promotion within three seasons, and then into the top ten in the Premier league after five years.
Considering Leeds fans were chasing Massimo around in a taxi after he said he was sacking Brian McDermott two years ago, and £1m for a midfielder was a huge shock to us, I'd say there's been huge progress.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gurj wrote:The strategy all seems to be pinned on " buying cheaply and hoping they make it good " I know there are no guarantees with spending big bucks but one would have thought we would have gone for a little more in this window. Yes we have spent £10m but as Noel Whelan rightly said the other day, £10m for one player is the kind of quality this club needs now, not £10m on 4 players !
Or the second Mitrovic's deal to Belgium failed we should have been first on the phone.

Its not been an awful window, but isn't one that suggests a club chasing playoffs or promotion.

Mid table window with an eye on next season(s).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Andrea is building us a solid core. Weidwald in place. Pontus in place. Samu and Pablo in place. Forshaw and De Bok possibly.
Kalvin and Ronaldo in place, and gaining experience ready for the step up.
Is there an emergency loan window like in the summer?

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

http://rightinthegarykellys.com/victor- ... ds-united/

Difficult to argue with any of that although cases can be made for Lasogga and Wiedwald.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

8ballali wrote:Andrea is building us a solid core. Weidwald in place. Pontus in place. Samu and Pablo in place. Forshaw and De Bok possibly.
Kalvin and Ronaldo in place, and gaining experience ready for the step up.
Is there an emergency loan window like in the summer?

No loan window only out of contract players can be signed.

Its all well and good building for next season or the season after, which we clearly have done.

But there is the very real possibility the other players (who arent daft) will see a lack of ambition and will grow frustrated.

Then come the summer the players in there primes who cant really afford to many more wasted years if they want a chance at the big time, they may decide to leave.
Jansson, Saiz, Ayling, Berardi etc. Mid to late 20s. If a lower league Prem club or La Liga club comes in then they will go.
Hernandez in his early 30s may decide he doesnt fancy another year of tough Championship football and toddle off to China.
Ronaldo Vieira, maybe he will look at Lewis Cook and think yeah i can do that.

In theory we have a good spine for next summer, but in actuality we could lose most of it because they have seen a club take a backwards step on the pitch, 10points off last season atm.

Thats my concern with this future plan. Plans rarely go to plan.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:No loan window only out of contract players can be signed.

Its all well and good building for next season or the season after, which we clearly have done.

But there is the very real possibility the other players (who arent daft) will see a lack of ambition and will grow frustrated.

Then come the summer the players in there primes who cant really afford to many more wasted years if they want a chance at the big time, they may decide to leave.
Jansson, Saiz, Ayling, Berardi etc. Mid to late 20s. If a lower league Prem club or La Liga club comes in then they will go.
Hernandez in his early 30s may decide he doesnt fancy another year of tough Championship football and toddle off to China.
Ronaldo Vieira, maybe he will look at Lewis Cook and think yeah i can do that.

In theory we have a good spine for next summer, but in actuality we could lose most of it because they have seen a club take a backwards step on the pitch, 10points off last season atm.

Thats my concern with this future plan. Plans rarely go to plan.
Every summer we lose one or two of our best players & you can see it occurring again

My major concern too :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Trouble is that happens to all the clubs bar the top few. Even Leicester lost Kante after winning the title. Monaco won the French League, have billionaire owners and still had their best players leave.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:Trouble is that happens to all the clubs bar the top few. Even Leicester lost Kante after winning the title. Monaco won the French League, have billionaire owners and still had their best players leave.

they could have Trillionaire owners...it'd still be the 5th or 6th best league in Europe...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote:http://rightinthegarykellys.com/victor- ... ds-united/

Difficult to argue with any of that although cases can be made for Lasogga and Wiedwald.

Agreed, good piece. I also agree mostly with the comments about Lassoga and Weidwald though I think he slightly over rates both. Would be interesting to know how much this scatter gun policy regarding the U23's is costing us.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:Agreed, good piece. I also agree mostly with the comments about Lassoga and Weidwald though I think he slightly over rates both. Would be interesting to know how much this scatter gun policy regarding the U23's is costing us.
Me to.

Its got to add up, even if its just a few hundred thousand each thats gonna amount to quite a few million.

Apparently the lad from Forest Green was a "six figure sum". That could be 100k or 999k
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Me to.

Its got to add up, even if its just a few hundred thousand each thats gonna amount to quite a few million.

Apparently the lad from Forest Green was a "six figure sum". That could be 100k or 999k
Why do I think this recruitment policy is going to backfire on us ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBH I've no idea but I am wondering how they're all going to get game time
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote:they could have Trillionaire owners...it'd still be the 5th or 6th best league in Europe...
Yet they lost some players to another French club, PSG. PSG were also able to entice Neymar to join. Money talks.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Why do I think this recruitment policy is going to backfire on us ?
Can't really see how it could backfire. Even if say we had spent £10m that is only the same as if we spent £10m on one player and he was a failure. Would have to be a spectacular failure to not produce 2 or 3 players that were decent.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Why do I think this recruitment policy is going to backfire on us ?
Its a genuine concern :(

Phil Hay has voiced the exact same opinion.

I'm fine with signing some young players but we have signed so many.

Where do they all get the chance to play and impress?

Thats what Man City and Chelsea do, sign them in and ship em out.

Not leave them playing here and there in the youth leagues.

Let the lad from Forest Green stay there, send Darby to Guiseley, send some to Halifax or York.

Anywhere they can get some time.

Rey and Sarkic done well in the u23s, get them in the 1st team. Low on cbs, get Halme in, we paid 500k he has 50 odd games of professional football.

If we sign them then either loan them out or give them a chance.

But fans need to play there part, been really disappointed with the abuse Grot got at times.

If we do give a youngster a chance then we need to be patient and supportive.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Its a genuine concern :(

Let the lad from Forest Green stay there, send Darby to Guiseley, send some to Halifax or York.

Rey and Sarkic done well in the u23s, get them in the 1st team. Low on cbs, get Halme in, we paid 500k he has 50 odd games of professional football.

But fans need to play there part, been really disappointed with the abuse Grot got at times.

Indeed Cjay :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We apparently have an" agreement " in place to sign Jerry Mbakogu in the summer.

Bit underwhelming especially for the prices mentioned.

You couldn't make it up though, he has a long standing knee problem which he has to be on a special training program for. . . . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm Its a genuine concern :(

:tup: Agreed mate.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

I think we need to have a reserve side again. Then the players that do well on the U23's can play in the reserves against experienced players, and the guys on the bench can play in the reserves so they're still playing matches.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Both of our big money January signings were carrying injuries upon arrival.

Both now out probably till the end of the season.
Signed

King Cjay