January transfer rumours and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: January transfer rumours and squad discussion

Post by dezzy »

weasel wrote:Far too early to be judging Orta's record. He has 2 areas to strengthen, 1 being the current first team and the other being the future side of things. For all we know all of the youngsters may become world superstars but impossible to judge any of them for at least 2 or 3 years and even then it might be too early for them.

The current first team is also tricky to judge because we have all seen with Weidweld, Cibicki, Alioski and Lasogga in particular they have looked great at times and awful at others - given a full season to acclimatise and they might all turn into excellent signings. Grot has been the only permanent signing (CBJ being a loan signing thankfully rather than a permanent deal) to have really failed to impress but he is still very young and has a lot of time still to come good. Klich is the only player that you could say has failed but according to many on here they think he is brilliant so they can't then have a go at Orta for signing him.

Yes it can be argued that he has failed to replace Wood and Bartley with like for like quality but have the right players been available that fit into our budget (both transfer fee and wages) - anyone can argue about a signing(s) we could have made based on the hindsight of them doing well elsewhere but equally we were linked with many players who have flopped regardless of previous pedigree. Our two best signings in recent times have been Jannson and Saiz and neither would have been on any fan's shortlist for signing (PJ being written off before we saw him as a typical cheap Cellino signing unable to get into the first team of a mid to lower table serie A side - and Saiz playing for a fairly much unheard of Spanish second division side and at his age why hadn't he been spotted by any club earlier?).
Great post. Very well put and something which has been said before, for those who attend many games it must be frustrating paying good money to see, players pr the team under perform, a different strategy may see us pay the 10 million on a striker and pay big wages, but then would we see, such an exciting group of players form in the under 23s and other things put in place around the club that is needed to be successful.
I don’t think many of us know what all the cost cutting to all areas of the club, has done to our prospects and what investments are needed to right those wrongs.
From following the club from a far, I get to see Leeds live 2-3 times a year and the handful of games live on sky, so when I watch them it’s a real treat and maybe rose tinted glasses appear!! So it might be easier for me to accept a slower stratagey to promotion, if I was a local lad with a season ticket I might have a different take.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote:Far too early to be judging Orta's record. He has 2 areas to strengthen, 1 being the current first team and the other being the future side of things. For all we know all of the youngsters may become world superstars but impossible to judge any of them for at least 2 or 3 years and even then it might be too early for them.

The current first team is also tricky to judge because we have all seen with Weidweld, Cibicki, Alioski and Lasogga in particular they have looked great at times and awful at others - given a full season to acclimatise and they might all turn into excellent signings. Grot has been the only permanent signing (CBJ being a loan signing thankfully rather than a permanent deal) to have really failed to impress but he is still very young and has a lot of time still to come good. Klich is the only player that you could say has failed but according to many on here they think he is brilliant so they can't then have a go at Orta for signing him.

Yes it can be argued that he has failed to replace Wood and Bartley with like for like quality but have the right players been available that fit into our budget (both transfer fee and wages) - anyone can argue about a signing(s) we could have made based on the hindsight of them doing well elsewhere but equally we were linked with many players who have flopped regardless of previous pedigree. Our two best signings in recent times have been Jannson and Saiz and neither would have been on any fan's shortlist for signing (PJ being written off before we saw him as a typical cheap Cellino signing unable to get into the first team of a mid to lower table serie A side - and Saiz playing for a fairly much unheard of Spanish second division side and at his age why hadn't he been spotted by any club earlier?).
He may have signed a team full of superstars, this is true, but hardly relevant right now. I wanst around when Wilko had his plan and we produced that crop of kids but i dont imagine people were thinking "well it may all be ok in a few years". That isnt how most football fans work at any club.

Im fine with giving Alioski, Cibicki, Grot and Weidwald time, in fact i consider Weidwald and Alioski an improvement on Green and Sacko so thats something. Lassie was a like for like replacement for Wood, he had to hit the ground running because he was never going to be here next season. CBJ was a poor signing imo, his attitude was seriously questioned while on loan at a poor Wolves side last season, he was a panic buy. Klich was linked well before Orta arrived and the wheels were probably in motion long before he arrived, cant blame him for Klich but cant credit him either.

Again its not hindsight, players that were mentioned quite a few had proven themselves in league 1 and the Championship for sometime and the fees that were demanded were less then we have paid for the likes of Klich, Sacko and Cibicki. Cant give Orta any credit for Jansson anyway, as mentioned i always am willing to give a foreign signing a season to adjust, turned out Pontus did well, credit to Radz for getting him signed although that may have been agreed before he arrived, i dont know. Saiz in fairness had decent pedigree and was heralded as the best player in the Spanish second tier last season, plus was wanted by clubs in La Liga now including one who i think is fairly high up. I do credit Orta for Saiz, but i dont think he was an undiscovered gem, can clearly see watching him why he hasnt got to a higher level yet, he has flaws, if he didnt have those then he certainly would be higher up, just hope we keep him long enough to iron out those flaws if he can.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Seem to be various reports still linking us with strikers and GKs whilst main sources close to the club suggesting we are done for this window.....feel we will see one more before COP tomorrow and if it's a keeper Lonners to leave.......don't go to bed yet :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Tommy Elphick goes to Reading on loan, we could have missed a trick there. Would suit playing next to Jansson.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Tommy Elphick goes to Reading on loan, we could have missed a trick there. Would suit playing next to Jansson.
Tommy has bags of experience

We miss far too many tricks mate, it's Leeds United true to form especially with that clown Orta in charge of recruitment
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Third choice Arsenal goalkeeper to Leeds???

http://sportwitness.co.uk/arsenal-playe ... ndow-move/
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote:Tommy Elphick goes to Reading on loan, we could have missed a trick there. Would suit playing next to Jansson.
Cos he is signed by someone else that automatically makes him a better player than he is. He has only played 4 times for Villa this season and that has been to cover for injuries and suspensions. Plus gotta say his manager at Villa was a pretty decent defender in his time so if he doesn't pick him and is willing to let him leave to go to a potential play off rival (Reading) it suggests something is not quite right. Not saying he isn't or wasn't a decent defender but no guarantees he is better than what we have.
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote:Cos he is signed by someone else that automatically makes him a better player than he is. He has only played 4 times for Villa this season and that has been to cover for injuries and suspensions. Plus gotta say his manager at Villa was a pretty decent defender in his time so if he doesn't pick him and is willing to let him leave to go to a potential play off rival (Reading) it suggests something is not quite right. Not saying he isn't or wasn't a decent defender but no guarantees he is better than what we have.
Pointless signing anyone else then because that's never a guarantee. Some good players faces don't fit, so don't get games, Bartley at Swansea was one I remember, folk weren't too excited about him coming as he hardly got any game time and the only time he was any good was at Rangers in midfield, so they thought. I rate Elphick. I seem to remember Stam being a decent CB too and probably knows a thing or two about defending as well
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Phil Hay just tweeted we are in advanced talks with Tyler Roberts from WBA after they got Sturridge.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Leeds agree deal for West Brom youngster Tyler Roberts. Reported 2.5 million

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... er-roberts
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

rab_rant wrote:Leeds agree deal for West Brom youngster Tyler Roberts. Reported 2.5 million

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... er-roberts
Just a kid, only turned 19 two weeks ago.

May turn out to be good but he is less proven then Grot.

Underwhelming
Signed

King Cjay

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

5 in 17 in league one, that deflated my bubble!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote:5 in 17 in league one, that deflated my bubble!
9 in 44 in league one in total :sleep:
Signed

King Cjay

gessa

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote:5 in 17 in league one, that deflated my bubble!

Walsall are a pretty negative team though, especially away from home.

We need a finished article not someone with potential .
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote:9 in 44 in league one in total :sleep:
Big pressure on the kid, suppose he’s the guy to replace Grot on the bench, not to start ahead of lassoga.
2.5m is a lot to spend if that is the case, another investment in next season...sadly
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote:Pointless signing anyone else then because that's never a guarantee. Some good players faces don't fit, so don't get games, Bartley at Swansea was one I remember, folk weren't too excited about him coming as he hardly got any game time and the only time he was any good was at Rangers in midfield, so they thought. I rate Elphick. I seem to remember Stam being a decent CB too and probably knows a thing or two about defending as well
No guarantees with any signing I just think it is very strange that Bruce thinks so little of him he is happy to loan him to a team that could potentially pip Villa for promotion. Bartley was back up at premier league level rather than back up at the same level to us but yes no one was overly excited about him.
It may be that we now have to get another defender as Pennington seems to be injury prone and with Cooper out for 3 more matches and Shaugnessy possibly out too we are down to the bare bones.
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote:No guarantees with any signing I just think it is very strange that Bruce thinks so little of him he is happy to loan him to a team that could potentially pip Villa for promotion. Bartley was back up at premier league level rather than back up at the same level to us but yes no one was overly excited about him.
It may be that we now have to get another defender as Pennington seems to be injury prone and with Cooper out for 3 more matches and Shaugnessy possibly out too we are down to the bare bones.
Only time will tell I suppose but one reason could be Villa need to get their wage bill down, they were hoping Micah Richards would leave but he's decided to sit still and collect his £60k per week for doing sod all.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote:Big pressure on the kid, suppose he’s the guy to replace Grot on the bench, not to start ahead of lassoga.
2.5m is a lot to spend if that is the case, another investment in next season...sadly
Its a stranger one.

For all people saying "he is highly rated by West Brom". He hasnt done much of note in league 1, the Pboro Chairman who is quite honest has said "not prolific and not sure he can cut it at Championship level, could be wrong".

Its a lot of money as you say for someone totally unproven.

2.5m rising to 4m for 9 in 44 games but we wouldn't pay 6m for a player with 18 goals in 28 at the same level. Strange one to say the least.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm ok with the Roberts signing, he's at least played in England all his career so less adjustment than those coming from abroad. 2.5 seems a lot for someone with just 6 months left on contract ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »