Leeds v Reading - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Reading - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Following defeats away from home at Millwall, Cardiff & Wednesday, Leeds will be hoping for to follow up their last victory against Ipswich at Elland Road on Saturday.

It remains to be seen whether Jansson will be fit following his shoulder injury inflicted by his teammate Phillips, if not any two from Cooper, Shaughnessy and Pennington will attempt to kept Jaap Stam's team at bay. Surely Liam Cooper will start no matter what !

O'Kane is the only other injury worry, due to cracked ribs. We don't know the extent of the problem but I'd imagine he'll sit this one out especially after Christiansen was criticised so much on social media for playing him against the Wendies.

Klitch and Vieira may get their chance to impress.

Lonergan has to be considered doesn't he ?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Leeds v Reading - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by lufc1304 »

If Jansson isn't fit, I'd be inclined to play Cooper and Pennington, dropping Shaugnessy to the bench to cover either CB or CM if Klitch/Vieira isn't working (yes, that should be the pairing if O'Kane is still out).

The keeper issue is a tricky one. Dropping Felix could shatter his confidence but, by the same token, we can't afford a keeper who inspires no confidence in the back four in front of him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lonergan in, but it will take some good man management from TC to keep Weidweld 'onside'
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

An early season "big" game for us - a good performance and result and we can start to move on from the poor performances another stinker and the pressure will really ramp up. Tricky choices for TC, Felix has to sit out for me, very little to do in those early games where we kept clean sheets but looked dodgy when exposed to some real pressure. If Pontus is fit I'd have him and Pennington, if not Cooper comes back in. Plenty of options in personnel and formation in front of that but I would go something like:

Lonergan

Anita
Pennington
Jansson
Ayling

Dallas
Vieira
Phillips
Hernandez

Saiz

Lassogga

Subs
Grot
Alioski
Roofe
Klich
Shaunessey
Berardi
Felix
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:An early season "big" game for us - a good performance and result and we can start to move on from the poor performances another stinker and the pressure will really ramp up. Tricky choices for TC, Felix has to sit out for me, very little to do in those early games where we kept clean sheets but looked dodgy when exposed to some real pressure. If Pontus is fit I'd have him and Pennington, if not Cooper comes back in. Plenty of options in personnel and formation in front of that but I would go something like:

Lonergan

Anita
Pennington
Jansson
Ayling

Dallas
Vieira
Phillips
Hernandez

Saiz

Lassogga

Subs
Grot
Alioski
Roofe
Klich
Shaunessey
Berardi
Felix
Back to Cooper & Jansson (if fit) for me. apart from the Cardiff fiasco these two have been our best CB combination this season.

Agree Anita has to return & I would definitely make a change between the sticks

Not a fan of starting Dallas, I would probably give Alioski another opportunity to hopefully show his colours.

O'Kane surely won't be fit so the defensive midfield two is a conundrum. I'd be tempted to go with Klich with our goalscoring laughing boy KP as he must be due a good game in his inconsistent career

Lonergan

Ayling Jansson Cooper Anita

Klich Phillips

Alioski Saiz Hernandez

Lasogga
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pontus is ok apparently.

I think TC will persevere with Wiedwald, dont like Cooper, never have and probably never will (even though i voted for him for player of the month). Dont think Phillips offers anything aside from his few goals, and still think Anita isnt a full back.

All that being said.

Wiedwald

Ayling
Jansson
Penny
Anita

Vieira
Klich

Alioski
Saiz
Pablo

Lassy

Berardi has been poor, Anita has been better, Cooper shouldn't walk back into the team after his Cardiff fiasco, so bench for me, if Cooper can still be getting chances after the amount of shockers he has had then Pennington deserves another chance. Klich and Vieira have played the best as a partnership this season, there Burnley performance warrants a chance, plus O'Kane fit or not was very poor in the last few games, Phillips the same.

Tempted to give Dallas a start even though not a fan, but think we need to attack from the off and press, our best performance this season was Forest, large part of that was the 3 musketeers pressing the life out of the Forest back line. Ali may be tired, but he has played really well this International period by all accounts, so he starts, Saiz is a no brainer, and Pablo as well just because Roofe and Dallas dont impress me.

From now till the match TC should make them watch the Forest game on a loop, occasionally he should shout "DO THAT SATURDAY"
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think Wiedwald will start unless Loney as proven he can play sweeper keeper in the last 2 weeks, as i can't see us changing system.

Not necessnecessarily what I'd play but i think the team will be.

Wiedwald

Ayling...Jansson..Cooper....Anita

..............Klich........Phillips

Roofe.............Saiz............Hernandez

....................Lassie

I think Dallas and Alioski will be rested after being away on international duty.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I think Wiedwald will start unless Loney as proven he can play sweeper keeper in the last 2 weeks, as i can't see us changing system.

Not necessnecessarily what I'd play but i think the team will be.

Wiedwald

Ayling...Jansson..Cooper....Anita

..............Klich........Phillips

Roofe.............Saiz............Hernandez

....................Lassie

I think Dallas and Alioski will be rested after being away on international duty.
You'll probably won't be far out with that team Ges
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Reading have several injury problems

Reading defender Jordan Obita has been ruled out for the season after major knee surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament. Striker Yann Kermorgant has stepped up his rehabilitation following hip and groin surgery during the summer, but midfielder Stephen Quinn (knee) remains sidelined along with John Swift (hamstring).

Royal boss Jaap Stam must also do without forward Joseph Mendes following the Frenchman's knee operation. Winger Callum Harriott has suffered a setback on his recover from a hamstring problem.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Yorkshire Post reporting that TC will keep faith with Wiedwald, despite his display against the wendies. Admirable, but I hope it doesn't come back to bite him on the arse. Nothing less than 3 pts will do tomorrow.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

The manager will definitely stick with flapper, but Lonergan is much more solid and really should be playing, however it is a problem for TC as he wont want to knock flappers confidence (he doesnt seem to have much anyway !!)

Team I would like to see :

Lonergan
Ayling
Pontus
Cooper
Anita
Klich
Viera
Dallas
Saiz
Hernandez
Lassoga

Must get a good performance and 3 points tomorrow to get us back on track. TC has had the time to sort out our problems....'well' we will see !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Yorkshire Post reporting that TC will keep faith with Wiedwald, despite his display against the wendies. Admirable, but I hope it doesn't come back to bite him on the arse. Nothing less than 3 pts will do tomorrow.
Obstinate comes to mind !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:Obstinate comes to mind !
Possibly, Leon, but it's a difficult one for TC. Wiedwald is his man, so he has to show some faith, otherwise the lad's (shaky) confidence could be shattered. This time last season, sections of our support were calling for Green to be dropped, but Monk kept faith and was ultimately rewarded. Hopefully the same will happen this season. The lad's played at a higher level in the Bundesliga, he can't be that bad. Can he??
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote:Possibly, Leon, but it's a difficult one for TC. Wiedwald is his man, so he has to show some faith, otherwise the lad's (shaky) confidence could be shattered. This time last season, sections of our support were calling for Green to be dropped, but Monk kept faith and was ultimately rewarded. Hopefully the same will happen this season. The lad's played at a higher level in the Bundesliga, he can't be that bad. Can he??

I was in Germany just after we signed him, I asked my friends what they thought of him, 1 said good keeper, the other said he's sh!t. Like with us he divides opinion there too.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

gessa wrote:I was in Germany just after we signed him, I asked my friends what they thought of him, 1 said good keeper, the other said he's sh!t. Like with us he divides opinion there too.
All about opinions, Ges. Ultimately TC's is the only one that counts, he'll stand or fall by it!
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote:All about opinions, Ges. Ultimately TC's is the only one that counts, he'll stand or fall by it!

Exactly mate
hector

Post by hector »

Tiiimmmmbbbeeeerrrrrrrrrr !!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Possibly, Leon, but it's a difficult one for TC. Wiedwald is his man, so he has to show some faith, otherwise the lad's (shaky) confidence could be shattered. This time last season, sections of our support were calling for Green to be dropped, but Monk kept faith and was ultimately rewarded. Hopefully the same will happen this season. The lad's played at a higher level in the Bundesliga, he can't be that bad. Can he??
I don't watch Bundesliga football but I'd be interested to know do their teams whip in crosses as much as Championship teams do ? If the answer is no that would explain why Felix was comfortable in the German league.

Unless he learns the art of goalkeeping playing in British football he is going to create continuous problems if he isn't prepare to catch a cross or command his area !

On TC's head if he continues to select Wiedwald & he puts in more performances as he has in his early career at Leeds. Looking at Felix at Hillsborough you'd have thought he'd never played between the sticks before, even a couple of Sheff Wed fans mentioned on OwlsTalk how poor our keeper was !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote:I was in Germany just after we signed him, I asked my friends what they thought of him, 1 said good keeper, the other said he's sh!t. Like with us he divides opinion there too.

Depends, which one has the better football knowledge and which one buys the hype ?

Weidwald has to start or there's no point to him at all.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote:Depends, which one has the better football knowledge and which one buys the hype ?

Weidwald has to start or there's no point to him at all.
The one who I'd consider is the one with better footballing knowledge said he was a decent keeper.

Now I respect his judgement less than the other ones.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I hope we go with something like this:

------------------------Wiedwald------------------------

Ayling----Shaughnessy------Jansson------Berardi

----------------Vieira--------------Klich------------------

Alioski-------------------Saiz----------------Hernandez

-------------------------Lasogga-----------------------------

Subs: Lonergan, Cooper, O'Kane, Phillips, Roofe, Dallas, Cibicki