Felix Wiedwald

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Felix Wiedwald

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote:Sorry, what was the question ?
Weidwald or Lonergan? . .that would have been a simpler and shorter thread actually :roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Cjay wrote:Weidwald or Lonergan? . .that would have been a simpler and shorter thread actually :roflmao:
Ah - in that case, Wiedwald.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Is he another victim of knee jerk reactions?

Long line of players in this clubs history who no matter what they never could win the fans over completely, Chris Wood is the most recent. But is the amount of criticism he gets online justified, or is it a case of "he isnt the man we wanted so we will criticize no matter what".

Dont think anyone will argue that he hasnt had a poor start, he has struggled, and as a goalkeeper unfortunately for him most of his mistakes will result in a goalscoring chance for the opposition, fans remember them. This is where his position goes against him, his job in the end is to stop the other team scoring, attacking players score goals, goalkeepers and defensive players stop goals, thats it, pretty simples
A goalie needs to command his box & deal with crosses especially round the six-yard box, that is the attributes of a decent keeper.....Felix doesn't do that

He's good at tippy-tappy football with his CB's, not so important imo !
Cjay wrote:So when he makes a mistake and we concede then he hasnt done his job, and rightly so he will get some stick, but when Samu Saiz doesnt score a few times when he should, it gets excused, when Pontus makes a mistake, which he has on occasion then people gloss over it.

Those two players are fan favourites, fans will cut them more slack then most, and thats fine, Pontus in particular has saved us many times and he deserves some slack, Saiz has been brilliant and his all round performances have been excellent, but his job is to score goals and make chances, and there are a few occasions where he hasnt done his job
Hang on a minute....Felix brings on his own errors himself causing mayhem because he isn't positive enough, his defenders are losing confidence in him for that very reason !

As for Pontus & Saiz they are two class players who make honest mistakes unlike the clown between the sticks who's poor positioning, lack of movement & flapping at crosses are down to poor technique.
Cjay wrote:All round performances dont excuse not doing what your primary function is, if Wiedwald had a great game against Reading, claiming crosses, lots of great saves but in the 95th minute made a mistake and we lost 1-0 would anyone care about what he had done before? probably not, they would just be fixed on the mistake, because that has lost us the match
If he was doing the correct aspects technically which I expect from a keeper & he made a error I would forgive him as we all make mistakes playing sport & in life
Cjay wrote:Leeds fans wax lyrical about Rob Green, they didnt want him to leave and they blame Felix for that, he took Greens position and Green left, so any mistake Wiedwald makes fans say "Green would have done better." Think us fans need to remember who Rob Green is and how a lot felt about him up until January maybe it was.

Rob Green is famous for his mistakes, he has made some shocking errors throughout his career, not going to link them here but just look on youtube, there are tons of them, worse then Weidwald, air kicks, first touches that are basically passes to the opposition, allowing back passes to go in the goal, much worse then Felix has done.
And what seems to get forgotten is Rob Green was dreadful for nearly the first half of the season, it was only the 2nd half where he really looked solid and won the fans over, before that nobody wanted Rob Green, he was getting worse stick then Weidwald, because we knew his history of blunders.
I certainly don't blame Felix for Green's departure, that was a board decision

Green wasn't bad for half a season. He was one of our players of 2016/17.

Without his contribution we'd have probably finished lower than 7th position
Cjay wrote:A good indicator of a players ability i think, not perfect, but genuinely good, is look at how his ex clubs fans reacted to them leaving. Werder Bremen fans were very upset, they rated Weidwald highly and were not happy he was allowed to go.
So thats the fans of a club who finished 8th in the Bundesliga upset we got there goalkeeper
I was prepared to give Felix a chance to shine even though he made me nervous several times.
His ghost-like act at Hillsborough just about finished me off....has to go down as one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've witnessed in a long time :shock:
Cjay wrote:Additionally, i like many have started calling for Andy Lonergan, im as guilty as anyone regarding knee jerk reactions, hold my hands up. But once more, Wolves fans wernt all that fussed that we signed him, and not that many Leeds fans hand on heart could say they were to bothered when he left the first time. Because Andy Lonergan, like the man we replaced him with Paddy Kenny is and always will be an average Championship Goalkeeper
Lonergan isn't the long-term answer, unfortunately we have limited options
Cjay wrote:All goalkeepers make mistakes, David Stockdale and Kieren Westwood, 2 of the best goalkeepers in this division have both made mistakes, in fact Wednesday fans are in parts calling for Westwood to be dropped despite his reputation as one of the best in the division
Right now I'd take Stockdale or Westwood over Wiedwald, good old-fashioned keepers who not only makes saves but commands their box & catches crosses
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:366 days ago there was a similar debate with mixed responses . .
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33556&p=598110&hili ... en#p598110
Quite happy with my assessment of Rob Green a year ago :-D
Screenshot 2017-10-13 at 21.20.50.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:But at this stage last season you gave Green a 6 . . which is actually exactly what Phil Hay gave Wiedwald in his review earlier this week.
Double the rating I've given Wiedwald

I believe I rated Rob Green 8 or 9 by the end of last season
Screenshot 2017-10-13 at 21.30.05.png
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:A goalie needs to command his box & deal with crosses especially round the six-yard box, that is the attributes of a decent keeper.....Felix doesn't do that

He's good at tippy-tappy football with his CB's, not so important imo !

It is if thats what the coach wants to play :-D

Hang on a minute....Felix brings on his own errors himself causing mayhem because he isn't positive enough, his defenders are losing confidence in him for that very reason !
He hasnt had a settled defence in front of him yet . . . . . .When that happens maybe he shall improve.
As for Pontus & Saiz they are two class players who make honest mistakes unlike the clown between the sticks who's poor positioning, lack of movement & flapping at crosses are down to poor technique.
Was using them as examples, big fans of both :-D But point was every player makes errors, some are forgiven more easily then others.

If he was doing the correct aspects technically which I expect from a keeper & he made a error I would forgive him as we all make mistakes playing sport & in life
You would still put "Felixs mistake cost us 2 points in the end" . . You would, betcha :evil: :-D

I certainly don't blame Felix for Green's departure, that was a board decision

Green wasn't bad for half a season. He was one of our players of 2016/17.

Without his contribution we'd have probably finished lower than 7th position

Maybe that was an exaggeration but the post a year ago shows he certainly wasnt Mr Consistency yet.

I was prepared to give Felix a chance to shine even though he made me nervous several times.
His ghost-like act at Hillsborough just about finished me off....has to go down as one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've witnessed in a long time :shock:

He had a very poor game i agree but he wasnt alone.

Lonergan isn't the long-term answer, unfortunately we have limited options

Problem with Lonners is he isnt comfortable with the ball at his feet, so it would be hoofball, which isnt the way we play anymore, thankfully.

Right now I'd take Stockdale or Westwood over Wiedwald, good old-fashioned keepers who not only makes saves but commands their box & catches crosses
Big fan of both, but can they play the way TC wants.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So is Weidwald getting a recall?

Have to say that 1st goal was worse then anything Weidwald did :(
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yeah but the next 10 are all Weidwald and the Brentford keepers was worse. I'm told he's good. Neither should be starting for us but Lonners is the better goalkeeper
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think the first and second goals were both worse than any of FW's 'mistakes.' The only glaring mistake FW made was when he pushed an easy cross/shot straight to the opposition player (think it was v Ipswich) when it should have been an easy ball to hold - however better than simply diving over it like Lonerghan did for Brentford's second.

I like Lonerghan but think FW has the potential to be a decent keeper if he can adapt to the more physical side of english keeping and also has the mental toughness to withstand the fans's 'support' for him.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

weasel wrote:I think the first and second goals were both worse than any of FW's 'mistakes.' The only glaring mistake FW made was when he pushed an easy cross/shot straight to the opposition player (think it was v Ipswich) when it should have been an easy ball to hold - however better than simply diving over it like Lonerghan did for Brentford's second.

I like Lonerghan but think FW has the potential to be a decent keeper if he can adapt to the more physical side of english keeping and also has the mental toughness to withstand the fans's 'support' for him.
Presumably he is a decent keeper. I've seen it mentioned on here that the fans at his old club didn't want him to leave. He himself has been quoted as remarking that keepers do not get as much protection from the referee that he is used to getting. That may be the problem. At the moment he is not comfortable with the added physical aspect of the English game. I don't know if he can get over this. Do they start hammering him in training to see if he can take it?
hector

Post by hector »

BobHirst wrote:Presumably he is a decent keeper. I've seen it mentioned on here that the fans at his old club didn't want him to leave. He himself has been quoted as remarking that keepers do not get as much protection from the referee that he is used to getting. That may be the problem. At the moment he is not comfortable with the added physical aspect of the English game. I don't know if he can get over this. Do they start hammering him in training to see if he can take it?

Form an orderly queue please..... :wink:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BobHirst wrote:Presumably he is a decent keeper. I've seen it mentioned on here that the fans at his old club didn't want him to leave. He himself has been quoted as remarking that keepers do not get as much protection from the referee that he is used to getting. That may be the problem. At the moment he is not comfortable with the added physical aspect of the English game. I don't know if he can get over this. Do they start hammering him in training to see if he can take it?
Alex Ferguson used to get the likes of Mark Hughes to clatter into Peter Schmeichel in training to get him used to the physical side of the english game. I think the first goal Schmeichel conceded in english football was when he misjudged a cross against Leeds and Chapman headed into an empty net.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So he came back . . . . . ..

and did ok, decent stop he made, few good punches, and he caught that hat.

Not overly tested, but the bits he did have to do, he did well.

7 clean sheets in 12 league games, conceded 11 in 12 games.

We looked better with him in goal.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:So he came back . . . . . ..

and did ok, decent stop he made, few good punches, and he caught that hat.

Not overly tested, but the bits he did have to do, he did well.

7 clean sheets in 12 league games, conceded 11 in 12 games.

We looked better with him in goal.
His distribution was so much better than we've seen in our last few games. No howlers to discuss today :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

"They're defence is weaker. They haven't replaced green, bartley and taylor. "

While that is something most Leeds fans would agree with.

Shouldn't be forgotten that from about this time last season, Charlie Taylor got injured and never regained the left back spot from Gaetano Berardi, who kept Taylor our of the team deservedly so after his return from injury, earning a 7.01 overall rating compared to Taylors 6.86.

As for Wiedwald, he has come in for some stick, but statistically, he has a better record then people give him credit for,

Felix Wiedwald- 12 games 7 clean sheets, 11 conceded

Rob Green-21 games 7 clean sheets 21 conceded.

Rob Green was poor for some time before he picked up his form, people forget that, as the stats show Felix hasnt actually done to bad a job.

The Kyle Bartley one, that i will agree with :P

From the Villa forum, Felix if you ever need a PR man gimmie a call :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Again statistics mean f**k all in football, it's a game you need to use the eye to evaluate talent. Lonergan would have done exactly the same v Barnsley who had the predatory threat of a catatonic sheep
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:Again statistics mean f**k all in football, it's a game you need to use the eye to evaluate talent. Lonergan would have done exactly the same v Barnsley who had the predatory threat of a catatonic sheep
Ok. .

Rob Green was shite for half the season, and cost us plenty of goals, rose tinted glasses forget that bit.

Rob Green is and always was distinctly average throughout his career and is most famous for his mistakes, of which there were many.

Rob Green was also behind a very solid defence, with the best cb partnership we have had since the premier league, playing in a defensive minded team, a fact backed up by Boro this season, Monk knows how to set up a team for a defence.

Stick him behind an out of form Pontus, Ayling and Berardi plus Cooper and he would collapse.

And i feel so much better now :roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Except Rob Green was MOTM here on numerous occasions and rightly so, he had a dodgy first month/six weeks or so but nothing as bad as Weidwald or Lonergan or else I'd have been the first to moan as I was a Silvestri fan
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:Except Rob Green was MOTM here on numerous occasions and rightly so, he had a dodgy first month/six weeks or so but nothing as bad as Weidwald or Lonergan or else I'd have been the first to moan as I was a Silvestri fan
He was a good shot stopper, thats going to earn MOTMs, and he did do that very well.

Because we were set up defensively he got lots of opportunities to shot stop, since our attack was so limited.

Felix hasnt really had that many, largely because our attack is so good, and when we lose the ball by and large we have kept our shape well. Perhaps if he has more shots to save he will earn Motms :duno:

Greens command of his area wasnt very good imo, was no stranger to a flappy moment.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds mad17
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Leeds mad17 »

Don’t know why we don’t give some of the younger GKs some experience in the cups to see what other options we have

Will huffer has been performing well for the u23s . He’s a Big lad ,agile with good feet Aswell. Could do worse .Still think Felix will turn out to be a good keeper at this level