Paying the price

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Cjay
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Paying the price

Postby Cjay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm

For trying to be to clever . :duno:

So if figures are to be believed then we got about £20-23mill in transfer fees this summer;
Charlie Taylor-£5-7m
Liam Bridcutt-£1m
Chris Wood-£15m

Then we spent;
Hadi Sacko £1.5m
Pontus Jansson £3.5m
Mateusz Klich £1.5m
Felix Wiedwald £500k
Ezgjan Alioski Undisclosed (rumoured about £2.5m)
Samuel Sáiz £3m
Caleb Ekuban £500k
Andy Lonergan Free
Paweł Cibicki £1.5m
Vurnon Anita Free
Jay Roy Grot £1.5m (500k upfront)

So if my maths is right thats about £15m spent.

£5-8m profit, not a bad thing, searching Europe for hidden gems rather then paying stupid prices, again not a bad thing.

But are we now seeing the downside of our recruitment?

Tried to be clever with our money, but should Radz and Orta have bit the bullet and paid Bristol City the money they wanted for Aden Flint and Joe Bryan?
According to Whoscored stats Joe Bryan is rated as the best Left Back in the division this season, Flint one of the two best center backs so far, with Bamba interestingly.

Or should they have stuck with there foreign policy and paid the reported £4m for Filip Helander, who is performing solidly for Bologna in Italy now.

Or, is this just a minor blip and we will get back to the side who kept 6 clean sheets in a row and march on till January where we will have a healthy transfer kitty available ?

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm

We should have invested in a top CB & LB during the summer.

Every Leeds fan knows this apart from our new owners

Another decent striker would have been handy as well.

I don't think Grot & Ekuban are ready yet !

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Saiz was a snip

Samuel will be playing in the premiership next season

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16095
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Paying the price

Postby gessa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I understand there is supposedly better value abroad but they are higher risk than home players imo, a thought at the time and still do, a mixture of the 2 would have been better . False economy and all that.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Cjay wrote:
Then we spent;
Hadi Sacko £1.5m
Pontus Jansson £3.5m
Mateusz Klich £1.5m
Felix Wiedwald £500k
Ezgjan Alioski Undisclosed (rumoured about £2.5m)
Samuel Sáiz £3m
Caleb Ekuban £500k
Andy Lonergan Free
Paweł Cibicki £1.5m
Vurnon Anita Free
Jay Roy Grot £1.5m (500k upfront)


We also brought in loans/freebie signings Pennington, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson & Gomes

Out of those 15 players above only 3 started last Saturday :roll:

User avatar
BobHirst
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Paying the price

Postby BobHirst » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm

1964white wrote:Saiz was a snip

Samuel will be playing in the premiership next season


Ah...so you're that confident we are getting promoted this season! :wink:

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19772
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Paying the price

Postby faaip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 pm

I wanted Adam Flint, seemed a direct replacement for Bartley. Captain material and scores goals, no brainer imo
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Shaughnessy, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Ekuban

Roofe - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

faaip wrote:I wanted Adam Flint, seemed a direct replacement for Bartley. Captain material and scores goals, no brainer imo


Missed a trick there mate, too busy looking at loan signings who had no chance of playing for their respective premiership clubs who are now struggling to find a place in our team

I'll have a first hand look of Adam Flint on Saturday

danhirons
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Paying the price

Postby danhirons » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm

1964white wrote:We also brought in loans/freebie signings Pennington, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson & Gomes

Out of those 15 players above only 3 started last Saturday :roll:


This.

Saiz is covering up a load of average/failed signings. Appreciate some are with an eye to the future but think we’ve signed a load of crap in cibicki, grot, ekuban, sacko, borthwick, klich etc

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

danhirons wrote:This.

Saiz is covering up a load of average/failed signings. Appreciate some are with an eye to the future but think we’ve signed a load of crap in cibicki, grot, ekuban, sacko, borthwick, klich etc


We seem to have gone for the scattergun approach.

Saiz & Pontus are quality signings at championship level, these two were the only two outfield players who started on Saturday. The rest is Monk's team in the main !

User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6265
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Paying the price

Postby lufc1304 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm

F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 pm

lufc1304 wrote:F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses


Agree with that, patience is required :tup:

User avatar
Shields53
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6290
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Paying the price

Postby Shields53 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 pm

I think we have signed reasonably well over the summer.

Why we didnt go and get a centre half though I'm not sure. Lacking a captain this year too.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Shields53 wrote:I think we have signed reasonably well over the summer.

Why we didnt go and get a centre half though I'm not sure. Lacking a captain this year too


Definitely :tup:

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19772
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Paying the price

Postby faaip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

lufc1304 wrote:F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses



like, like, like, like, like

plus Klich has looked useful everytime he's played.
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Shaughnessy, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Ekuban

Roofe - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips

User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Paying the price

Postby Gurj » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 am

Klich needs an extended run. Played well v Burnley, although had that nightmare at Cardiff losing possession on the touchline for their first goal and we didnt recover thereafter. That poor night shouldnt restrict him just to Carabao Cup action. Lets see how he and Vieira could do as a combination perhaps ?
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 55485
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Postby 1964white » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:23 am

Gurj wrote:Klich needs an extended run. Played well v Burnley, although had that nightmare at Cardiff losing possession on the touchline for their first goal and we didnt recover thereafter. That poor night shouldnt restrict him just to Carabao Cup action. Lets see how he and Vieira could do as a combination perhaps ?


I would still play Shaughnessy as a holding midfielder

Anita who's natural position is in midfield is another option TC has never deployed

NorfolkWhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Paying the price

Postby NorfolkWhite » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 pm

lufc1304 wrote:F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses


100% this :tup:

Of the signings we made I think only Felix has looked like a waste - Lonners for free however looks very useful.

User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Paying the price

Postby Gurj » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm

1964white wrote:I would still play Shaughnessy as a holding midfielder

Anita who's natural position is in midfield is another option TC has never deployed


Yes we have a few options to consider. Need TC to work out what is the best combination moving forward as this was something Monk was incapable of doing as we saw us completely fall apart towards end of last season when he wouldnt play O'Kane !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19772
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Paying the price

Postby faaip » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Klich is a 6 footer which is plenty tall enough for a CMF. O Kane 5'8, Kalvin 5'10 and if they lack height then Anita' 5'5 isn't cutting it either.
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Shaughnessy, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Ekuban

Roofe - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests