Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - The Garry Monk Saga Continues....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - The Garry Monk Saga Continues....

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone

Garry Monk has admitted he never planned on staying at Elland Road in the long term

“There has been a lot of negativity [toward me] and I was disappointed to leave Leeds,” said Monk. “I felt we had a fantastic season when you consider what it was when I took over and what it was when we left.

There was an expectancy we’d still be there. It was frustrating, and I don’t want to go too much into it, but for me there was never a real intention for me to have a long-term job there.”

“My intention was to stay, but I had a one-year contract, there were new owners. After the job I’d done and after discussions, there was never a real desire to keep me and I didn’t want to put myself or my staff in that position.

That’s why I took the Middlesbrough job. I’ve loved every minute of it and we are improving, you have to rebuild the confidence of a club after relegation, the players, the staff and the fans and we’re getting there,” he added
1964white

Re: Thursday's Breakfast Debate - The Garry Monk Saga Continues....

Post by 1964white »

God i really hope we stuff Boro' & this slimeball in a few weeks time
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

He does seem to be reversing up his own backside at a rate of knots - is he now saying if we'd have gone up he had no intention of staying? I guess Radz didn't fancy him due to his apparent lack of commitment to the cause long term, bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I see Boro' fans love Monk too :roflmao:

Chris Watts @spearcoach

Like EVERY afternoon! Get that muppet OUT! #monkout

Greg @quicklikeasloth

Monk is clearly not the man for the job. No clear tactics and subbed best player on the pitch(Downing). #monkout #borolive

YOUAREMYBORO @THEREALBORO

We need to act fast and decisively now we are going nowhere under Monk. His tactics are poor & his team selections are awful #MonkOut

Oliver Evans @ollyevans96

Pathetic. Get this clown out, and get the man who knows how to get us out of this league back. #MonkOut #BringBackAK

Daniel Farman @Farman14

There is no system, no style of play, no thought process at all.... the squad is there but I have no faith in the manager at all #MonkOut#

Oliver Evans @ollyevans96

New levels of delusion reached by this man. Put him out of his misery please Gibson #MonkOut#

chris cottrell @chriscottrell25

Changes defenders every week also changes midfielders every week AND changes forwards every week. Totally clueless #monkout #Boro
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Think it was Bob Mortimer who tweeted something along the lines of "Leeds fans told us he he had no Plan B when he arrived....never warned us he had no Plan A" :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Think it was Bob Mortimer who tweeted something along the lines of "Leeds fans told us he he had no Plan B when he arrived....never warned us he had no Plan A" :lol:
Like It Norfolk :lol:
gessa

Re: Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - The Garry Monk Saga Continues....

Post by gessa »

I honestly don't give 2 hoots about Monk, did a decent job, then for whatever threw the towel in in March. Not a nice bloke, infact an orible individual that Swansea fans warned us about. Boro are just another team i want to finish above like the other 22 in the league.

Having said that it would be nice to do the double over the slimey twat.
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote:I honestly don't give 2 hoots about Monk, did a decent job, then for whatever threw the towel in in March. Not a nice bloke, infact an orible individual that Swansea fans warned us about. Boro are just another team i want to finish above like the other 22 in the league.

Having said that it would be nice to do the double over the slimey twat.

Ditto :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I was really disappointed when he left. Despite the poor end to the season, he got us organised, and although we weren't attractive to watch, we ground out results, often against the odds. However, TC's brand of football is a joy to watch, and despite our recent wobble, I am sure that he will be better for us long-term.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Gandalf wrote:I was really disappointed when he left. Despite the poor end to the season, he got us organised, and although we weren't attractive to watch, we ground out results, often against the odds. However, TC's brand of football is a joy to watch, and despite our recent wobble, I am sure that he will be better for us long-term.
Agree with that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He always wants to talk abut what a "great job" he did :duno:

Not so keen to talk about how we should have made the playoffs (given where we were with not many games to go), but we totally blew it, which whether Gary likes it or not is all a lot of people remember from last season about us, how we bottled it when it mattered.

People keep saying he did a great job, but did he really.

Wood, Ayling, Hernandez, Vieira, Berardi, Green, Jansson, Bartley, Taylor, thats not exactly a poor side he had there.

He was lucky to stumble on a cb partnership that worked, 2 players with something to prove and as it turned out were probably one of the top 3 pairings in the league.
He signed Rob Green, who was somewhat rejuvenated (eventually)
Ronaldo Vieira (very talented young midfielder)
Charlie Taylor, the best left back in the league.
Ayling and Berardi, two of the most solid performers in the league.
Pablo Hernandez, though past his best a class above most in the league.
And Chirs Wood, who just so happened to have his best ever season.

So its not like he got Burton to 7th, Monk had a decent squad, but he could only get them playing one way, be solid, hope Wood scores, Wood doesnt score, we rarely win, thats not a good coach to me, thats a coach with one plan.

Dont have that much ill will towards him, but if anything, he failed for me, i dont think our squad was as bad as people make out, and he totally and utterly messed up the end of our season, but Monk doesnt like to talk about that bit.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:He always wants to talk abut what a "great job" he did :duno:

Not so keen to talk about how we should have made the playoffs (given where we were with not many games to go), but we totally blew it, which whether Gary likes it or not is all a lot of people remember from last season about us, how we bottled it when it mattered.

Wood, Ayling, Hernandez, Vieira, Berardi, Green, Jansson, Bartley, Taylor, thats not exactly a poor side he had there.

He was lucky to stumble on a cb partnership that worked, 2 players with something to prove and as it turned out were probably one of the top 3 pairings in the league.

So its not like he got Burton to 7th, Monk had a decent squad, but he could only get them playing one way, be solid, hope Wood scores, Wood doesnt score, we rarely win, thats not a good coach to me, thats a coach with one plan.

Dont have that much ill will towards him, but if anything, he failed for me, i dont think our squad was as bad as people make out, and he totally and utterly messed up the end of our season, but Monk doesnt like to talk about that bit.
Monk always played safe & negative at Leeds

Seems like he is doing the same at Boro'. With that amount of talent he has acquired Middlesbro' should be romping the Championship
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Monk always played safe & negative at Leeds

Seems like he is doing the same at Boro'. With that amount of talent he has acquired Middlesbro' should be romping the Championship
Dont get how he cant get an attacking side out of that Boro squad. . 4-2-3-1

Randolph

Christie
Gibson
Ayala
Fabio

Howson
Leadbitter

Traore
Braithwaite
Downing

Assombalonga

Thats without Fletcher, Clayton, Gestede, Baker, Fry Bamford etc.

Why play negative with that side
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Dont get how he cant get an attacking side out of that Boro squad. . 4-2-3-1

Randolph

Christie
Gibson
Ayala
Fabio

Howson
Leadbitter

Traore
Braithwaite
Downing

Assombalonga

Thats without Fletcher, Clayton, Gestede, Baker, Fry Bamford etc.

Why play negative with that side
Two attacking full-backs as well
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote:...I didn’t want to put myself or my staff in that position.
What staff? Pep Clotet stayed at Leeds to keep things ticking over and then took the Oxford United job.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Mildly puzzled whilst reading this thread this morning, as the bold header, " Garry Monk has admitted he never planned on staying at Elland Road in the long term", did not seem to align with the unfolding story thereafter. Perhaps I am reading it wrongly, but it seemed to me that Monk is actually saying that he felt the club had no real intention of having him there in the long term. While I am unsure of the wider article which may add more flesh to the bones to the story, I would hazard a guess that a sprinkling of poetic license may have been added to this thread in order to ensure that the truth did not get in the way of a good story.... I am certainly no apologist for Monk, (ambivalence and nonchalance would best describe my feelings towards him). I just don't get why folks get bitter towards ex club employees, it is not as if there is any real loyalty between clubs, players, managers to a large extent anymore, those days have well and truly gone.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote:He always wants to talk abut what a "great job" he did :duno:

IIRC he bought Hernandez in, and you could say Green and Bartley were inspired signings. Wood had his best season because of Beattie ....who was bought in by? ..yep you guessed it. No luck there at all just good coaching.

Not to say I would still like him here but had he gotten a little lucky and hit a PO spot and got promotion I think we're all singing a different tune. I'm not going to assume TC finishes higher than 7th (and don't forget Monks points total would have been good for 5th/ 6th most seasons) so we'll just have to wait and see who has the better season from similar starting points. Going to be close imo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote:I was really disappointed when he left. Despite the poor end to the season, he got us organised, and although we weren't attractive to watch, we ground out results, often against the odds. However, TC's brand of football is a joy to watch, and despite our recent wobble, I am sure that he will be better for us long-term.

As was I but regarding the brand of football we're probably back to the SG days of needing to score first and needing to score a few as the defence looks shaky.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Putting it as succinctly as I can..... F**k Monk.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011