Captain

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Captain

Post by Cjay »

Apologise.

It was discussed somewhere and i cant find it now, if anyone can find where it was discussed feel free to delete. :)

I would like to see it given to. . .
Ronaldo Vieira
1)I prefer cms as captain because they are involved in attack and defence.
2)Patrick Vieira, Roy Keane, Gary Speed, Steven Gerrard, the list of combative, energetic cms who were excellent captains is impressive.
3)Ronnie V shows so much passion and willingness to fight for the shirt.
4)he is a young man we should be looking to build around, it shows faith in him.
5) The confidence it would give him would rub off on his team mates.
6) He is only going to get better, the team can hopefully grow with him.
7) He is, for me, one of the 1st names on the teamsheet with Saiz and Pontus, captains need to be that.
8) It would show him how important he is to us, more likely to stick about.
9) Fans love him, they would get behind him.
10) His name just screams CAPTAIN.

Thoughts?

I also considered Samu Saiz for many of the same reasons but dont know how good his English is.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: Captain

Post by danhirons »

no chance - nothing to suggest either are a dressing room presence - though this is something we won't really ever know for sure - vieira way too young too

saiz likely to leave when a big club comes calling anyway

would go to someone like ayling surely instead though he hasn't even been that good lately

problem if noone is a consistent starter week in week out other than ayling, phillips and saiz really
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote:no chance - nothing to suggest either are a dressing room presence - though this is something we won't really ever know for sure - vieira way too young too

would go to someone like ayling surely instead though he hasn't even been that good lately

problem if noone is a consistent starter week in week out other than ayling, phillips and saiz really
Age is no barrier, plenty of young players have been captain younger then Vieira.
"Saiz likely to leave when a big club comes calling" you could say that about any player, if that was the worry then only captains would ever be players not good enough to play at a higher level.

Ayling doesnt strike me as a captain, not vocal enough, never seen him giving a rocket or encouraging . Aside from some clapping when the mood strikes him.
Signed

King Cjay

gessa

Post by gessa »

Vieria as only just got in the team, not a regular let alone Captain, his time may come though. I honestly don't think we have a true Captain in the squad.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Age is no barrier, plenty of young players have been captain younger then Vieira.
"Saiz likely to leave when a big club comes calling" you could say that about any player, if that was the worry then only captains would ever be players not good enough to play at a higher level.

Ayling doesnt strike me as a captain, not vocal enough, never seen him giving a rocket or encouraging . Aside from some clapping when the mood strikes him
When there was a break in play due to an injury after going 2-0 down at Hillborough there was much discussion, arm-waving & pointing from the likes of Pontus, O'Kane, Lasogga, Phillips & Berardi whilst Ayling who wore the captain's armband for the day stood thirty yards away with his hands on his hips
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Vieria as only just got in the team, not a regular let alone Captain, his time may come though. I honestly don't think we have a true Captain in the squad.
Indeed we haven't Ges :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Apologise.

It was discussed somewhere and i cant find it now, if anyone can find where it was discussed feel free to delete. :)

I would like to see it given to. . .
Ronaldo Vieira
1)I prefer cms as captain because they are involved in attack and defence.
2)Patrick Vieira, Roy Keane, Gary Speed, Steven Gerrard, the list of combative, energetic cms who were excellent captains is impressive.
3)Ronnie V shows so much passion and willingness to fight for the shirt.
4)he is a young man we should be looking to build around, it shows faith in him.
5) The confidence it would give him would rub off on his team mates.
6) He is only going to get better, the team can hopefully grow with him.
7) He is, for me, one of the 1st names on the teamsheet with Saiz and Pontus, captains need to be that.
8) It would show him how important he is to us, more likely to stick about.
9) Fans love him, they would get behind him.
10) His name just screams CAPTAIN.

Thoughts?

I also considered Samu Saiz for many of the same reasons but dont know how good his English is.
You forgot No.11 Cjay

11) He never gives the ball away :roll: :roflmao:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

danhirons wrote:no chance - nothing to suggest either are a dressing room presence - though this is something we won't really ever know for sure - vieira way too young too

Ayling certainly not a captain ...already proved that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:When there was a break in play due to an injury after going 2-0 down at Hillborough there was much discussion, arm-waving & pointing from the likes of Pontus, O'Kane, Lasogga, Phillips & Berardi whilst Ayling who wore the captain's armband for the day stood thirty yards away with his hands on his hips
Exactly, so thats Ayling out.
Phillips is similar age to Vieira so if Vieira is out so is he.
O;Kane doesnt strike me as a captain either.
Berardi not guaranteed to start.
leaves Lasogga and Pontus :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:You forgot No.11 Cjay

11) He never gives the ball away :roll: :roflmao:
He has faults :(
They all do.

As has been said, no obvious captain.

If not Ronnie V then who?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote:Vieria as only just got in the team, not a regular let alone Captain, his time may come though. I honestly don't think we have a true Captain in the squad.
Injury seems to have been the reason he wasnt in the team.

As you say, no true Captain.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:He has faults :(
They all do.

That song makes me smile as we sing about Ronaldo as if he is Johnny Giles :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:He has faults :(
They all do.

I suppose he's as good a shout as anybody as I don't think we have a true captain tbh
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:That song makes me smile as we sing about Ronaldo as if he is Johnny Giles :lol:

Giles was 4 years older when he first played for Leeds, Vierra is 19 !!!
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Giles was 4 years older when he first played for Leeds, Vierra is 19 !!!
Ronaldo will never retain the ball like Giles, the ball was like a magnet at his feet & his passing was out of this world. Different era, different class & no player in the current Leeds squad could better or get near our 3rd best player in the history of LUFC

It's just the silly song our fans sing about Vieira that makes me laugh :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

Dallas should move to LB at least until January and be made captain....

His passion to play well and work ethic would be good for the rest of the team..

Berardi can then go to RB and with Pontus and Shaun the sheep, we would have a good defense
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

hector wrote:Dallas should move to LB at least until January and be made captain....

His passion to play well and work ethic would be good for the rest of the team..

Berardi can then go to RB and with Pontus and Shaun the sheep, we would have a good defense
Wouldn't be wholly against this, Hector, as I've said before that Dallas could cover either full back slot. Though he might be more effective as a wingback. I'm not sure how vocal Stuart is, but his work rate alone would be inspiring, you'd have thought.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bump.

In light of recent events i wanted to see if opinions had changed?

Poor game today but i stand by what i said, we havent an outstanding choice.

With Jansson he is the only player available to us who we all seem to agree starts whenever fit.

Pablo is another possibility but at his age he will need rest.

I'd be delighted if Ronnie V was the one to lead the team out vs Hull.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ronnie is too young imo, couple more years maybe but he does seem captain material
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Pontus for me it may also calm him down a bit and may make him think before shouting at the ref.

I’d also like to point out Phillips has Captained every Leeds team he’s played for since joining at 14 and I’ve said it before if he’s allowed to develop and stays one day he’ll Captain the first team, not that I think he should just yet as too many Phillips haters which IMO is strange considering he’s one of our own and one of the more improved/consistent players this year
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't