Video referee

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
whiteswan
First Team
First Team

Video referee

Postby whiteswan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Tonights friendly between England and Germany will have a video referee. Both the English and German respective governing bodies requested this. Where do we all stand regarding using a video ref?

becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Video referee

Postby becchio bear » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:

whiteswan
First Team
First Team

Postby whiteswan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 pm

becchio bear wrote:I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:

Totally agree bb. As you say rugby has it, also cricket and tennis and it doesn't disturb those sports at all....in fact, makes them more interesting in my opinion. Spot on as well about the players delaying tactics.... :tup: ....that should also be sorted out!

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Long overdue imo.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Postby HarryofOz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Has been used in the A-league since last season (though not from the start) and has worked well. In all the time that it has been used, I can only think of one VAR decision that took any length of time and that involved the referee looking at a penalty decision on the screen.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes

Postby becchio bear » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

whiteswan wrote:Totally agree bb. As you say rugby has it, also cricket and tennis and it doesn't disturb those sports at all....in fact, makes them more interesting in my opinion. Spot on as well about the players delaying tactics.... :tup: ....that should also be sorted out!

Yes it should. The captain only is supposed to approach the ref, anyone else should be carded, that would soon sort them out!! video ref finding cheating my diving should also result in a card, might make the players think twice, the game would flow better and be fairer. :bear:

Norm
Manager
Manager

Postby Norm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 am

becchio bear wrote:

Yes it should. The captain only is supposed to approach the ref, anyone else should be carded, that would soon sort them out!! video ref finding cheating my diving should also result in a card, might make the players think twice, the game would flow better and be fairer. :bear:

Top post - sick of it myself.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Postby 1964white » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:05 pm

becchio bear wrote:I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:

Couldn't agree with you more young lady :tup:

beer belly bert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Postby beer belly bert » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm

works well in rugby ,tennis and the cricket , would sort the cheats like Ronaldo out and stop the diving . :tup:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Postby faaip » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Norm wrote:Top post - sick of it myself.

I'm struggling with this...are we saying we're going to look at every challenge where a player goes to ground in case someone dives ...What's that about 30 times a game plus...I think we'd be heading to American football type game breaks where it can take minutes to come to the correct decision.

Watching the Samoa/Scotland game it took the TMO 3 minutes for the Samoa try ...

Think it may make a lot of defenders tackle shy too.
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Pennington, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Roofe

O'Kane - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips

becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes

Postby becchio bear » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 pm

faaip wrote:I'm struggling with this...are we saying we're going to look at every challenge where a player goes to ground in case someone dives ...What's that about 30 times a game plus...I think we'd be heading to American football type game breaks where it can take minutes to come to the correct decision.

Watching the Samoa/Scotland game it took the TMO 3 minutes for the Samoa try ...

Think it may make a lot of defenders tackle shy too.

It would only take a few times for the players to realise the refs mean business!!! :bear:

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Postby faaip » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:41 pm

It really won't.
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Pennington, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Roofe

O'Kane - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips

becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes

Postby becchio bear » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:03 pm

faaip wrote:It really won't.

why? :bear:

Norm
Manager
Manager

Postby Norm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 pm

It may at least help to get correct decisions so it's worth it for that alone.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Postby 1964white » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:55 am

faaip wrote:It really won't.

Surely a correct decision is better than a wrong one even if it does add-on time to a game

These days the players waste more time with their antics falling over at will feigning injury in an effort to run down the clock

How many times have I witnessed a player who is due to be substituted quickly head to the opposite side of the pitch & then slowly amble off the field in their pursuit to take as much time out of a game as they possibly can. I would make an amendment to the current rule of the referee adding on 30 seconds when a substitution is made :

Added on time should be at least one minute for every substitution

gotagetz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gotagetz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 am

Oh yes and why not? One of my pet hates is a dive for a penalty. Look at ashley young for mufc he's got it down to a fine art. It's cheating in my book and costly for other teams.....

Return to “General Chat”