Leeds v Middlesbro' - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds v Middlesbro' - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Oscar »

Outstanding performance from the lads today i'm so proud of the lads considering the pressure they were under to get a result. Christiansen deserves a lot of credit as well, got his tactics spot on today with the gegen pressing and went with an attacking team selection despite the pressure he was under to get a result.
We started the game slowly and it took a routine Lonergan save to wake us up a little bit but after that we really started to get on top in the first half, we get the goal from the first chance of the game a lovely goal as well. Then maybe could have had a second from a free kick. We went in deservedly ahead at Half Time.
Second half we showed so much intent we didn't sit back and let them settle we pushed for the second goal and for me it's one of the best goals we will score all season excellent work from Roofe, lovely low cross Pablo and a great run from Alioski. Then Samu hits the post and Cooper misses a glorious chance. Boro get the lucky penalty and a few good chances late on but we were the superior team in every sense on the day (even if I thought when they got the penalty we might crumble under the pressure of being 2-0 and crusising to a 2-2 draw).
We were far more comfortable over the 90 minutes than the 2-1 scoreline suggests.
The only slight worry was that we played as well as we did and Boro still almost made it 2-2 late needed a block off the line to stop it being 2-2, we still need to work on our game management.

Player Ratings:
Lonergan 7- Made a routine save looked mostly composed.
Ayling 7- Crucial block off the line and an all round excellent game, poor decision for the penalty but this was much better off Luke.
Jansson 9- :luv: won everything in the air crucial block after crucial block covered his other defenders when out of position.
6 words Form Is Temporary Class Is Permanent.
Cooper 7- Crucial challenge before half time, however, a really poor miss in the second half which could have cost us.
Berardi 7- Solid performance once or twice a little bit out of position. His ability on the ball is also underrated as well linked up really well with Pablo. I've never understood this 'he can't play left back argument' he proved all last season how good he was in that position.
Vieira 8- Some real quality moments once again unbelievably consistent considering his age.
Phillips 8- A few poor passes and occasionally lacked discipline but crucial work for the first goal and helped Vieira to win the midfield battle.
Alioski 8- Lovely cross for the first and brilliant movement for the 2nd and his goal, gave us a real threat on the counter and gave Friend problems throughout always willing to run at players, works so hard defensively as well.
Saiz 6- A quiet game by Samu's standards, lost the ball a few too many times first half, incredibly unlucky not to score though. Wasn't quite at his creative best surprising considering how well we played.
Hernandez 9- Man Of The Match incredible always wanted the ball and good finish for his goal, then an excellent first time cross for the second. Created so many chances, some superb set piece delivieries just awesome today.
Roofe 8- Outstanding link up play superb, movement excellent and was always looking to run at the Boro defence. Excelent work for the second goal and just never stopped running.
Subs:
Ekuban 6- Worked really hard, struggled to link up play like Roofe did but did manage to force a few errors.

I have to say I was impressed by Assombalonga for Boro had very little service but was by far their best player on the day, has got a really good first touch and always willing to drift out wide and pull defenders out of position to run at them. Wow he would have been a great Wood replacement :(. Gets one chance and scores, comfortably one of the best strikers in the league.
Thought Jonny Howson had a good game as well played a few defence splitting passes and was the only player for Boro who actually looked like he wanted the ball.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote:Jansson 9- :luv: won everything in the air crucial block after crucial block covered his other defenders when out of position.
6 words Form Is Temporary Class Is Permanent.
So pleased for Pontus

Truly immense today :luv:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I was going to post my post match thoughts yesterday, but, to be honest, I was baffled by the the amount of praise that Roofe was getting. So much so, that I looked up his match stats, as I thought that he had his usual non-effective game.

Goals: 0
Assists: 0
Shots: 0
Tackles: 0
Crosses: 0
Headers Won: 2
Touches: 43
Dribbles: 2

Other than the dribble leading up to the second goal, I can't remember anything that he did that actually had an effect on the game.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:I was going to post my post match thoughts yesterday, but, to be honest, I was baffled by the the amount of praise that Roofe was getting. So much so, that I looked up his match stats, as I thought that he had his usual non-effective game.

Other than the dribble leading up to the second goal, I can't remember anything that he did that actually had an effect on the game.
Wow those stats don't look great Gandi

Couldn't we give the lad a half-assist for Alioski's goal :wink:

How many passes did he make with his 43 touches ?

He had little chance in the air v the giants although he did make leaps in an effort to win the ball
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote:I was going to post my post match thoughts yesterday, but, to be honest, I was baffled by the the amount of praise that Roofe was getting. So much so, that I looked up his match stats, as I thought that he had his usual non-effective game.

He played the ball to Alioski to cross for the first. I was impressed and not entirely convinced by Roofe, thought he did well, worked hard, linked well, perhapsit was low expectations on my part.

But the stats dont make good reading.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Football stats..is there anything more meaningless?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"