Caleb Ekuban

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Caleb Ekuban

Post by Cjay »

Is todays player. (Know he has only played twice but even so).

The 22 year old Ghanaian is a work in progress, a rare thing at Leeds, a TC signing, APOEL were tracking him before TC arrived at Leeds.

One of the criticisms is he is unproven, his best season was in Albania, however he play European football during his time there and did ok.

He is a big lad, 6ft2, strong, hard working (he injured himself chasing down) quick, and quite skillful, he has shown a good touch in his link up play.

Gets forgotten because of the Saiz treble, but Ekuban scored one and assisted 1 that day.

So where do people stand on Ekuban?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Caleb Ekuban

Post by Norm »

I wonder if he could play at CH!

We apparently have an excess of forwards.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He isnt the finished article, dont think he is a battering ram sort of forward, Wood, Madine etc.

More like dare i say it, Mario Balotelli, more about movement, pace, skill etc then brute force (despite both players being big, powerful men).

I like him (big fan of Balotelli as well).

He is something different, he is more mobile then Grot, Lassie etc, as shown with Pandev at Macedonia, Ali can thrive, Saiz and him (Ekuban) linked up well on there debuts, there was an understanding developing.

Second choice striker for me (ahead of Roofe).
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Norm wrote:I wonder if he could play at CH!

We apparently have an excess of forwards.
If the "links" are anything to go by then we will have a heck of a lot more forwards :roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

If the "links" are anything to go by then we will have a heck of a lot more forwards :roflmao:
I didn't actually see any of the game when he was injured - according to hitc he's due back soon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Deserves a mention.

Decent cameo. Closed down well and he is rapid.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

aye, not sure how he gets football going forward (Klich another) but looked promising.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Deserves a mention.

Decent cameo. Closed down well and he is rapid.
The lad has something, certainly has pace. Could be very useful to us as the season progresses
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:aye, not sure how he gets football going forward (Klich another) but looked promising.
Good point but hopefully he does get chances, mobile, fast, strong, decent option there.
Signed

King Cjay

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Just watched him on LUTV - 14+ minutes of stultifying, mind-numbing trivia - same question asked 10 different ways of people whose first language isn't English.
He actually seemed to understand a few questions and gave the standard drivel back, but he came across as a decent lad despite the questioners. Like others I don't know what game time he'll get but there was some mention (from his couple of appearances) of him melding well with our other newbies Ali and Saiz. I hope he gets a shot to show his worth. Pace and strength have been a rarity at Leeds in recent years.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not suggesting he should start ahead of Roofe tonight (although there is merit to it).

But, Roofe has been accused of being to lightweight for a main striker, Ekuban is 6ft 2 and powerfully built.

Lassie has been accused of being to static, slow and lazy, Ekuban likes to drift, come short, go out wide to use his pace (between him and Sacko for fastest at the club imo) and chased down a heck of a lot every time ive seen him.

Theres a lot to like about Ekuban and does seem like a nice lad, hope he gets some chances.
Signed

King Cjay

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:
Not suggesting he should start ahead of Roofe tonight (although there is merit to it).

But, Roofe has been accused of being to lightweight for a main striker, Ekuban is 6ft 2 and powerfully built.

Lassie has been accused of being to static, slow and lazy, Ekuban likes to drift, come short, go out wide to use his pace (between him and Sacko for fastest at the club imo) and chased down a heck of a lot every time ive seen him.

Theres a lot to like about Ekuban and does seem like a nice lad, hope he gets some chances.
After today, sooner rather than later.

We just had another collective off day. Getting a bit regular still, but we were world beaters on Sunday.
FGS (First Goal Syndrome) - they score first, they win; we score first, we win. It's very odd, I've never seen it quite so bad. We seem to have all the stuffing knocked out of us when the other side scores first.
The tykes game will tell us a lot.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Starts vs Barnsley imo.

Roofes lack of a goal threat was overshadowed by his all round play, link up and movement vs Boro.

Against Wolves he may as well not played.

Stats show that, isolated or not Lassie was criticised for the same when stats showed he barely touched the ball. Roofe was worse, 9 touches and 2 completed passes is woeful.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Caleb Ekuban vs. Barnsley:

28 touches
17 passes
3 shots
3 aerial duels won
2 chances created
1 tackle won

Great all round display, rusty in front of goal but he gets into the right positions, but for a last ditch block he would have had a tap in 2nd half.
Signed

King Cjay

8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

I question that one tackle.
I counted six times in the first half, where he got a foot in and kicked the ball away from the player in possession. Bloody tremendous work for a striker!
Give him a run in the team.
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Ran himself into the ground, dead on his feet when he came off.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Superb today. Just a shame he didn't get the goal that his performance deserved.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

8ballali wrote:I question that one tackle.
I counted six times in the first half, where he got a foot in and kicked the ball away from the player in possession. Bloody tremendous work for a striker!
Give him a run in the team.
Ekuban certainly made more than one tackle

He was all over the pitch, at one stage he was in the left-back position chasing back & clearing the ball
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:Superb today. Just a shame he didn't get the goal that his performance deserved.
We were hoping he'd get the full 90 minutes as we were willing him to score a goal he justly deserved
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Definitely a work in progress with CE but no doubting with his pace, strength and workrate that he has the raw ingredients to be a successful striker. The huge question is can he be a 20 goal a season striker and only time will tell. He did well last season but it is hard to judge as it was in the Albanian league.