A Class Above

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: A Class Above

Post by Norm »

Even further back than that, to when I first discovered football (and Leeds United), I would hear people slagging off Jack Charlton as useless when in fact he was just about always a classy and intelligent defender who had his eye on the smart thing to do, but he would be excoriated for not hoofing or nutting. He once visited my school in (I think) 1962 and the kids who listened to him speak liked the way he said things. You could tell he was a thinker in amongst all his other attributes.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Norm wrote:Even further back than that, to when I first discovered football (and Leeds United), I would hear people slagging off Jack Charlton as useless when in fact he was just about always a classy and intelligent defender who had his eye on the smart thing to do, but he would be excoriated for not hoofing or nutting. He once visited my school in (I think) 1962 and the kids who listened to him speak liked the way he said things. You could tell he was a thinker in amongst all his other attributes.
Each to there own, everyone has an opinion and thats what makes forums great fun.

But its to early to write off any of the new foreign lads for me.

We should be looking at the others, not in there first season, whats there excuse?
Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Jansson, O'Kane, Roofe, Hernandez, Phillips etc.

Can forgive the newer lads for being taken back by the physicality, but wheres there fight?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

Each to there own, everyone has an opinion and thats what makes forums great fun.

But its to early to write off any of the new foreign lads for me.

We should be looking at the others, not in there first season, whats there excuse?
Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Jansson, O'Kane, Roofe, Hernandez, Phillips etc.

Can forgive the newer lads for being taken back by the physicality, but wheres there fight?

I agree, but this is made more difficult because of the ones playing out of position or having to cover others' mistakes because we don't have a full quota (including reserves) of proper defenders in their correct slots.

Tend to agree about the new foreign lads, some of whom have shown real promise. However, the ones who aren't playing regularly should be loaned out imo to get game time and fitness, as has been said by others including yourself.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Norm wrote:I agree, but this is made more difficult because of the ones playing out of position or having to cover others' mistakes because we don't have a full quota (including reserves) of proper defenders in their correct slots.

Tend to agree about the new foreign lads, some of whom have shown real promise. However, the ones who aren't playing regularly should be loaned out imo to get game time and fitness, as has been said by others including yourself.
I agree on the squar pegs in round holes comment.

Tellingly, despite our recent troubles, most of the goals conceded have been down our right, Ayling has been directly responsible on numerous occasions, and Jansson has looked poor consequently.

I can kind of see the logic at Left back, Berardi was excellent last season and quite a few of us were satisfied with him replacing Taylor and signing a back up (CBJ).

The Cooper replacing Bartley situation is ridiculous and the only one major issue i have with our recruitment.

That aside, our "experienced players" havent performed in there correct positions. Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane etc. Very experienced players at this level, 2 of whom have been Captain this season regularly. None of that can be blamed on TC or Orta for that matter.

Agreed, Cibicki, Grot, Gomes etc should be loaned out in January to a League 1 club if possible. They may make it, they may not, but they deserve some time.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:I'll never forget Twiggs slating Howson time after time purely on the say so of his mates who attended games when he was actually class itself - look at the pass from Howson that led to Beckford's goal at OT when we beat scum in the FA Cup in January 2010 as an example. Twigg's mates were people who attended matches but yet couldn't seem to distinguish between class and dross, the kind of fan who would have preferred that journeyman Kilkenny to Howson because Howson would take the intelligent route as opposed to Kilkenny's headless chicken.

Horses for courses I suppose.
I personally was very disappointed to see Howson leave LUFC Norm

Hope he doesn't too much damage to us on Sunday
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:Even further back than that, to when I first discovered football (and Leeds United), I would hear people slagging off Jack Charlton as useless when in fact he was just about always a classy and intelligent defender who had his eye on the smart thing to do, but he would be excoriated for not hoofing or nutting. He once visited my school in (I think) 1962 and the kids who listened to him speak liked the way he said things. You could tell he was a thinker in amongst all his other attributes
Jack did well in management too unlike his more gifted brother Bobby
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:I agree on the squar pegs in round holes comment.

Tellingly, despite our recent troubles, most of the goals conceded have been down our right, Ayling has been directly responsible on numerous occasions, and Jansson has looked poor consequently.

I can kind of see the logic at Left back, Berardi was excellent last season and quite a few of us were satisfied with him replacing Taylor and signing a back up (CBJ).

The Cooper replacing Bartley situation is ridiculous and the only one major issue i have with our recruitment.

That aside, our "experienced players" havent performed in there correct positions. Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane. Very experienced players at this level, 2 of whom have been Captain this season regularly. None of that can be blamed on TC or Orta for that matter.
Agreed, Cibicki, Grot, Gomes etc should be loaned out in January to a League 1 club if possible. They may make it, they may not, but they deserve some time.
All three shouldn't start on Sunday

I suspect they will though :(
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

I personally was very disappointed to see Howson leave LUFC Norm

Hope he doesn't too much damage to us on Sunday
Me too - twot Bates had a lot to answer for.

I haven;t checked a 'Boro game to see how (or if) he's playing tbh.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:All three shouldn't start on Sunday

I suspect they will though :(
Agreed they shouldn't.

If he can be brave enough to drop Jansson against a high flying side like BCFC then hopefully he can be brave enough to drop the 3 Stooges.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Agreed they shouldn't.

If he can be brave enough to drop Jansson against a high flying side like BCFC then hopefully he can be brave enough to drop the 3 Stooges
:roflmao:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

If he can be brave enough to drop Jansson against a high flying side like BCFC then hopefully he can be brave enough to drop the 3 Stooges.
:lol: but true.