Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Kinnear Interview

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Kinnear Interview

Post by 1964white »

Phil Hay has been speaking to Leeds' MD Angus Kinnear about TC's future at ER

“I don’t think it’s fair to question him,” Kinnear said. “Most fair-minded supporters would look at a manager coming into a completely new league, a very challenging league, and working with a new squad with new players and say that to be three points off the play-offs now is not far off what you’d expect a new manager to do.

“In what we’ve seen at Thorp Arch and in a number of performances there’s plenty to suggest that Thomas has absolutely the potential to deliver in this league. The position we’re in is not way off track from where we want to be, three points off the play-offs. Our target is to get into the play-offs. “I think we’ve demonstrated we can beat any team in the division when the team play as they can.

However, Andrea and the rest of the board have really high standards and these results - and in some of the games, the underlying performances - don’t meet with those standards. “Naturally there’s concern because we need to stay in touch with the play-off places but we’re confident the ingredients are there to regain the form and get back on track.”

During Phil Hay's interview with Kinnear it was also revealed that both Wood and Green wanted to leave at the end of last season
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Kinnear Interview

Post by Norm »

Hmmmm!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Cliches-r-us
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

Are you sure it wasn't Roy Kinear giving the interview??
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:Are you sure it wasn't Roy Kinear giving the interview??
I liked Roy Kinnear Hector :lol:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Can't disagree with him. It is clear that we are not as good as our initial results showed. It is also clear that we are not as bad as recent results have indicated. I am confident that, given time, TC can reverse our recent form, but our over demanding supporters need to get behind him.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Pretty fair summary of where we are as a club I would say, Radz set out playoffs as being the objective this season (so as a manager I would take that as being a minimum requirement) therefore as soon as that objective looks like it will not be met TC is going to be on very thin ice. He's had a nice long international break and we need to come out firing, poor performance Sunday and GM could really do for his successor.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If we flipped the results and had started poorly then won a few everyone would be delighted. We are a work in progress and as such inconsistency will likely continue until the team fully gels and some players get their form back. We are not as bad as we have shown and equally we are not going to be consistently as good as we have shown, sometimes circumstances dictate games such as us getting an early goal v Forest and then producing a superb performance where on another day if we conceded the opening goal to Forest we might have gone on to play cr*p.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gandalf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 am
Can't disagree with him. It is clear that we are not as good as our initial results showed. It is also clear that we are not as bad as recent results have indicated. I am confident that, given time, TC can reverse our recent form, but our over demanding supporters need to get behind him.
I agree gandi but our over-demanding moronic element would already only be behind him to kick his arse out of ER.
If we don't get at least a draw on Sunday and play some decent stuff TC's life is going to get a lot harder, with the aforesaid moronic element beginning the boos and demands for his exit.

It's such a shame because he's trying to get us to play the Barca way, with some class and control, and that's not a 5-minute job. It's even taken Pep over a full season to get Citeh going. I don't like tiki-taka per se, but elements of it lead to a controlling style of play, where we wouldn't have the loss of everything that we've suffered in some recent games. The ability to retain possession is key to success imo and we were half way to doing that before Millwall nutmegged us and shattered our obviously fragile confidence.

TC's dilemna is whether he keeps on with his quest or settles for a simpler style of play. His sweeper-keeper preference has already gone out of the window so I don't know what he is going to do. I hope fervently that he succeeds because I'd hate to see him leave.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Can't disagree with him. It is clear that we are not as good as our initial results showed. It is also clear that we are not as bad as recent results have indicated. I am confident that, given time, TC can reverse our recent form, but our over demanding supporters need to get behind him.
I'm not demanding we sack TC as I don't apportion all the blame on him

As for being clear that we are not as bad as recent results have indicated I have to disagree

We are struggling to have any control in all areas of the pitch from the No.1 to the No.9 position

We were feeble in the first 45 minutes at Brentford & for the 2nd half v Derby plus for long periods of the Blunts game creating very few chances & making mistakes all over the park. Millwall, Cardiff & Sheff Wed were just as poor. Bad luck has played no part in all our defeats, TC & the players have created their own downfall with a series of unbelievable errors I would expect from a pub team :(

I can't recall such a bad run of results/performances when we apparently had worst players than we have now in all my years watching Leeds United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Pretty fair summary of where we are as a club I would say, Radz set out playoffs as being the objective this season (so as a manager I would take that as being a minimum requirement) therefore as soon as that objective looks like it will not be met TC is going to be on very thin ice. He's had a nice long international break and we need to come out firing poor performance Sunday and GM could really do for his successor.
Our performances after an international break is quite simply appalling

After what I heard a few weeks ago I'm not surprised :(
hector

Post by hector »

Spill the beans....

What did you hear??/ do tell
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:If we flipped the results and had started poorly then won a few everyone would be delighted. We are a work in progress and as such inconsistency will likely continue until the team fully gels and some players get their form back. We are not as bad as we have shown and equally we are not going to be consistently as good as we have shown, sometimes circumstances dictate games such as us getting an early goal v Forest and then producing a superb performance where on another day if we conceded the opening goal to Forest we might have gone on to play cr*p.
You attain results by playing the correct way & making minimal errors throughout the 90 minutes.

Unfortunately it's no coincidence we lose matches due to conceding too many late goals, all down to the players lack of fitness as it appears they are treading water the longer the game goes on.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:Spill the beans....

What did you hear??/ do tell
Nothing unusual with footballers Hector

Clubbing/drinking on the days leading up to games, is it any wonder they look half-pi**ed & shattered come match day. They are suppose to be professionals, a disgrace imo !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Phil Hay has been speaking to Leeds' MD Angus Kinnear about TC's future at ER

“I don’t think it’s fair to question him,” Kinnear said. “Most fair-minded supporters would look at a manager coming into a completely new league, a very challenging league, and working with a new squad with new players and say that to be three points off the play-offs now is not far off what you’d expect a new manager to do.

“In what we’ve seen at Thorp Arch and in a number of performances there’s plenty to suggest that Thomas has absolutely the potential to deliver in this league. The position we’re in is not way off track from where we want to be, three points off the play-offs. Our target is to get into the play-offs. “I think we’ve demonstrated we can beat any team in the division when the team play as they can.

However, Andrea and the rest of the board have really high standards and these results - and in some of the games, the underlying performances - don’t meet with those standards. “Naturally there’s concern because we need to stay in touch with the play-off places but we’re confident the ingredients are there to regain the form and get back on track.”

During Phil Hay's interview with Kinnear it was also revealed that both Wood and Green wanted to leave at the end of last season
Cant be that high, we have Liam Cooper as 1st choice cb :shock:

Pretty fair assessment.

3 points off the playoffs is fine, frustrating in a way because had we got that quality cb and lb where would we be then :(

There have been some quality showings, enough to give hope. Even when we have won in the past seasons rarely was it a quality all round performance, would that be fair to say? Grinded out a lot of results last season, excellent heart but at the same time could easily have gone the other way on some of the wins.

This season, we have won, and won convincingly.

Still say top 6.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
hector

Post by hector »

I see... a few years back (you guess) I lived in Nuneaton, and used to drink in Leicester and quite regularly bumped into "professional" footballers on the piss... one occasion on a friday night, Emile Heskey was out on the piss with his "mates" and was popping pills galore during the night, and played the next day..

also Trevor Peake and crew from Cov City used to come into the pub I worked at and drank Stella and 1080 cider snake bites...
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:Our performances after an international break is quite simply appalling

After what I heard a few weeks ago I'm not surprised :(
Yep - just hope for TC and the clubs sakes he’s found some way to turn that round, always think in theory the International breaks are a bad thing if you’re going well and a good thing if not...,.as I say, in theory.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

weasel wrote:If we flipped the results and had started poorly then won a few everyone would be delighted. We are a work in progress and as such inconsistency will likely continue until the team fully gels and some players get their form back. We are not as bad as we have shown and equally we are not going to be consistently as good as we have shown, sometimes circumstances dictate games such as us getting an early goal v Forest and then producing a superb performance where on another day if we conceded the opening goal to Forest we might have gone on to play cr*p.
Nearly posted the same thing Weasel and I think the only argument against this is that the results didn’t play out like that, as a new squad we’ve looked less convincing as time has gone on which is the opposite of what you would expect. I’m not advocating getting rid of TC but when Radz has said top 6 pretty much is the benchmark if we have 2 or 3 more poor results I think we will see a change whether it’s the right or wrong thing is another question.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:I see... a few years back (you guess) I lived in Nuneaton, and used to drink in Leicester and quite regularly bumped into "professional" footballers on the piss... one occasion on a friday night, Emile Heskey was out on the piss with his "mates" and was popping pills galore during the night, and played the next day..

also Trevor Peake and crew from Cov City used to come into the pub I worked at and drank Stella and 1080 cider snake bites...
As I say Hector this pattern of behaviour is totally out of order, to me they are cheating the fans if they are not fit to perform due to something self-inflicted

I remember my time managing a record store in Bournemouth during the late 70's when half the Ipswich squad entered our shop during mid-afternoon & caused mayhem as they had too much to drink. In the end I asked them to leave, they were reluctant to go so I picked up the phone to ring the police, they soon shifted off the premises. We are talking Internationals here such as Marriner, Wark, Beattie, etc. Was always pleased to see the Tractor Boys lose after that incident :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Cant be that high, we have Liam Cooper as 1st choice cb :shock:
:roflmao:

Always insisted he isn't good enough for an ambitious club
Cjay wrote:frustrating in a way because had we got that quality cb and lb where would we be then
Blame Radz/Orta for making signings on the cheap
Cjay wrote:There have been some quality showings, enough to give hope
I can only see one atm. Lasogga & Alioski have to show much more to convinced my totally
Cjay wrote:Still say top 6.
We need at least 4 points from our next 3 tough games to stay in the picture