Monday Breakfast Debate - Are we out of the rut ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Monday Breakfast Debate - Are we out of the rut ?

Post by 1964white »

Have to say I thought Middlesbro' were poor yesterday, I expected much more from them.
They reminded me the way Leeds have been performing of late during our bad run.
Boro' certainly had the Monk shackles look about them as we witnessed so often last season at Leeds.

Questions are :

Do you think we've come out of the rut we were in ?

Would you start with the same line-up at Wolves ?
gessa

Re: Monday Breakfast Debate - Are we out of the rut ?

Post by gessa »

No idea, it will take a few more games yet to see whether we have or not but more of yesterday type performances then we should be ok, consistency is what we lack

Yes, we seemed more of a threat with Roofe's pace up front than the statuesque Lasogga. We can't afford to sit back against Wolves.., we should take the game to them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Yes, we seemed more of a threat with Roofe's pace up front than the statuesque Lasogga. We can't afford to sit back against Wolves.., we should take the game to them.
Agree we need to start well & not allow Wolves to dominate us, they will play football on the ground so we need to play them at their own game

Wolves & Barnsley games will tell us more whether we've overcome our bad run
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Can't agree that it was the same old Monk. When they were chasing the game he brought
on two attacking players in Fletcher and Traore. Fletcher did not do much but Traore with
his pace put in a few sweet crosses. We had to double up on him to cancel out that threat.

One swallow does not a summer make but if we get anything out of the game at Wolves
I would say we might have turned a corner and are back on track.

I t was nice to see how Radrazini embraced TC after the game. Everyone benefits from encouragement.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Consistency is perhaps the main element here. In my opinion, I did not think we were a million miles away from having our best XI yesterday. It may be debated whether each of the individuals are the best at their particular role, position, however as a collective team, I felt we were balanced, and there seemed to be good vocal, non-vocal communication between respective players.

Yes, there will and should be tweaking to suit home, away, formation, physical, height variations of opponents, however until we settle and work with the first XI, then we will struggle to progress to the next level.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Only time will tell and at times it is fine margins. Pablo scores the penalty in injury time v Reading and we don't lose, different referee v Derby and we maybe win the game. Saiz shot goes in at 2-0 yesterday and we cruise to win instead a shockingly poor refereeing decision could have seen us draw the game.
I don't think we are as bad as we have looked at times and equally we are not going to play the same every week as we did in some of our early matches.

Probably. Only possible change might be Lasogga for Roofe although think Roofe did enough to keep his place. Hopefully this game will suit us as Wolves will look to attack and if they don't score early we can hopefully counter attack them very well.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:Can't agree that it was the same old Monk. When they were chasing the game he brought
on two attacking players in Fletcher and Traore. Fletcher did not do much but Traore with
his pace put in a few sweet crosses. We had to double up on him to cancel out that threat.
Monk set his side up for a 0-0 draw, he only showed some attacking intent when it was more or less too late at 2-0 down. I was fearful of Traore but we coped with him quite well I thought
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Monk set his side up for a 0-0 draw, he only showed some attacking intent when it was more or less too late at 2-0 down. I was fearful of Traore but we coped with him quite well I thought
Agree fully. Monk set out his stall to keep it tight and try to nick the game on a set piece. At Leeds he showed attacking intent when behind but didn't have the same options on the bench as he has at Boro as such it was simply a case of him swapping wingers at Leeds. With the players he has at his disposal he should be taking the game to teams and blowing them out of the water instead he is copying his tactics from at Leeds and hoping to nick a game from a set piece of hoping someone can do what Chris Wood did so often last year.

For all Monk's protestations that we didn't really trouble them we scored twice and hit the post from open play. Contrast that to last year where most games we created hardly any decent chances in open play - even in our best Monk performance, the magnificent performance v Derby, we only really looked like scoring from corners and only actually scored from a penalty.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not sure about turned a corner, you'd hope so. But think we should credit ourselves more then "wow Boro were poor". Boro were poor because we made them poor, we pressed, we were slick and incisive, we were solid and had an excellent defensive shape. We thoroughly deserved that win and could easily have been 4-1. Thats a good boro side, poor or not there still in the playoffs, we made them look poor. Same as the Bristol game, they may have been poor but we made them poor. They win that game and they would be joint 3rd now just 4points off top. What we do know is at our best we can beat the form sides, Boro and Bristol were form sides and we made them look ordinary.

Yes, same side vs Wolves, consistent selection, half tempted to say Ekuban but that wouldn't be fair on Roofe, he deserves his start vs Wolves, in fact the entire team do. Nervous about Wolves, absolutely, but was nervous about Boro and Bristol City. Said 9 points in our next three fixtures, was half joking but why not? We beat 2 sides comfortably who have both given Wolves real scares this season, there not unbeatable.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
KD1980
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @Kevduckworth

Post by KD1980 »

I think one of the major things from yesterday was the players didn’t even look like they had lost their last 6 of 7 games it was like we had won our last 6 of 7. Confidence was high which is great work from Christiansen over the international break! People calling for the sack are crazy! He knows what he’s doing and will get it wrong sometimes but he is still learning the league!!

As for Boro they looked like a team that set up to nick a goal to win as they did against Sunderland in their last game. If they were to sack monk and get a better manager with more attacking style they’d walk the league. They have some very good players.

Wolves will be another big test they’re not top for nothing but it’s a game we are more than capable of winning by a few goals as well. I think team stays the same and give Ekuban more than 10 minutes as he looked sharp! Hernandez for me is they big player this season he’ll win us a lot of games and I know Saiz and Alioski look the part at the minute but the experience is key!

I’d say I’m happy with a point against Wolves but I really think we can beat anyone if we want it enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk