Brexit

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Brexit

Post by liggy »

Anyhoo I leave you all in peace
It's just a footy forum and as getting it of me chest :pig:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

A referendum was always constitutionally necessary for entry to the CM (later EU), and in fact any change in our system of government - but Ted Heath went into the Common Market via Parliamentary majority vote, which was really I suspect unconstitutional and should have been overturned by the Lords but wasn't, and the UK High Court doesn't have the teeth the US Supreme Court has.

That 'any change in the system of government' has precluded Communists and possibly others from changing our system without the need for a referendum or at least another General Election on the specific issue. Don't knock the rock.

The House of Lords was able to delay Commons bills for 2 years, but had 1 absolute veto over Commons bills - that of any government trying to change our system without the peoples' approval.

The Monarch had one absolute veto over any government - being able to stop any elected government trying to extend its own life without the peoples' consent.

These were really valuable protections.

I'm unsure what Tony Bliar's changes to our parliamentary system did in his term of office, but I'm sure there was some skulduggery, so I'm no longer absolutely sure what protections we have.

Just thought you'd all like a little homework. :)
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Referendums allow the rabble too much power...produce knee jerk results that haven't been thought through....and leave us in the mess we have now.

Ban them now......we have a Parliament for these things.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ronan wrote:Referendums allow the rabble too much power...produce knee jerk results that haven't been thought through....and leave us in the mess we have now.

Ban them now......we have a Parliament for these things.

Elected by the rabble maybe we should ban elections too. Actually electing a parliament is a way more challenging thing to do than voting in a referendum.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

But Ronan - we don't have a mess - we just want out. :tup:

It's parliament that took us in illegally.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Sleep well liggy
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Let's just make the best of a bad situation....that's me out.....we will never agree.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Ronan wrote:Let's just make the best of a bad situation....that's me out.....we will never agree.
That's not like you Ronan
Not to be argumentative
:roflmao:
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

liggy wrote:That's not like you Ronan
Not to be argumentative
:roflmao:
Lost interest
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Norm wrote:But Ronan - we don't have a mess - we just want out. :tup:

It's parliament that took us in illegally.
Edited..........no, like Ronan, I can't be arsed. Any expression of regret or disappointment at the direction this country is being taken gets met with "remoaners" or similar. Pointless arguing.