best T.V of 2017

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: best T.V of 2017

Post by hector »

I am about to watch the series "the end of the F***ing world" meant to be funny
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Long time listener, not first time poster.
Keep popping in every now and then for a look see.

Amazed no-one has yet mentioned The Handmaid's Tale - harrowing, but remarkably topical.

Put me down for:-
Westworld
Game of Thrones
The Orville (on the basis of three episodes shown in 2017!)
Stranger Things
and (cos I can't count)
The Expanse
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote:Long time listener, not first time poster.
Keep popping in every now and then for a look see.

Amazed no-one has yet mentioned The Handmaid's Tale - harrowing, but remarkably topical.
Hi J how are you :moggy:

Another series I missed :(
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

I'm okay.

Still working too much, have spent the year looking at options, but am not there yet...

Otherwise, good, thanks. Still at the gym three times a week, doing my cardio 8-) How's you and the missus?
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote:I'm okay.

Still working too much, have spent the year looking at options, but am not there yet...

Otherwise, good, thanks. Still at the gym three times a week, doing my cardio 8-) How's you and the missus?
Work does get in the way, much more stress in ones employment especially in your line of work

We're fine mate :-D

Glad to hear you are recovering J :tup:
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

hector wrote:I was about to give up on Westworld after 2 episodes, but was told to persevere and did so, glad I did, it is well worth it in the end

The Durells was horrible I just wanted to punch the whole lot of them, considering it was supposed to be based on his life, it was a bit far fetched..
GOT I was a late arriver to the series, but now up to date, it is quite good.

I also watched New Blood the other week, and think it has potential to be very good, especially as it is written by Anthony Horrowitz
:evil: :evil: :evil: You obviously have no taste whatsoever :P

yes Swan the Durrells is lovely Sunday evening viewing, can't wait for the next series :tup:

I too loved the original film Westworld with Yul Brynner but my eldest son bought me the boxed set of Westworld for Christmas so gave it a go and love it, quite dark but good storyline and very gripping.

I was late to the party with GOT too and my eldest bought me the first 3 seasons for Christmas a couple of years ago. I binged on it over 2 weeks, had to go and buy series 4 and then 5 and then I think I caught up and had to wait for it to be on the telly. Worth watching it for Kit Harrington alone and dare I say Emilia Clarke :oops: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Emilia Clarke is hot as Daenerys Targaryen...Wonderful series which pushes through the boundaries of television and leaves you wanting more every single episode...But they're going to struggle to end it satifactorily
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote:So what do you think of the first two episodes Hector ?

Well that was a good series...

Now watching hard sun...... excellent track to play out episode 1... 5 years - Bowie, I just knew that it had to be played at some point in the series....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote:Well that was a good series...

Now watching hard sun...... excellent track to play out episode 1... 5 years - Bowie, I just knew that it had to be played at some point in the series....

Enjoying hard sun so far but that lass takes a lot of hits ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

Took a fair few in the first episode...

I get confused.. some shots she looks about 16 and others she looks 40... very misleading face...
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

New series of The Durrells started last night :) I'm sure Hector was glued to it :lol: Excellent as usual and dare I confess I think I have a girl crush on Keeley Hawes :oops: Anyone else watch it? Swan or Mrs 64 perhaps? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: best T.V of 2018

Post by The Subhuman »

Collateral had a unsatisfying ending

The Good Place just gets better and better

Superstore is much much better than I thought it was going to be, some really strong and funny characters

Endeavour - Quality as usual

Shetland with it's best and tightest series to date...has been the best show so far
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Possibly too colloquial to have mainstream appeal, but Derry Girls was excellent, proper laugh out loud funny. And the most recent series of Gomorrah has been arguably its best. It takes good television to make you care about characters with little or no redeeming features. I'm hoping it's been mentioned already, but if not, Peaky Blinders. Great drama, and fantastic use of music (both old and contemporary) throughout
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 pm New series of The Durrells started last night :) I'm sure Hector was glued to it :lol: Excellent as usual and dare I confess I think I have a girl crush on Keeley Hawes :oops: Anyone else watch it? Swan or Mrs 64 perhaps? :bear:
I haven't seen The Durrells at all bb. I did suggest to Mr Swan that we might watch this series but I don't think he will. ( I could always download the first series first episode and have a sneaky peaky.... :) )
We watched 'McMafia' which I thought was brilliant, 'Next of Kin' again brilliant and 'Collateral' not as good as the other two imo. Also for me, 'Silent Witness' always delivers. We've recorded 'Shetland' so will watch the first two episodes tonight, 3 and 4 tomorrow, and 5 and 6 Wednesday :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm I haven't seen The Durrells at all bb. I did suggest to Mr Swan that we might watch this series but I don't think he will. ( I could always download the first series first episode and have a sneaky peaky.... :) )
We watched 'McMafia' which I thought was brilliant, 'Next of Kin' again brilliant and 'Collateral' not as good as the other two imo. Also for me, 'Silent Witness' always delivers. We've recorded 'Shetland' so will watch the first two episodes tonight, 3 and 4 tomorrow, and 5 and 6 Wednesday :)
So many plot holes in Collateral at the end and "why would they do that" moments it didn't work

Just started Keeping Faith on iplayer I like Eve Myles
gessa

Re: best T.V of 2018

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm Collateral had a unsatisfying ending

Agreed.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

becchio bear wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 pm New series of The Durrells started last night :) I'm sure Hector was glued to it :lol: Excellent as usual and dare I confess I think I have a girl crush on Keeley Hawes :oops: Anyone else watch it? Swan or Mrs 64 perhaps? :bear:
No BB I haven't seen The Durrells
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 pm Possibly too colloquial to have mainstream appeal, but Derry Girls was excellent, proper laugh out loud funny. And the most recent series of Gomorrah has been arguably its best. It takes good television to make you care about characters with little or no redeeming features. I'm hoping it's been mentioned already, but if not, Peaky Blinders. Great drama, and fantastic use of music (both old and contemporary) throughout

Derry Girls was excellent.

That'll be 5 bags of chips.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

gessa wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm Derry Girls was excellent.

That'll be 5 bags of chips.
I think they ended up with 7 in the end, feckin chips everywhere!! they've commisioned a second series :tup:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm I think they ended up with 7 in the end, feckin chips everywhere!! they've commisioned a second series :tup:
That's good.

Still got to watch the last 2.