January signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

January signings

Post by woodfordwhites »

looks like leeds are ready to confirm the signing of 19 year old cb aapo halme his 6ft5 from Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi in Finland
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: January signings

Post by 1964white »

Just checked this 19yo Finnish CB as I know nothing about him

I not doubting he maybe a talented lad but is this the type of signing required right now ?

Seems like another Shaughnessy type signing, one for the future possibly

Surely if we aiming for a play-off place we need to be looking at First XI not bench or U23 players
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I know some people say that the January transfer window is not the best time to bring in new talent - but I really don't see the point of signing anyone who is not going to strengthen the starting line-up. Unless we can do that, I am more than happy to go with our current squad for the rest of the season.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Just checked this 19yo Finnish CB as I know nothing about him

I not doubting he maybe a talented lad but is this the type of signing required right now ?

Seems like another Shaughnessy type signing, one for the future possibly

Surely if we aiming for a play-off place we need to be looking at First XI not bench or U23 players
Would hope that he was an upgrade on Shaugnessy given that Shaugnessy had played no games at a competitive level at either midfield or defender whereas this lad has clocked up an impressive amount of matches for a very good team - albeit in not an elite league but certainly a decent level for a youngster.

Surely signing players for the bench or U23 doesn't rule us out for signing first team players - as show in the summer we can sign players for the present and for the future.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Would hope that he was an upgrade on Shaugnessy given that Shaugnessy had played no games at a competitive level at either midfield or defender whereas this lad has clocked up an impressive amount of matches for a very good team - albeit in not an elite league but certainly a decent level for a youngster.

Surely signing players for the bench or U23 doesn't rule us out for signing first team players - as show in the summer we can sign players for the present and for the future.
You would hope so but is he ?

I just hope we're not going to the adopt the scatter gun approach again.

At least three top signings are required probably more if we wish to sustain a top six place, we didn't do enough in the summer, we have to get it right this month !

Would be a first if we do as we've never got it right in January previously
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Halme is to become another development squad player who are bottom of the league :shock:

The future is bright at ER :lol:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Halme helped HJK win the Finnish top-flight last season when they stormed to the championship by a massive 20 points.
He has made 36 total appearances for in Finland’s capital, but now he is on the verge of moving to Elland Road.
However fans do not appear to believe that it is a good piece of business by director of football Victor Orta,
who has splashed the cash on strengthening the development side at Leeds since he was hired
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

On the one hand its pleasing to sign talented youngsters.

On the other hand its annoying, January if your doing business is the time to sign those 1 or 2 urgently required first team players, not kids for 5 years time.

Welcome any new player and will give time, but hope this is the first of a few signings ( the rest being 1st team)

Klich-£2m (wages plus rumored fee)
Lasogga- £1m (wages)
CBJ- £500K WAGES
Sacko-£2m (wages and fee) roughly

Players who have hardly played, could have saved roughly £5m
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

To be fair Cjay, it's a lot cheaper than if we'd bought them, and then found they aren't living up to their billing. The way AR has done it, we can send them back, and try someone else.
I hope the rumours a while ago about us trying to sign the Mexican midfielder turn out to be true, and we get him.. He could be a key player, and help Kalvin and Ronaldo to learn, ready for the premier league.
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

8ballali wrote:To be fair Cjay, it's a lot cheaper than if we'd bought them, and then found they aren't living up to their billing. The way AR has done it, we can send them back, and try someone else.
I hope the rumours a while ago about us trying to sign the Mexican midfielder turn out to be true, and we get him.. He could be a key player, and help Kalvin and Ronaldo to learn, ready for the premier league.
We did buy Sacko after some inconsistent to say the least games. 1.5-2m we paid.

Guardado would be a dream signing.

Unfortunately i imagine thats all it will ever be :(
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Does tally with what Phil Hay said few weeks ago.

"Quiet transfer window, young centre back and striker a priority".
Signed

King Cjay

8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Leeds United can confirm that a fee has been agreed with GAMBA OSAKA for the transfer of Japanese International midfielder Yosuke Ideguchi
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

8ballali wrote:Leeds United can confirm that a fee has been agreed with GAMBA OSAKA for the transfer of Japanese International midfielder Yosuke Ideguchi
We wont see him until next season though will we?
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Shields53 wrote:
We wont see him until next season though will we?
No. I'm afraid not. Has to play a few games in the world Cup to qualify for international clearance I think.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

8ballali wrote:No. I'm afraid not. Has to play a few games in the world Cup to qualify for international clearance I think.
He satisfies the Qualification criteria, as he has played in more than 75% of Japan's international games over the last two years, but Japan need to move into the top 50 in the world (Currently 75th), which they should do after partaking in the World Cup.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Oh I see. Thanks. I guess I better support Japan for the first phase then.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote:He satisfies the Qualification criteria, as he has played in more than 75% of Japan's international games over the last two years, but Japan need to move into the top 50 in the world (Currently 75th), which they should do after partaking in the World Cup.

I have 57th in the world from a couple of sources, there is also a points system for appealing if that way doesn't work. He's very close to qualification I'd say.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote:I have 57th in the world from a couple of sources, there is also a points system for appealing if that way doesn't work. He's very close to qualification I'd say.
Their world status may have been readjusted after qualifying for the World Cup, not sure how that system works tbh.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also don't understand how he could play for CL and not us, we're both EU countries and subject to the same employment law
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

He will move to Elland Road in the January window and immediately head abroad on loan to a European club in a country where work permits regulations are more lenient than the Football Association’s.
For the 2006–07 season, the limits on foreign (non-EU) players were lifted, based on a decision of the German Football Association (DFB) and Deutsche Fußball Liga made on 21 December 2005.