January signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: January signings

Post by 8ballali »

Cjay wrote: Yeah, Dack went to Blackburn for 750k plus add ons, Dean cost Birmingham £1.5m, Maddison was available in the summer for about £1m before he signed a new deal on the last day of the transfer window.
Oh I see. I was thinking of Marriott. He was £6m. I thought Maddison was a winger. I haven't seen them play.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

8ballali wrote:Oh I see. I was thinking of Marriott. He was £6m. I thought Maddison was a winger. I haven't seen them play.

He cost Pboro 450k in the summer :) (Jack Marriott).

Just shows that there were bargains closer to home.

Good player Maddison , can play all across the front line, number 10 or either side. We apparently had him signed a while ago but Cellino pulled out.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Another point in relation to signing a striker is also getting one that can fit into the system we play. We are still to a large degree playing as if Chris Wood was still up front and if for example we went for a Jordan Rhodes, Nugent, Ross McCormack style signing for all they have scored goals elsewhere do they fit into our system? It can obviously be argued that neither Roofe, Lasogga or Ekuban fit it either and perhaps we are still trying to adapt to Wood leaving as because he left after the season had started we were presumably training in the summer with him in that position.

Perhaps a Hugill type player would fit the role but is he worth the fee being suggested? Would the lad from Peterborough be able to play it, I would guess not as I don't think he is that type of forward. Perhaps TC has been changing the formation during the week in Spain into a way that either suits Lasogga/Roofe/Ekuban better if playing 1 up top or even suits 2 of them playing together and maybe he feels that a formation that suits them better will get more out of them than it would get out of a new signing.

Just speculation really but shows how there is much more to getting a transfer right than simply signing someone who is doing well elsewhere.

For those overly concerned about the scoring record of this striker that we have been linked with just because they aren't prolific at the start doesn't mean they can't be. A certain Alan Shearer burst onto the scene towards the end of the 1988 season with a hat trick but didn't score in his other 4 matches. The following season 0 goals in 10 matches. The next year 3 in 26 matches. The next year 4 in 36. The following year 13 goals in 41 matches - hardly prolific (less than 1 in 5) yet the right people saw the potential and he went to Blackburn and in 4 seasons scored 112 goals in 138 matches. Don't know anything about the lad to be fair but that is why I am not jetting around the world looking at players for Leeds to sign. Thierry Henry record before Arsenal was similar to Shearer (23 goals in 121 matches) but he became a clinical striker.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote:Another point in relation to signing a striker is also getting one that can fit into the system we play. We are still to a large degree playing as if Chris Wood was still up front and if for example we went for a Jordan Rhodes, Nugent, Ross McCormack style signing for all they have scored goals elsewhere do they fit into our system? It can obviously be argued that neither Roofe, Lasogga or Ekuban fit it either and perhaps we are still trying to adapt to Wood leaving as because he left after the season had started we were presumably training in the summer with him in that position.

Perhaps a Hugill type player would fit the role but is he worth the fee being suggested? Would the lad from Peterborough be able to play it, I would guess not as I don't think he is that type of forward. Perhaps TC has been changing the formation during the week in Spain into a way that either suits Lasogga/Roofe/Ekuban better if playing 1 up top or even suits 2 of them playing together and maybe he feels that a formation that suits them better will get more out of them than it would get out of a new signing.

Just speculation really but shows how there is much more to getting a transfer right than simply signing someone who is doing well elsewhere.

For those overly concerned about the scoring record of this striker that we have been linked with just because they aren't prolific at the start doesn't mean they can't be. A certain Alan Shearer burst onto the scene towards the end of the 1988 season with a hat trick but didn't score in his other 4 matches. The following season 0 goals in 10 matches. The next year 3 in 26 matches. The next year 4 in 36. The following year 13 goals in 41 matches - hardly prolific (less than 1 in 5) yet the right people saw the potential and he went to Blackburn and in 4 seasons scored 112 goals in 138 matches. Don't know anything about the lad to be fair but that is why I am not jetting around the world looking at players for Leeds to sign. Thierry Henry record before Arsenal was similar to Shearer (23 goals in 121 matches) but he became a clinical striker.
Think the closest we have come to perfect for our system is Ekuban, he has the pace to work the channels, but he also has the build and physicality to put himself about, this guy does seem to be similar, but for the price that we are paying, thats a huge risk.

Appreciate what your trying to say but Alan Shearer was playing at a higher level then the lad we are looking at, and he wasnt looking to go up a level, just get better at the level he was at. We need a striker who can improve and come in and hit the ground running, for the fee we are paying its a huge risk to expect thatfrom someone who hasnt really shone at a lower level then ours and is now in his mid 20s. Especially for the fee thats being thrown about, thats a lot of money for us, on a guy who can no longer be called a "young talent" . Unlike both Shearer and Henry when they moved to there clubs.

And Henry had performed decently at a decent level in France since he was in his late teens, good enough to earn a move to Juve so that isnt really something that can be used as an alleviation of concerns.
Signed

King Cjay

paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Well said Weasel as ever. Strikers / goalscorers are often different ! Possibly not vastly now , but whereas one time certain attacking players were out and out goalscorers . Others did the hard graft we cannot depend on the former anymore not at Leeds . We would love it if we had one but ..they cost way to much . January we can forget about it anyway so the emphasis has to otherwise ie ., system that can adapt to getting the team creating and attacking with purpose on how to deal with opposition literally game on game. Unfortunately having a lot of players ineligible at this stage is a huge blow.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote:Think the closest we have come to perfect for our system is Ekuban, he has the pace to work the channels, but he also has the build and physicality to put himself about, this guy does seem to be similar, but for the price that we are paying, thats a huge risk.

Appreciate what your trying to say but Alan Shearer was playing at a higher level then the lad we are looking at, and he wasnt looking to go up a level, just get better at the level he was at. We need a striker who can improve and come in and hit the ground running, for the fee we are paying its a huge risk to expect thatfrom someone who hasnt really shone at a lower level then ours and is now in his mid 20s. Especially for the fee thats being thrown about, thats a lot of money for us, on a guy who can no longer be called a "young talent" . Unlike both Shearer and Henry when they moved to there clubs.

And Henry had performed decently at a decent level in France since he was in his late teens, good enough to earn a move to Juve so that isnt really something that can be used as an alleviation of concerns.
I was trying to make the point more that a player can be a better player than their bare stats show. Dalglish (and others) saw the potential in Shearer rather than the 1 in 5 ratio. With Henry like you say he had pedigree rather than stats which is why Juventus and then Arsenal paid big money for him. I know nothing about the striker we have been linked with or any youth pedigree etc but again that is why Orta and his team are the ones making the signing as they will have access to everything and see a reason for him being worth the money. Also there must be a reason why his club value him so highly too and presumably this must mean they have had decent offers from elsewhere. Saiz cannot be described as a young talent but they saw something there that presumably not many other teams did.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing for me, or you, to get excited about with this signing on the face of it but again let's give him the chance to prove us wrong rather than just writing him off straight away.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Big difference between a 17 -20year old coming through and a 26 year old established player. By the time Shearer was the age of Mbakogu he'd scored nearly 180 goals at the top level
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

To compare our potential signing to Shearer or Henry is ridiculous. As stated Mbakogu is 26, he is not going to get any better than he is now and to pay the amount being mentioned will be madness,
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

MightyWhites wrote:To compare our potential signing to Shearer or Henry is ridiculous. As stated Mbakogu is 26, he is not going to get any better than he is now and to pay the amount being mentioned will be madness,
Agree yes we need a striker but this signing seems like yet another Orta disaster imo!

Since Antenucci joined SPAL, he has scored 24 goals in 51 appearances, and they are (now) playing in Serie A.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Meanwhile Afobe is off to Wolves
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

1964white wrote:
Agree yes we need a striker but this signing seems like yet another Orta disaster imo!

Since Antenucci joined SPAL, he has scored 24 goals in 51 appearances, and they are (now) playing in Serie A.
Antenucci was a good striker. We just didn't feed him the ball to feet. High balls in the area suit big centre-backs.
Same prom with Lasogga. Don't put the ball into the six yard box, as he isn't built to out springs t everyone e to get there. Pull it back behind the penalty spot for him to shoot

Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:Agree yes we need a striker but this signing seems like yet another Orta disaster imo!

Good striker - shame he's not still here
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:Meanwhile Afobe is off to Wolves
With where Wolves are in the league and the cash available to pay players I wouldn't imagine that was a hard sell.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tobias Figueiredo signs on loan for Notts Forest.

Portuguese cb, linked to us from Sporting in Portugal.
Signed

King Cjay

gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote:Tobias Figueiredo signs on loan for Notts Forest.

He's 23 mate, far too old for us.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote:Tobias Figueiredo signs on loan for Notts Forest.

He's 23 mate, far too old for us.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote:He's 23 mate, far too old for us.
right, how silly of me to suggest we were ever interested in someone who can shave.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

like and

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jordan Stevens signs from Forest Green rovers
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jordan Hugill - Preston to West Ham in a £9m deal