Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Revenue Lost/New Signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Revenue Lost/New Signings

Post by 1964white »

Good morning everyone

By screwing up against Newport County, we have missed out on a home tie v Spurs. That would have been tasty....even more fruitful if we drew the game with the prospect of a replay at Wembley Stadium

How much revenue have we sacrificed because of yet another fiasco?

Leeds have accepted Samuel Saiz's six-game ban for spitting. Club say his behaviour was "unacceptable" and "the player will now be subject to an internal disciplinary hearing"

What should that be?

The Laurens De Bock deal is looking good. Leeds hoping the LB will complete his medical at Thorp Arch later today.

Where does this put Berardi....RB or bench?

Also rumours that we are to make two signings today with Ideguchi arriving at ER on a 4 years deal for £500k & De Boek for £3m. I believe both were given a medical yesterday? Final bit of deal to sort with Club Brugge but personal terms etc agreed. De Boek will probably go straight into the team and make left back his own.

Leeds United have been strongly linked with Peterborough United goal machine Jack Marriott, and the rumour won't go away.
The Mirror reported on Monday that Leeds and Hull lead the chase to land the striker, 23, who scored twice against Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Saturday to take his tally for the season to 23 goals in 36 games.
It is said that it will take a fee of around £3million to prise Marriott from Peterborough, although chairman Darragh MacAnthony subsequently claimed on Twitter that his star player’s valuation is way higher than that.

Decent signing or not ?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Revenue Lost/New Signings

Post by HarryofOz »

No doubt ER would have been a sell-out v Spurs. I suspect that we would have lost though.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Berardi if we do sign a left back - I know what many on MOT would want :), but I wander if Christianson thinks the same. Of there is also the question of whether TC plans to use De Boek in the starting line-up or not, though you'd imagine so given that we are seemingly going to offer a long term deal to him.

I don't know enough about Marriott - plenty of goals this season, but this is the first season he has banged in the goals - he is however only 23. Will he be ahead of Lassoga, Grot and Ekuban in terms of selection? Can't see him replacing Roofe at this stage of the season.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have to say I'm not entirely sure how the draw works. Are we 100% sure we'd have got the same number in the draw Newport did?

Beradi moves to the bench, assuming new LB is going straight into the first team

I'd probaby pay more if he's as good as he looks
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: I don't know enough about Marriott - plenty of goals this season, but this is the first season he has banged in the goals - he is however only 23. Will he be ahead of Lassoga, Grot and Ekuban in terms of selection? Can't see him replacing Roofe at this stage of the season.
Marriott could be another Roofe where he may need time to adapt to the championship

Roofe currently is Leeds best striker ahead of the other three imo !
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:Marriott could be another Roofe where he may need time to adapt to the championship

Roofe currently is Leeds best striker ahead of the other three imo !
Roofe is far ahead of the other three unfortunately for us. That's not a criticism of Roofe, who i think is a fine player, but a concern about the lack of cover for him. Maybe Marriott can close the gap.

I have said that I don't see any point in buying depth players in the January transfer window, but we are lacking a quality goalscorer, so even if he does rank behind Roofe, as long as he ranks ahead of the others, I'll be happy enough.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:I have to say I'm not entirely sure how the draw works. Are we 100% sure we'd have got the same number in the draw Newport did?
Discussing with a client who is Bradford fan this morning about his & our clubs failure to reach the next round

He reckons both Bradford & Leeds would have had the same numbers as the last round when I questioned that the working of the draw may have been different

In his mind Bradford City have missed out on a plum home draw v Man U
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Roofe is far ahead of the other three unfortunately for us. That's not a criticism of Roofe, who i think is a fine player, but a concern about the lack of cover for him. Maybe Marriott can close the gap.

I have said that I don't see any point in buying depth players in the January transfer window, but we are lacking a quality goalscorer, so even if he does rank behind Roofe, as long as he ranks ahead of the others, I'll be happy enough.
Agree Roofe is our best although not ideal, yes if Marriott is of a similar level I'd be happy with his signing, better than nothing !
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Did some research using our friend Mr Google re numbers allocated to teams in the draw.

The team numbers are based on the match they were drawn to play in the previous round. So Leeds would have had the same number as Newport.

The only timeswhere the match number is not used is the first round proper where the football league teams outside the Championship and the Premiership enter for the first time. They get are numbered 1 to 48 alphabetically with no 49 going to the team that won match no.1 in the final qualifying round. Similarly in round 3, with the Premiership and Championship clubs entering for the first time, they get numbers 1 to 44 alphabetically with non 45 going to the team that won match no. 1 in round 2.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Did some research using our friend Mr Google re numbers allocated to teams in the draw.

The team numbers are based on the match they were drawn to play in the previous round. So Leeds would have had the same number as Newport.

The only timeswhere the match number is not used is the first round proper where the football league teams outside the Championship and the Premiership enter for the first time. They get are numbered 1 to 48 alphabetically with no 49 going to the team that won match no.1 in the final qualifying round. Similarly in round 3, with the Premiership and Championship clubs entering for the first time, they get numbers 1 to 44 alphabetically with non 45 going to the team that won match no. 1 in round 2.
Oh dear Leeds United management....what a wasteful bunch you are :mfpa:

A complete shambles !
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

if the revenue was that important I'm sure we would have fielded a full strength side

berardi to the bench I'm guessing as cover for both full back spots - be interesting to see whether anita stays now as he'll be even further behind
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think most of us know Berardi should be moved to the R B position, with Aylings injury looking like it may keep him out for a few weeks then hopefully T C will see it too.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Quite a bit, a game vs Spurs would have been nice, is what it is. The players messed up, TC to i guess, if thos leads to some real quality signings then thats worth more then a glamour tie.

What should that be?
An apology from his mouth not the PR team would be a start. Understand his English may not be the best but that'd make the gesture even better. No wages for the matches he is out (not sure we can do that).

Bench presumably, although Ayling's injury is maybe not as simple as first thought? After all remember Dallas, he had a simple injury and has disappeared.

Decent signing or not ?
I'm pleased about De Bock, good pedigree and heard good things, desperately needed a left back.

Ideguchi deal is baffling and if i think about it to much it makes me angry. We lose Saiz, refuse to play Klich, Vieira is injured (our best midfielder ) and that leaves O'Kane who i still don't see what he does and Phillips who is a steady but average player right now, may improve but isn't anything special at this time . Sign a highly rated young player who is likely to go to the World Cup, why not give him a few games. What benifit does playing him in a crappy division that's in no way similar to this league or the one above serve?.

I agree Roofe is our best option until Ekuban gets back, and find that very depressing as i don't particularly rate Roofe. Take away 1 superb performance and he has 1 goal in 10 starts, we need better. Think Marriott would be a great signing and he is more proven then Roofe when we signed him.
Roofe-40 games 18 goals in League 2 was his best.
Marriott- 26 games 17 goals in league 1.

So its not even close at the same age, he is well worth a punt imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Is that a definite though because would we have had the same ball number that was allocated to Newport? It used to be done alphabetically, I think. As such no guarantee we would have got a great draw - last year's reward for beating Cambridge was a trip to Sutton.

Leeds have accepted Samuel Saiz's six-game ban for spitting. Club say his behaviour was "unacceptable" and "the player will now be subject to an internal disciplinary hearing"

What should that be?

Would imagine a 1 or 2 week fine or possible some community work such as visiting hospitals etc.

Sadly Berardi is more of a full back then a wing back and the formation we have is reliant on over-lapping wingbacks. For all Ayling gets pilloried for being out of position it is probably what he is being asked to do. That said Berardi may be more comfortable going forward on the right. If Ayling isn't fit then I would expect Berardi to play right back and then if he plays well he keeps the shirt.

Jack Marriott - Decent signing or not ?

Hard to know as we have been down the route of getting proven league 1 strikers, Paynter, AJose & Sharp and none of them really did much (arguments can be made for Sharp perhaps). That said players such as Charlie Austin made the step up easily and Vardy made a larger step up so it all boils down to the player really and as I have seen nothing of this player I have no idea.