U23's play Crewe today

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

U23's play Crewe today

Post by 8ballali »

The U23s are away to @crewealexfc today, with kick-off from 1:15pm. Tyler Denton returns to the side, whilst Jack Clarke starts

Updates ➡️ https://t.co/5PsLvHevFV https://t.co/0ht0brnyJc

Looks like we're putting out a strong side for this one.
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: U23's play Crewe today

Post by 1964white »

8ballali wrote:The U23s are away to @crewealexfc today, with kick-off from 1:15pm. Tyler Denton returns to the side, whilst Jack Clarke starts

Updates ➡️ https://t.co/5PsLvHevFV https://t.co/0ht0brnyJc

Looks like we're putting out a strong side for this one.
1-0 down :(
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

1964white wrote:
1-0 down :(
Crewe have always had a very good youth system. It looks like it still is. But we have been getting shots. So there's entry of time to turn it round.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Not sure where our U23s are in their league but we don't seem to win many games.... :(
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote:Not sure where our U23s are in their league but we don't seem to win many games.... :(
We don't :(

But the future is bright apparently :roll:
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

We don't win many, but I think that's because we're in the top division now. We didn't deserve to lose yesterday. Not much in it first half, but we dominated second half. Their keeper did a great job of keeping them in it.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

People are obsessed with winning at every age group on this country have a look at all the parents on the touchline ruining their 6 year old kid's fun. With the youth set-up, even at U23 level, I imagine it is presently part of a huge overhaul especially with the way they play and at this point it is better that they all learn to play a certain way than winning. Develop them into good players and as they grow older they will no longer lose out to the bigger kids who can kick it harder, jump higher, run faster etc - when you get to the point where physical attributes even out (i.e. first team) then it is far more important that they have a better learning of the game, better ball control, better spatial awareness etc etc. How many youth set-ups in this country would have turned Messi away for being too small as they did in the past with the likes of Bremner?

Remember the Leeds FA Youth Cup winning team that beat Man Utd in the early 90s? How many of our lot made it at the top level compared to the amount that made it at the very top with MU? Not saying I don't want them to win but the big picture is not always about the present and the just cos they lost to Crewe doesn't mean that we might not get a few of them come through to play in the first team and be very good players. For all we know the Crewe team may have risen through the age groups together and know each other's games inside and out and have the understanding that comes with that rather than our global team that has been thrown together and has the majority of them playing a country and weather that they aren't used to.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

weasel wrote:People are obsessed with winning at every age group on this country have a look at all the parents on the touchline ruining their 6 year old kid's fun. With the youth set-up, even at U23 level, I imagine it is presently part of a huge overhaul especially with the way they play and at this point it is better that they all learn to play a certain way than winning. Develop them into good players and as they grow older they will no longer lose out to the bigger kids who can kick it harder, jump higher, run faster etc - when you get to the point where physical attributes even out (i.e. first team) then it is far more important that they have a better learning of the game, better ball control, better spatial awareness etc etc. How many youth set-ups in this country would have turned Messi away for being too small as they did in the past with the likes of Bremner?

Remember the Leeds FA Youth Cup winning team that beat Man Utd in the early 90s? How many of our lot made it at the top level compared to the amount that made it at the very top with MU? Not saying I don't want them to win but the big picture is not always about the present and the just cos they lost to Crewe doesn't mean that we might not get a few of them come through to play in the first team and be very good players. For all we know the Crewe team may have risen through the age groups together and know each other's games inside and out and have the understanding that comes with that rather than our global team that has been thrown together and has the majority of them playing a country and weather that they aren't used to.
Excellent Weasel.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote:People are obsessed with winning at every age group on this country have a look at all the parents on the touchline ruining their 6 year old kid's fun. With the youth set-up, even at U23 level, I imagine it is presently part of a huge overhaul especially with the way they play and at this point it is better that they all learn to play a certain way than winning. Develop them into good players and as they grow older they will no longer lose out to the bigger kids who can kick it harder, jump higher, run faster etc - when you get to the point where physical attributes even out (i.e. first team) then it is far more important that they have a better learning of the game, better ball control, better spatial awareness etc etc. How many youth set-ups in this country would have turned Messi away for being too small as they did in the past with the likes of Bremner?

Agreed, great post.

I dont know if Barcelona's youth teams win every week (they probably do tbf) but its not just talent that helps them as they grow.

Its the fact they play the "Barca way" from 7 to the first team, its ingrained in them, becomes natural and that shows.

Frustrating as it is not seeing the u23s winning, if they are learning the style of play that the 1st team strive for, then i am satisfied with that, results are nice but teaching the way we want them to play is more important.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

8ballali wrote:

Excellent Weasel.
Yes he is.