To Strike or Not to Strike

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

To Strike or Not to Strike

Post by Cjay »

Amongst the depression over our form, suspensions and questionable January window there was a ray of German light.

Lasogga shone brightly vs Millwall and LUFC fans were quick to hail the big German.

While he missed 2 good chances he scored 2 far harder chances, one was a superb strike with his weaker foot.

His all round play was superb, he held that ball up, he chased down, he moved but not just for the sake of it like Alioski or Ekuban, he moved to take up intelligent positions.

Now fans are questioning the other end of the pitch, they want a cb, they also want a new winger.

But for balance it was just 1 game, next game he may not do these things, or next game he may and he may continue his very impressive scoring record.

So, do we stick or twist?

Spend our budget on another 1st team striker but perhaps miss out on a winger or a cb, or do we put our faith in Lassie and look at a new cb and/or a winger?

I ask this because i doubt our budget will stretch to all 3 (and truthfully you could argue we need all 3).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: To Strike or Not to Strike

Post by Ratscoot »

Buy a Striker
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ratscoot wrote:Buy a Striker
But whooo
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

An extremely tough decision as PL has certainly shown, albeit in glimpses, how good a striker he can be. He has a powerful and clean shot which gives us a threat from outside the box and certainly makes it harder for defenders to mark against. His second goal v Millwall was unstoppable and showed great technique. His first goal, whilst less spectacular, was a lot harder than it looked with him hitting the ball as it came to him, rather than allowing it to come accross him, and guiding it with power. He took the shot so quickly, and hit it so quickly that the keeper never had a chance - the keeper was likely setting himself for a strike into the other corner of the net.

Now the worry is that can PL play like this in every match and no one, possibly not even PL, can answer that. We have all looked at his body language and the way he moves on the pitch and thought he has looked disinterested but certainly Saturday showed that he does want to play football, does want to play for Leeds and does get on with his team mates. If ever there was a game for someone who wasn't interested to not try it was in the second half v Millwall. Have we jumped to conclusions about him, is the way he moves just the way he plays? Viduka is perhaps a good example of what PL may actually be like. Viduka often looked disinterested and half hearted but you knew that over the course of the season he would be banging in 20+ goals and on his day he was unbelievably good.

A lot for me depends also on how close Ekuban is to returning as we are definitely a bit light on numbers and could have done with him on the bench v Millwall.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Didn't someone say they thought PL was carrying an injury when he went off or was it generally perceived as fatigue?
That alone could make a difference.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:Didn't someone say they thought PL was carrying an injury when he went off or was it generally perceived as fatigue?
That alone could make a difference.
Yes Norm he hobbled off the pitch last Saturday

If that's the case we'll need another striker
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd go centre back, I've not changed my mind there. Good strikers cost double in the Jan transfer window...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Cjay wrote:But whooo
You can’t ask that it’s far too difficult to answer :roflmao: :roflmao:

But I did say at the start of the year Gary Madine and I’ll stick with that
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:
I'd go centre back, I've not changed my mind there. Good strikers cost double in the Jan transfer window...
It's a conundrum - keep the goals against us out or bang them in at the other end - good in theory if you get who you want, whichever you go for.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ratscoot wrote:You can’t ask that it’s far too difficult to answer :roflmao: :roflmao:

But I did say at the start of the year Gary Madine and I’ll stick with that
Bolton want £6m for him.

So he is a no go :oops:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think ideally I'd want a centre back.

While Roofe and Ekuban have shown they can cover for Lassie we dont have an outstanding cb besides Pontus.

Ideally sign a winger/number 10 to.

That will help us going forward and strengthen our weak bench.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Bolton want £6m for him.

So he is a no go :oops:
£6m :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:£6m :shock:

Which is cheap, if you want a striker that makes a difference we either go European untested for around 3M or Championship proven for 12 mill plus. Madine would be cheap at 6 if he's the player he was against us
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:£6m :shock:
Makes you see how crazy the market in this country is.

Madine has a 1 in 8 Championship record.

An average old fashioned centre forward nothing more.

Then again Hugil for 12m isnt much better.
Signed

King Cjay