Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Paul Heckingbottom

Post by woodfordwhites »

Heckingbottom expected at Elland Road tonight. Wanted the job and Leeds activated the recall clause earlier today Should be announced in time for him to take training at Thorp Arch tomorrow morning
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: New coach

Post by HarryofOz »

Oh well, not the most inspiring of choices.

But like everyone else will give him a go...however if in his opening press conference he uses any of the following phrases (or similar ones), then I want him gone.

'Always been my dream'

'Fans deserve better'

'Sleeping giant'

:twisted:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Dam thought we were getting a new 18 seater
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm Dam thought we were getting a new 18 seater
:rol: :rol:
1964white

Re: New coach - Paul Heckingbottom

Post by 1964white »

It's easy to see why the Tykes have struggled with the loss of so many of their best players moved on over the last two seasons, all regulars I believe

Alfie Mawson (Swansea)
Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa)
Marley Watkins (Norwich)
Ryan Kent (Liverpool on loan at Bristol C)
Sam Winnall (Sheff Wed on loan at Derby)
Marc Roberts (Birmingham)
James Bree (Aston Villa)
Angus MacDonald (Hull City)
Josh Scowen (QPR)
Adam Armstrong (Bolton)

Mawson is one of the best young CB's in the Premiership (goalscoring CB too)

Hourihane scored a cracker against us at Oakwell under Monk's reign

Kent was linked with a move to Leeds not so long ago
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I do believe we have moved in quickly for Heckingbottom because of the glut of difficult games coming up & our board didn't want to hang around scouring Europe with all the time-consuming issues closing a deal. PH can immediately get on with the job in hand first thing tomorrow morning.
Also no complications like moving house/family, etc
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I demand a redesign... are you with me???
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Heckingbottom wouldn't have been my first choice but I think this is a good appointment.

He has done an outstanding job at Barnsley, the job he has done at there is very similar to what Grayson achieved under Bates. After they beat us 3-2 in Jan 2017 they were 4 points off the play offs and one of the in-form sides in the league all the signs were there that they could push for the top 6 then they lost Hourihane, Bree and Winnall all in the same week. They made just under £7 million from them sales and all he had to spend in terms of a replacement was £500,000 on Alex Mowatt. In the end they finished 14th (which for Barnsley is a very good achievement in the circumstances) they without doubt would have been pushing for the play offs last season had they been able to keep those 3 or at least been given the funds to find suitable replacements. Over the last two years he has also lost Alfie Mawson, Marley Watkins, Marc Roberts, Josh Scowen and Angus McDonald. The total value of all the player sales was around £15 million would have been loads higher than that as well if the Barnsley board didn't allow the contracts of the majority of those players to either run down or expire. He has been given virtually nothing budget wise to replace those 8 key players so I personally think he has done well to keep them above the relegation zone this time around. Also don't forget how good a job he did to get them in the championship in the first place they were 10th in league one when he took over in Feb 2016.

I have been really impressed with Barnsley's style of football under Heckingbottom as well, they dominated both games against us last season and when Hourihane, Winnall and Watkins were there they often earned praise about being one of the best footballing sides in the league. They always played to win games no sitting back and settling for points against the better sides look at some of the results Heckingbottom has achieved over the last 18 months 4-0 at Wolves, 3-0 at Birmingham (under Rowett), 3-1 at Villa, 2-0 vs Derby, 4-3 at Cardiff could you imagine us ever over the last 6-7 years going to a promotion rival away from home and seriously trying to take the game to them and scoring 3 or 4 goals in the process. Clear to see why they were one of the highest scoring teams in the league last season despite losing their two main goal threats in January. I'm certainly not expecting hoof ball and negative football under Heckingbottom. Although even this season he has picked up some good points against the better sides and you would have to think with the likes of Saiz and Hernandez at his disposal the potential is there for us to start scoring goals again. I think we will actually try and pass the ball, run at players, play at a fast tempo and will build a system to allow us to make the most of Saiz and Hernandez's individual creativity.

Another key thing is Heckingbottom's know how in terms of player development, he has improved so many players at Barnsley those 8 that I mentioned earlier for starters. You look at our squad at the minute and the likes of Vieira, Phillips, Ekuban, Roberts and Shaughnessy etc could all improve and become top championship players under Heckingbottom plus I reckon the likes of Alioski and Forshaw will add more goals to their game under Heckingbottom's more attacking system. No way Heckingbottom would have put up with Alioski or Roofe's performances on Saturday. Heckingbottom in charge rather than Christiansen might make our under 23 system work better as well as he seems a lot more willing to give players a chance judging by his time at Barnsley.

1 win in his last 16 games is a worry but there are most definitely signs that Heckingbottom could be a massive success here and I am optimistic about this tbh. Got to give him time though because wow he is inheriting a difficult situation loads of players out and a tough run of games, play offs are unrealistic for me just want to see us trying to implement a better more sustainable style of football for next season and a respectable run of results over the next 16 games, then we can allow Heckingbottom to go into pre season prepared and fully aware of who he needs so that next season is the season.

I think on Saturday a lot of fans will be pleasantly surprised when we go to Sheffield United and actually try to pass the ball and give our creative players some attacking freedom.

I have a lot of confidence in Heckingbottom tbh. This could be the best decision Radrizzani has made so far.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What a cracking post, well I feel happier
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:02 pmNo way Heckingbottom would have put up with Alioski or Roofe's performances on Saturday
Said the same thing to a couple of mates tonight Oscar, those two are gonna have to pull their socks up now as he's not one for carrying passengers I doubt.

Team selection should be interesting once he's settled in & got the best part of his squad back on board

Some great points there Oscar especially about his team being stripped of all their best assets when they were going well, the tykes hammered Leeds at Oakwell last season
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Thank you Oscar :love:

Feel much happier now, had read nothing but negativity all day and added that to my own mehness.

Wasn't anyones 1st choice, probably not top 10 choices.

But your post cheered me up no end :)

After all this he could turn us down :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

From the Hock to what the Heck...full circle.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I hope you are right Oscar and you have probably seem more of Barnsley than myself and others.

However in your paragraph -

1 win in his last 16 games is a worry but there are most definitely signs that Heckingbottom could be a massive success here and I am optimistic about this tbh. Got to give him time though because wow he is inheriting a difficult situation loads of players out and a tough run of games, play offs are unrealistic for me just want to see us trying to implement a better more sustainable style of football for next season and a respectable run of results over the next 16 games, then we can allow Heckingbottom to go into pre season prepared and fully aware of who he needs so that next season is the season.

I would say 1 win in his last 16 games is more than just a worry - that is abysmal and would have me seriously questioning whether he can motivate his players regardless of excuses. You seem to already be preparing excuses for him which also isn't a good sign.

My main concern over this appointment is that it is so at odds with the previous appointment which makes it look like the board haven't got a clue what they are doing. Hopefully PH will prove all us doubters wrong and prove to be a masterstroke by the board well it could happen......... :roll:
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

weasel wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 am I hope you are right Oscar and you have probably seem more of Barnsley than myself and others.

However in your paragraph -

I would say 1 win in his last 16 games is more than just a worry - that is abysmal and would have me seriously questioning whether he can motivate his players regardless of excuses. You seem to already be preparing excuses for him which also isn't a good sign.

My main concern over this appointment is that it is so at odds with the previous appointment which makes it look like the board haven't got a clue what they are doing. Hopefully PH will prove all us doubters wrong and prove to be a masterstroke by the board well it could happen......... :roll:
I probably should have explained what I meant a bit better tbf mate, I just feel that he is inheriting a really bad current situation it couldn't be much worse really mainly because of all of the injuries/suspensions on Saturday and for the next few games we might have to go with a back 4 of:
Anita, Pennington, Bouy and DeBock. With games against some of the best sides in the league coming up not to mention the other injuries/suspensions in different areas of the pitch, I just think the "new manager bounce" might not happen until Jansson, Saiz and Berardi are back in the side.
That's not me making excuses for PH mate at the very least I want to see an improvement in performances, I just think we have to accept that results wise we might struggle at first until we get our main players back. In terms of the play offs I just don't think it is fair to expect PH to close down the 7 point gap with 16 games to go without his best players for a potentially large chunk of those 16 games, although it would be encouraging if he can narrow the gap between us and the top 6 by the time the season finishes.

This was probably planned weeks ago by the board (judging by the speed of the appointment/compensation being agreed. This is very different to the TC appointment but then again it would have been worse imo if we had just tried to bring in another coach similar to Christiansen. We seem to be going more down the build for next season route.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 pm Thank you Oscar :love:

Feel much happier now
, had read nothing but negativity all day and added that to my own mehness.

Wasn't anyones 1st choice, probably not top 10 choices.

But your post cheered me up no end :)

After all this he could turn us down :lol:
No problem mate :)
Last edited by Oscar on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Oscar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 am No problem mate :)
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Oscar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 am
Well, Barcelona won the Liga that season. But yeah, measured by our standards average I guess. :)
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

faaip wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 pm What a cracking post, well I feel happier
Cheers mate :-D
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 pm Said the same thing to a couple of mates tonight Oscar, those two are gonna have to pull their socks up now as he's not one for carrying passengers I doubt.

Team selection should be interesting once he's settled in & got the best part of his squad back on board

Some great points there Oscar especially about his team being stripped of all their best assets when they were going well, the tykes hammered Leeds at Oakwell last season

Thanks Leon :-D

I think Heckingbottam's management style will be very different to Christiansen's in so many ways Leon :tup:

Team selection will be interesting as formation wise he does seem flexible I would imagine it will mainly be a 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1. The question is how does he get Saiz and Hernandez in the same side? wouldn't be surprised if we go with a 4-1-4-1 and end up with Vieira/Forshaw playing the holding role with Hernandez and Saiz playing centrally just ahead of Vieira/Forshaw and then have Alioski and Dallas on the wing, Heckingbottam is a very attack minded manager. I can't see him settling on one formation like Christiansen and Monk did.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This post from taken another forum says it all about Christiansen & Heckingbottom

First of all TC was utter sh*te and here are many of the reasons:

Played 4-5-1 with Alioski and Roofe wingers week in week out, both sh*t week in week out. One ain't a winger the other just falls over, Dallas still can't get a game.

Only changed the line up when someone got injured, regardless of how poor their form was. Vieira only got his first game when someone got injured. Might not have seen Vieira yet this season otherwise.

Neither Lasogga or Roofe can play as a lone striker (one needs balls to feet from a strike partner, one too lightweight) but would probably be good together in a 3-5-2 or 4-3-1-2, never tries it.

Anita (regular in a team that won the championship last season) Dallas and Klich never ever played. People saying our squad is rubbish when they haven't even seen half of them play and neither did TC.

Mental late substitutions that cost us, the worst being when we were 3-2 up v millwall and cruising, ball nowhere near our box until TC took off attacking options and then it was non-stop millwall attacking, lost 4-3.

Had two huge bad runs bridged with a couple of lucky wins (Norwich and Hull 1-0 come to mind) yet people still surprised he's gone when many chairman would've sacked him after the first 8 losses in 10.

Now for Heckingbottom

Won Promotion from League One with Barnsley

Next season ended 2016 in 9th http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38424314 playing some great football until their Chairman sold all their best players in January and the freefall started, still got them a very respectable 14th considering how s**t their team was.

Freefall continues and this season their team is even worse, the Chairman selling even more players and quality wise are probably bottom 3 on paper. PH keeping them adrift of relegation.

Looking up a managers win ratio for 2 minutes on Wikipedia doesn't really mean much, it's all about context. Nigel Clough is working wonders at Burton for example and his win ratio is probably worse than Heckingbottoms. If Hockaday went to man city, his win ratio would probably be better than Don Revie's at Leeds. Would that make him a better manager?.

In conclusion, Heckingbottom even before he had all his players sold, got his team to 9th and his team were much shitter than ours on paper. Let's give him a chance before we deem him sh*t cos we looked up his win ratio on wiki for 30 seconds. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence would realise there's much more to it than that.