Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Stick or Twist

Post by Clive »

MightyWhites wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 pm As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd". The coaches are not the problem here, the problem is the person bringing these players in. They are not good enough, it is as simple as that. Pep would not get this team promoted. Radz needs to change his business model, and if he cannot afford to do that then sell up. Leeds fans are impatient because we have been out of the top flight for too long, which is not Radz's fault, but if he can't deliver then it's best for both parties for him to leave sooner rather than later. To be honest his recent outbursts have not filled me with optimism.
It's funny you should use the phrase 'you can't polish a turd' because that's exactly what I heard Adam Pope say on the radio. And people say they're not influenced by him. And if I were the players, by the way, I'd never give that arsehole another interview after saying that.

If the coaches are not the problem, if it doesn't matter who the coach is, then why bother having one? It would save a lot of money. The players could have a secret ballot to decide who plays. Of course the problem with that would be the team and the bench would change every week and no one would know where they stood...oh hang on!

If you don't like the business model then that's fair comment, but it's one that has worked for other clubs, and let's stop making out that Orta is clueless because he's brought some top talent here relatively cheaply. It's been hit and miss, but it's the same with signings managers make. Noel Hunt and Paul Rachubka were both well known to their managers and they were two of the worst signings in our history.

If Radz thinks it was a good idea to sack a manager and appoint a worse one with a terrible track record then it's probably best he does go.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

MightyWhites wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 pm As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd". The coaches are not the problem here, the problem is the person bringing these players in. They are not good enough, it is as simple as that. Pep would not get this team promoted. Radz needs to change his business model, and if he cannot afford to do that then sell up. Leeds fans are impatient because we have been out of the top flight for too long, which is not Radz's fault, but if he can't deliver then it's best for both parties for him to leave sooner rather than later. To be honest his recent outbursts have not filled me with optimism.
Spot on MW

PH can only work with the tools he has in his toolbox, Far too many average footballers who are prone to crucial errors week in week out. Today's turn was Ekuban, Dallas & Pennington
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Bally wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 pm Keep changing the manager you get nowhere give Hecky the summer and see where Leeds are at Christmas then judge him ATM he's still learning about the squad
What's he gonna do in the summer? Bring in the players he knows from Barnsley who are in a relegation battle?

What would be acceptable to you at Christmas?
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm Spot on MW

PH can only work with the tools he has in his toolbox, Far too many average footballers who are prone to crucial errors week in week out. Today's turn was Ekuban, Dallas & Pennington
You're another who sounds influenced by Radio Leeds, I've seen you talk up Whelan.

Ekuban didn't pick himself. Lasogga was sat on the bench and he's been scoring goals.

Dallas is a Heckingbottom favourite and you've praised him for picking him.

If you're low on morale you're more likely to make errors, poor morale usually comes from poor management.

The problem with Heckingbottom is he's like a guy who's turned up with a toolbox to fix a fuse, it's absurd that he's Leeds United manager.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:06 pm Whilst we can all agree the squad isn't great the trouble is that you still need a manager that is capable of getting the most out of it and if PH fans use the poor squad excuse then it doesn't hold up as the previous coach got more out of them, albeit not all the time. So far we haven't had one performance from a PH side that could make us feel really positive.
It's like the worse he gets the more people defend him, that's been the case with other manager's, too. It's bizarre. Why are our fans so afraid to ask for a proper manager?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am You're another who sounds influenced by Radio Leeds, I've seen you talk up Whelan.
I doubt it, I rarely listen to Radio Leeds as I'm generally at the games as I was today

Haven't got a clue what Whelan said :duno:
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Clive wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am What's he gonna do in the summer? Bring in the players he knows from Barnsley who are in a relegation battle?

What would be acceptable to you at Christmas?
I'm sure he knows more than just Barnsley players for some reason you've been against the manager from the start and doesn't sound like any things going to change your mind on that.
You keep harping on about the manager and having a proven manager Leeds had one in Warnock but that didn't work out all managers build a good reputation from somewhere whose to say given TIME that Hecky won't turn out to be a decent manager but if it were down to you hed be gone by now and Leeds would be on to manager number three for this season which is ridiculous
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Bally wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 am I'm sure he knows more than just Barnsley players for some reason you've been against the manager from the start and doesn't sound like any things going to change your mind on that.
You keep harping on about the manager and having a proven manager Leeds had one in Warnock but that didn't work out all managers build a good reputation from somewhere whose to say given TIME that Hecky won't turn out to be a decent manager but if it were down to you hed be gone by now and Leeds would be on to manager number three for this season which is ridiculous
You're saying give Heckingbottom time, yet you're saying Warnock didn't work out when he never had a full season in charge.

It it were down to me he wouldn't be here.

14 years down and you think we should be some sort of testing ground for young managers who haven't shown much promise elsewhere?
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

Clive wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 pm It's funny you should use the phrase 'you can't polish a turd' because that's exactly what I heard Adam Pope say on the radio. And people say they're not influenced by him. And if I were the players, by the way, I'd never give that arsehole another interview after saying that.

If the coaches are not the problem, if it doesn't matter who the coach is, then why bother having one? It would save a lot of money. The players could have a secret ballot to decide who plays. Of course the problem with that would be the team and the bench would change every week and no one would know where they stood...oh hang on!

If you don't like the business model then that's fair comment, but it's one that has worked for other clubs, and let's stop making out that Orta is clueless because he's brought some top talent here relatively cheaply. It's been hit and miss, but it's the same with signings managers make. Noel Hunt and Paul Rachubka were both well known to their managers and they were two of the worst signings in our history.

If Radz thinks it was a good idea to sack a manager and appoint a worse one with a terrible track record then it's probably best he does go.
Don't listen to Adam Pope. I'd like to know what top talent Orta has brought in apart from Saiz, so please enlighten me? Hunt and Rachubka were brought in by McDermott, and we know how his career has panned out since don't we! PH has to be given a chance, and get his own players in. In my opinion Orta has to go and PH has to be able to bring his own players in. If he's s**t after that then we can call for his head.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

I'm saying you had Warnock as manager but that didn't work out as yet again he wasn't given enough time .
Now youhve got a young manager and he won't be given time either if it were down to you,out of interest Clive who would you like as manager? Whoever it is if i were them i wouldn't come to Leeds as its fans like you who would put me off comimg
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

MightyWhites wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:36 am Don't listen to Adam Pope. I'd like to know what top talent Orta has brought in apart from Saiz, so please enlighten me? Hunt and Rachubka were brought in by McDermott, and we know how his career has panned out since don't we! PH has to be given a chance, and get his own players in. In my opinion Orta has to go and PH has to be able to bring his own players in. If he's s**t after that then we can call for his head.
Spot on apart from Saiz there aren't any decent players amongst them let's hope that isn't the case with all the youth players they've brought in
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

MightyWhites wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:36 am Don't listen to Adam Pope. I'd like to know what top talent Orta has brought in apart from Saiz, so please enlighten me? Hunt and Rachubka were brought in by McDermott, and we know how his career has panned out since don't we! PH has to be given a chance, and get his own players in. In my opinion Orta has to go and PH has to be able to bring his own players in. If he's s**t after that then we can call for his head.
Good, you shouldn't listen to Pope.

There's no point in enlightening you because you've made your mind up that it's just Saiz.

Grayson brought in Rachubka, everyone said the same stuff about McDermott. I was even banned from ja606 for saying it might be a good thing if he left us for Ireland.

Why does Heckingbottom have to be given a chance? What do we owe him? He said he hated Leeds as a kid. Why give someone with a s**t record at Barnsley the chance to be s**t here?

Why shouldn't Orta be given more of a chance? He's only been here from the start of the season.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Bally wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am I'm saying you had Warnock as manager but that didn't work out as yet again he wasn't given enough time .
Now youhve got a young manager and he won't be given time either if it were down to you,out of interest Clive who would you like as manager? Whoever it is if i were them i wouldn't come to Leeds as its fans like you who would put me off comimg
Well that wasn't down to me. I keep getting attacked for defending Warnock and saying he should have been given time.

Would would a manager be put off be a fan who wanted them to come? It makes no sense.

I'd go for Alex Neil, but if he gets Preston up then we've no chance.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bally wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am I'm saying you had Warnock as manager but that didn't work out as yet again he wasn't given enough time .
If you go to buy a second hand car then you check the oil, watch for blue smoke out the exhaust
switch the lights on and off, feel if the brakes are spongey, check the tread on the tyres, listen to
the engine as it run, see if the clutch is slipping.

If WhatTheHeck was a car I would walk away. He does not pass any of the tests for being a suitable manager.
He is a dud, a clapped out banger... we should consign him to the scrapheap before embarrasses us further.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Clive wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 am Well that wasn't down to me. I keep getting attacked for defending Warnock and saying he should have been given time.

Would would a manager be put off be a fan who wanted them to come? It makes no sense.

IMO its not fair to judge ANY manager during the Bates era - every single one was hampered and impeded in doing any sort of a decent job , the fact Bates was there doing his s**t meant no Leeds manager during that time could do a single thing , bar perhaps keep the club up or in the case of L1 , get them promoted . Bates was the most massive hindrance to this club EVER ...though I'm coming to the conclusion O'FuckingKane isn't far behind .
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 am If you go to buy a second hand car then you check the oil, watch for blue smoke out the exhaust
switch the lights on and off, feel if the brakes are spongey, check the tread on the tyres, listen to
the engine as it run, see if the clutch is slipping.

If WhatTheHeck was a car I would walk away. He does not pass any of the tests for being a suitable manager.
He is a dud, a clapped out banger... we should consign him to the scrapheap before embarrasses us further.
I put on another site - we want a Ferarri performance out of a Reliant Robin , that's the level of Heckingfuckingbottom - Reliant Robin .End of the day you get what you pay for , there's a reason he was where he was and where that club was , if he was any good at that stage another decent club would already have snapped him up - pay for cheap and cheerful , you get what you pay for . Not so cheerful though is it ?
If he is here start of next season , that's another season to write off in reality .
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Clive wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 am Well that wasn't down to me. I keep getting attacked for defending Warnock and saying he should have been given time.

IMO its time for Strachan .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm Spot on MW

The trouble is it is the manager that picks them and albeit Pennington was probably the only choice at centreback it was PH's decision to select Ekuban rather than Lasogga and for all Lasogga isn't the most mobile you would have backed him to bury at least 1 of the chances Ekuban missed (and neither relied on pace to get into those positions). Dallas may also have been the best out of limited options but don't forget he was first choice under PH when there were other options available recently.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Whilst Warnock failed at Leeds he had got a track record that suggested he could get teams promoted from the championship. Same as with Pep Guardiola at City who had a track record so City gave him longer than if he was just some guy from Barnsley with no real success at this level. The trouble with saying give PH time is that we don't know if he has the capability to do any better than he is doing now, at Barnsley after the initial success period he didn't appear able to get them out of a slump that lasted over a year.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by Richard »

I totally agree with a lot of the posts, PH is not good enough, he is out of his depth but more so the Orta signings are not good enough. I don’t care who the coach is, this lot signed by Orta are a shambles with one or two exceptions. PH has to be shown the door along with Orta then we need to go all out for a decent replacement with knowledge of this division and give them control of the budget.