Why is Heckingbottom here?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: Why is Heckingbottom here?

Post by NorfolkWhite »

I think the big difference with Wood last year to previous seasons is that he was fit and lost weight, he was a yard quicker last season. Him and Lassie are pretty similar players and if we can get Lassie fit as well we could have another 25 a season man, but at the moment he's undoubtedly carrying a bit of timber.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm He already has 83 games and 34 goals in a top league, hows Wood getting on?
213 games 113 goals-Chris Wood
Take out his 1 fantastic season then its 173 games 86 goals.
121 games-57 goals Pierre Lasogga

Thats there career league stats, difference being the majority of Lassies were in a top league.

Just no basis to consider Wood better then Lasogga.
Chris Wood has had half a season in the premiership.... you can hardly judge him on that playing for Burnley, a team typically that doesn't set up to score many goals. The premiership is also a tougher league than Bundesliga.

If you wanna get all into stats, lasogga has 34 in 128 in the Bundesliga (not sure where your 83 comes from). Take out the season he scored 13 in 20, and you're at 21 in 108. 1 in 5....

Wherever he's been Chris Wood has scored goals (not sure why you're so keen to suddenly think he's crap - even in his first season with us he got 13 goals in 37 playing under Rosler and Evans) and he did so much more for the team than just score goals which you can't measure in stats.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm I think the big difference with Wood last year to previous seasons is that he was fit and lost weight, he was a yard quicker last season. Him and Lassie are pretty similar players and if we can get Lassie fit as well we could have another 25 a season man, but at the moment he's undoubtedly carrying a bit of timber.
And James Beattie (coaching again)
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

My point wasn't that Lasogga has done well but in analysing Wood's season last year and comparing it to Lasogga's the glaring difference is the amount of minutes played. Yes their records of goals per minutes may be similar but Wood was nearly ever present which is the key difference as he was then able to continually score goals and as such the team kept winning matches.

It was the combination of Green and Bartley helping us keep clean sheets and Wood nicking goals (as well as occasionally Bartley) that was the big difference between this season and last and Lasogga can't score if he is out injured etc.

I have often made the point that take Wood's goals away from last season's team and they would have been midtable.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Why is Heckingbottom here? It's not that mad of a question....i don't really know....panic ??

In my heart of hearts I would have given Christensen the full season to see what he could have done...this appointing and sacking after less than a season is ridiculous.
Our last 2 matches have been very lucky draws....I am not full of confidence....hope I am proved wrong.
Last edited by Ronan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm Chris Wood has had half a season in the premiership.... you can hardly judge him on that playing for Burnley, a team typically that doesn't set up to score many goals. The premiership is also a tougher league than Bundesliga.

If you wanna get all into stats, lasogga has 34 in 128 in the Bundesliga (not sure where your 83 comes from). Take out the season he scored 13 in 20, and you're at 21 in 108. 1 in 5....

Wherever he's been Chris Wood has scored goals (not sure why you're so keen to suddenly think he's crap - even in his first season with us he got 13 goals in 37 playing under Rosler and Evans) and he did so much more for the team than just score goals which you can't measure in stats.
True he hasnt had long and Burnley arent a powerhouse, but nor were the clubs Lasogga was at in Germany.

Premier league may be tougher then the Bundesliga but the Championship isnt.

I always take minutes played into account, otherwise someones stats can be horribly disproportionate. 100 sub appearances of 5 minutes each and 5 goals. Looks awful but its actually very good.

Not crap no, just nowhere near "twice the player of Lasogga".

He did well for us Chris Wood, but so has Lasogga in a poorer side then last season and without being the main focal point, others chipping in.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:19 pm And James Beattie (coaching again)
I was going to mention Beattie as well who seemed to be generally credited with a big contribution to Wood's upturn. Well coached fit players get results shocker :duno:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am For crying out loud....give the bloke a friggin' chance!!!!!
My sentiments too Swan

Blunts - beaten in the last ten minutes down to a dodgy pen

Bristol City - fine comeback, nearly won it the very last minute

Derby - Rams equaliser in the 92nd minutes, should have won it if we had killed the game off by keeping possession on a few occasions

Under TC I doubt we'd have got anything from these three games

Heck needs time sort out the mess & the players attitudes/minds
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm ^^^chris wood is the twice the player lasogga is ever going to be. We built a team around Chris Wood last season, we couldn't do the same with lasogga. Let's see at the end of the season if there are any top league teams that want to take lasogga. One just splashed 15 million on Wood.
Wood had an average first season at Leeds

Maybe Lossoga needed to settle, remember he had no pre-season, lost his form & then picked up a bad injury. Pierre still doesn't look 100% fit but he has still mustered 10 goals in 16 starts which is pretty impessive imo !

Pierre-Michel Lassoga even got his own song sang at Derby last night :whistle:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 pm My sentiments too Swan

Blunts - beaten in the last ten minutes down to a dodgy pen

Bristol City - fine comeback, nearly won it the very last minute

Derby - Rams equaliser in the 92nd minutes, should have won it if we had killed the game off by keeping possession on a few occasions

Under TC I doubt we'd have got anything from these three games

Heck needs time sort out the mess & the players attitudes/minds
In the 3 reverse fixtures under TC we got 3 points so 1 point more. We were also subject to poor officiating v Derby which was a big factor. Again willing to support PH but still not seeing an improvement despite what we are being told.