64's Bowls

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

64's Bowls

Post by 1964white »

Can Dalesmen do it with three matches to play ?

Two tricky matches this week with a very winnable final game to come the following week

Screenshot 2018-03-04 at 13.46.36.png
gessa

Re: Can Dalesmen do it ?

Post by gessa »

Tight at the top. Good luck fellas
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:03 pm Tight at the top. Good luck fellas
Thanks, it certainly is mate. We win our last three matches & we win the title, won't be easy though!

Just had text from John (On The Hoof) that our match v Quickfire on Tuesday has been cancelled :( so the game v Kendale on Friday is our only match this week
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here we go again

Fingers for a victory this afternoon to keep our title hopes alive
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm Here we go again

Good luck 64 :scar1
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm Here we go again

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Re: Can Dalesmen do it ? fingers crossed this afternoon

Post by 1964white »

Thanks folks

A comfortable victory 20-12 :-D

Two wins in our last two matches required
1964white

Post by 1964white »

That win on Friday takes us back to the top :-D
Screenshot 2018-03-11 at 12.26.15.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Massive bowls match for my team Dalesmen this afternoon in a game where a win or a draw would clinch the title. Worry is we are playing our bogey team Quickfire led by my good friend, some of you know him as Hoof who use to be involved on our Horse Racing thread.

Hoof & I also have an Evening League match tonight with that title already in the bag. We also have a Pairs Final to play next week

Sadly I lost my champion status to Hoof's son in a ding-dong semi-final battle 21-17 last Monday evening :(

I'm desperate to regain today's Triples League decider as it is very strong league which features some of the best players in our local area

All the same I've had a good season no matter what happens :-D

Screenshot 2018-03-28 at 12.32.14.png
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Get your thermals on - that wind is bitter.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:50 am Get your thermals on - that wind is bitter.
Indoor bowls with heating on :-D
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:01 pm Indoor bowls with heating on :-D
Ya big softie :)...... but seriously, good luck for today 64
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Can Dalesmen do it ? fingers crossed again this afternoon

Post by whiteswan »

So......what happened?
1964white

Re: Can Dalesmen do it ? fingers crossed again this afternoon

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 am So......what happened?
Sorry Swan I was shattered when I returned home at 9.30pm

Three hours on the road then five hours of bowls took it's toll out of this little old soppy man :mfpa:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm Ya big softie :)...... but seriously, good luck for today 64
Thanks Swan

Unfortunately we blew it !

Very disappointed with my players who allowed our bogey team to dominated us from the off & we were quickly 12-3 down in the first few ends. I changed tactics which fooled the opposition as they struggled to dominate short ends, we got back to 17-18. We then went back into our initial bad play in the penultimate end with our first six bowls nowhere near the jack leaving me to opt for damage limitation facing my opposite skip Hoof, I managed to cut the fiasco end down to a loss of four going into the final end, by that time I'd resigned myself we were never gonna achieve a draw let alone a victory. The last end was another calamity with me four down with my three bowls to play, once again by almost resorting to playing bowls like tenpin bowling I fired the opposition woods out with us winning the final end by one - lost 19-22

So disappointed as I know my players can do so much better

That's two consecutive seasons we have chucked the title away in our our final game against the same opposition, a team that had lost their last three matches & ended up halfway down the league :(

Good news is Hoof & I won our Evening league match comfortably, a game that didn't really matter as we'd already won the league

So Hoof & I have a Pairs Final to come, a match I expect to win

Unfortunately the one trophy that eluded our Dalesmen team is the one I desperately wanted, I'd sacrifice my other trophies for that one

A very good season all the same :-D
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Unlucky Leon, always harder when you come so close.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 am Unlucky Leon, always harder when you come so close.
Thanks Weasel

It's the manner of how we lost yesterday that was hard for me to take. We all shook hands at the end as you do but when one of my team said" it is only a game" I restrained myself from blowing a fuse, just walked away before I said something I may have regretted.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Aw, such a shame 64. It seemed so close in the end. Do you think that playing a 'bogey' team has a negative affect on players? I mean, is it possible that your team mates perhaps felt beaten before the game actually started?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am Thanks Weasel

It's the manner of how we lost yesterday that was hard for me to take. We all shook hands at the end as you do but when one of my team said" it is only a game" I restrained myself from blowing a fuse, just walked away before I said something I may have regretted.
Yeah always some people on a team that just don't seem to care as much as yourself. Had it all the time as a Sunday League manager dedicating all my time to running things and then you get some players who just don't care.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:27 pm Aw, such a shame 64. It seemed so close in the end. Do you think that playing a 'bogey' team has a negative affect on players? I mean, is it possible that your team mates perhaps felt beaten before the game actually started?
Unsure the bogey team effect comes into it Swan, but you maybe right !

I coached two of the opposition plus one of my team a few years ago. JG my No.2 has come on a ton, our No.1 is the weaker one of the team. Both have their good days but they have some stinkers too, just very inconsistent I suppose. JG & D play together in our Evening Pairs League & openly admit they only enter that competition so they can head off to the local pub after their games, they rarely win a game so they are very reliant on myself in what is a very competitive Triples League.
I suppose we've done well to finish runners-up for the last three years playing against some top players around our local area

The opposition two I coached are very similar, funny enough the weak starter of the two has become the better player. What I did notice yesterday is P&J wanted it more than my two, you can't teach a winning mentality, that facet of any sports player is in the character of an individual