News Latest - Facebook/NHS/Red Arrows & Child Tragedies

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

News Latest - Facebook/NHS/Red Arrows & Child Tragedies

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2018-03-16 at 06.33.07.png

Fifa is in a state of panic over growing international calls for a World Cup boycott

Publicly, world football's governing body has remained silent, but high-ranking officials are privately acknowledging that "the poisoning of Sergei Skripal has been the straw that broke the camel's back. Tensions have reached breaking point." Certainly, the opening game between Russia and Saudi Arabia, both countries under fierce scrutiny from the rest, could well be the scene of a diplomatic cold shoulder. The British, who have confirmed that no dignitaries will be in Russia, have begun conversations with their western allies with a view to leaving Vladimir Putin sitting in an empty Luzhniki Stadium royal box at the opening ceremony on 14 June. The United States supports such a measure.

"How can we go to Putin's World Cup now?"

The UK government has concluded that it is "highly likely" that Russia is responsible for the nerve-agent attack on former spy Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, in Salisbury, in southern England. Its prime minister, Theresa May, has stated: "Either this was a direct act by the Russian state against our country, or the Russian government lost control of this potentially catastrophically damaging nerve agent and allowed it to get into the hands of others." Either way, Russia is behind it. "How can we go to Putin's World Cup now?" the Daily Mail has asked.

The world's other chief superpower, the US, has joined in Britain's protests, spurred on by Russia's alleged cyber-interference in its most recent presidential elections. The fear of voters being influenced by Russian fake news farms and troll armies has spread to countries like Spain and France. As with the poisoning of Skripal, Russia denies the accusations, and challenges those making them to bring forward proof.

The conflicts in Ukraine and Sryia and the annexing of the Crimea are further issues that may be added to the great many surrounding Putin, who this Sunday stands for re-election as Russian president. The programme of state-doping, too. On top of that, in another part of the world, the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and its allies' blockade against Qatar, Fifa's partner in the 2022 World Cup, continues. "I wanted the 2018 World Cup to go to Russia and 2022 to go to the United States. That would have kept a global balance, but Nicolas Sarkozy and Michel Platini [then presidents of France and Uefa, respectively,] supported Qatar, and the balance was broken," ex-Fifa chief Sepp Blatter has said, adding further fuel to the fire.

"There is no indication that the tensions are going to ease"

Against this backdrop, there is deep concern at Fifa. More than that: full-on panic. The body's president, Gianni Infantino, is on the other side of the world, in Peru, meeting with the heads of South America's confederations, having been photographed in recent days alongside Putin, playing football at the Kremlin. However, "he is far from indifferent to what's going on, even if he hides it," is the word from Zurich. "There is no indication that the tensions are going to ease; far from it. They look like they'll get worse, and that puts the World Cup at risk." Russia 2018 will see a diplomatic snubbing of Putin. But above and beyond that danger is one of outright boycotts from the event, with several nations threatening to pull out.
1964white

News Latest - Russia/Possible World Cup Ban

Post by 1964white »

If you had the opportunity to go watch the 2018 World Cup

Would you go to Russia ?
hector

Re: News Latest - Russia/Possible World Cup Ban - Would you go ?

Post by hector »

Nope.... not allowed....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
hector

Post by hector »

Well to be fair I probably would be allowed now, but would have to get permission from MOD first.....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
gessa

Post by gessa »

The next 2 World cups are a joke, probably won't watch on tv let alone go.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I don't like flying any more so it's a no from me. But if I did enjoy flying I definately wouldn't go to Russia
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Nyet.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Not a chance. I think England should pull out now and stop dithering. I can see carnage for our fans tbh :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:39 pm I don't like flying any more so it's a no from me. But if I did enjoy flying I definately wouldn't go to Russia
Jill & I are the same, we hate the whole airport experience to be honest

No I wouldn't go if I had free match tickets & air travel
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm Not a chance. I think England should pull out now and stop dithering. I can see carnage for our fans tbh :bear:
Agree the tournament is a recipe for disaster now BB :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm The next 2 World cups are a joke, probably won't watch on tv let alone go.
I'll be watching just to see Russia knocked out of the WC would give me immense pleasure :lol:
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I wouldn’t go to Russia in the current climate. I went there in 1999 to watch us play Lokomotiv Moscow in the UEFA cup and it was the different security forces who followed us around the city all day who made it a most uncomfortable time, they were itching to have a go with anybody who stepped out of line and as we entered the ground many got hit by police/security/military batons just for the fun of it. The Lokomotiv fans goaded us all game but they were left alone while we were monitored and pushed about at will by the authorities.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

gessa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm The next 2 World cups are a joke, probably won't watch on tv let alone go.
Fully agree
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:55 pm Agree the tournament is a recipe for disaster now BB :tup:
Now and before the current political climate, carnage is unfortunately a nailed on cert
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Russians playing tit-tat are set to expel 23 British diplomats

Exactly the same amount of Russians being expelled from Britain
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:37 am Russians playing tit-tat are set to expel 23 British diplomats

They've disappointed me, I thought they would have expelled an extra one :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:37 am Russians playing tit-tat are set to expel 23 British diplomats

It happens every time one country expels another's diplomats. It's so childish you wouldn't believe that there are adults running these countries.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Re: News Latest - Russia/Possible World Cup Ban

Post by Clacton White »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm If you had the opportunity to go watch the 2018 World Cup

Would you go to Russia ?
No . But not because of politics - I just wouldn't pay to go and watch England - pure waste of money and time . I'd rather go enjoy the sites than be bored by watching England's anti-football .
This is all akin to Moscow 1980 , the US led boycott which long term didn't harm the olympics that much , in fact it helped GB in wining a few gold we might otherwise hadn't won ( Alan Wells ) . They would equally be , if not more so , be as well off looking at the Qatar world cup which will be held in sauna like conditions . Sepp Blatter has a lot to answer for .
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:55 pm Agree the tournament is a recipe for disaster now BB :tup:
Wonder how much Sepp got for allowing these next two world cup fiasco's .
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Clacton White wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:24 am Wonder how much Sepp got for allowing these next two world cup fiasco's .
The IOC have always been grateful for the existence of FIFA, otherwise they'd be the most corrupt organisation on earth.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.