Dean Smith or Oscar Garcia

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Dean Smith or Oscar Garcia

Post by Cjay »

Next manager please :)

Was going to wait till the end of the season but with Mick McCarthy leaving Ipswich I'm pulling the trigger now!!!

Don't swap a young hoof ball merchant from Yorkshire for an old hoof ball merchant from Yorkshire.

Radz, you need to go back to the playing style under TC.
You need proven good football on a budget.
You need Championship experience.
You need a man who gets the best out of a squad despite losing key players every window.
You need DEAN SMITH

Had to edit, didnt realise my 1st choice pre TC was out of a job.

Oscar Garcia would be perfect as well

Won trophies in Israel and Austria.
Got Brighton to the playoffs
Did a decent job in France, brief but left St Etienne in 6th, 3 places above where they were and are now actually.
Is used to having a DOF.

But above all that, he fits the club ideology, because he is a student of Johan Cruyff.
Played under Cruyff.
Coached with Cruyff
Came through the Barcelona academy and coached one of the youth teams to a treble in 2011.
Was even one of the candidates to replace Luis Enrique last summer.

Be delighted with either, Oscar Garcia probably suits us better though because of his decent playing career, used to a DOF, playing style and football education.
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dean Smith

Post by The Subhuman »

And Rowatt the minute Smith fails
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

If we got rid of Heckinbotton it would be a choice of three for me Smith from Brentford,Johnson from Bristol city or Hurst from Shrewsbury
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Has about as much experience in the championship as hecky and no experience of promotions, so it's a no from me. Would be an interesting appointment but he's got no experience of working with a decent budget. He's done well keeping teams up on a small budget but thus often doesn't transpire across to being able to build a promotion winning side when they have enough resources. Still, could think of worse appointments
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Lee Johnson would be very difficult to pry from Bristol City, but he'd be my choice. Or Gary Rowatt
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

My only hope is that they always viewed the PH appointment as a temporary one (although this is probably wishful thinking given they wasted £500k on him) and that it was to give them time to come up with a decent shortlist of suitable candidates ready for summer.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Radz apparently fancied Wagner prior to the play-offs last year, so that suggests he maybe has some idea what a good coach/manager looks like!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Still think there is a danger with a manager (coach?) that isn't used to the media circus that comes with Leeds United. Brentford, Bristol City and even 'Udders get nowehere near the attention we get down to expectation, fan base and history - it's almost a job in itself dealing with this side of the club - you need a top man who is comfortable with this aspect and has a trusted coaching staff who can implement tactics / plans on the training field. Not sure any of those fit that bill. It's not so bad when things go well but when the bad results come and the spotlight is on you if you are not able to cope things go wrong pretty quickly, probably a factor in why TC unravelled at the end.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 am Still think there is a danger with a manager (coach?) that isn't used to the media circus that comes with Leeds United. Brentford, Bristol City and even 'Udders get nowehere near the attention we get down to expectation, fan base and history - it's almost a job in itself dealing with this side of the club - you need a top man who is comfortable with this aspect and has a trusted coaching staff who can implement tactics / plans on the training field. Not sure any of those fit that bill. It's not so bad when things go well but when the bad results come and the spotlight is on you if you are not able to cope things go wrong pretty quickly, probably a factor in why TC unravelled at the end.
And lest not forget Warnock, one of the most experienced managers, also failed to deal with the biggest hurdles for any manager who comes here ...weight of expectation and lack of patience.

Sometimes it comes clear real quick that a manager is out of his depth. Hockaday/Redfearn/TC/Heck in all probability. It actually raises what SG did while here immensely. I didn't like him as a person but two great seasons consecutively is unheard of since I don't know when...probably HW himself
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 am Still think there is a danger with a manager (coach?) that isn't used to the media circus that comes with Leeds United. Brentford, Bristol City and even 'Udders get nowehere near the attention we get down to expectation, fan base and history - it's almost a job in itself dealing with this side of the club - you need a top man who is comfortable with this aspect and has a trusted coaching staff who can implement tactics / plans on the training field. Not sure any of those fit that bill. It's not so bad when things go well but when the bad results come and the spotlight is on you if you are not able to cope things go wrong pretty quickly, probably a factor in why TC unravelled at the end.
Very true, it's damn tough to be Leeds' manager.

The same thing applies to a lot of players, who have done fairly well elsewhere but find it tough playing in front of a lot more fans than they are used to every week.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I shall put the case for Dean forward. :)

2 Championship seasons, finished 9th and 10th.

This season same points total as last season now, in 10th, but with 4 games left.

Shows consistency and improvement this season.

His style of football, drew plenty of praise for it at Walsall, continued it at Brentford, with Fulham and Wolves probably the 3rd most pleasing side to watch are Brentford.

Brentford have made £30million or so pounds in transfer fees profit with Smith there, but results havent dropped (hello Hecky), he has lost 1 key player minimum every transfer window, and in some cases more (last summer, Jota, Harlee Dean, Maxime Colin, and in January top scorer Lasse Vibe).

He has also been involved in recruitment so he deserves credit for helping to find the likes of Sergi Canos, Neal Maupay, Ollie Watkins etc.

Shows a manager with an eye for a bargain, able to get the best out of his squad even after key departures and able to provide consistency in terms of results, playing style and identity.

He fits the playing styles through the teams plan, he (if allowed) can find bargains, he can provide consistent results (one thing we havent had for ages) and he isnt Mick McCarthy.
Signed

King Cjay

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dean Smith or Oscar Garcia

Post by Gandalf »

Here we go again. TC isn't doing anything.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am Lee Johnson would be very difficult to pry from Bristol City, but he'd be my choice. Or Gary Rowatt
I'd enjoy his Bristolian squeaky voice :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yes Norfolk managing modern day footballers with all their egos & immense wealth must be a very difficult task for even the top coaches/managers
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 pm Here we go again. TC isn't doing anything.
Whats TC got to do with this?
Signed

King Cjay

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gandalf wrote:

Here we go again. TC isn't doing anything.
I think like Gandi - all it takes is a realisation on a certain owner's part, an apology and a promise for the future.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dean Smith 's Brentford unlicky to only draw Vs Fulham.

1st half they were clearly the better side.

Last minute goal to draw and send Wolves up.

Ollie Watkins, Ryan Woods, Sergi Canos cost peanuts.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Dean Smith has never managed a club with expectations, so I doubt he could handle the job. Plus I don't think he likes us, as he was very bitter after the defeat against us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I haven't got a clue
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm I haven't got a clue
Hello Paul :wave: