The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 2nd May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 2nd May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 pm Maybe less pressure at Hillsborough although the Owls have passionate fans & a club with plenty of history & expectation

CB's do generally improve with age, in that case there could be hope for Cooper :roflmao:
There was a time when everything that went Wrong was Tom Lees' fault.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cheers pal.

Helender for me too although we have tried to sign him before.

We have a giant defender in our u23's. Think his name is Helme or something similar. He was injured shortly after arriving in the New Year. I'm hoping he'll be good.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 am I'd love the Kyle of last season back at ER, but this is the second knee ligament injury he has this season, so it something of a gamble. As dezzy says, down to our medical staff to assess prior to any potential deal be signed. Silva or Billic for me too. I also like the Harry's idea of a total wage cap, not based on individuals. We need to be able to offer more to attract better players, gone are the days where simply getting to play for Leeds united was a lure in itself. Might work for lower league potential, but not for established Championship players or Prem cast offs
Agree with all of that! :)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Kyle Bartley
If your numbers are correct on Pablo. that means about 20k a week and that might be a fair reflection of our new wage cap - which could be a fair amount for Bartley. I'm ambivalent on that one. The way the announcement came out, after all the fans were pissed off on Saturday, makes you question the motive. I'm not doubting it's true, but maybe it's motivated by fan appeasement. My only concern is his injuries. Be glad to have him but like you suggested - there's probably better, cheaper and healthier.
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Coach
Hecks is still in the job so I'm not going to ruffle this one too much. But it seems Orta and the higher ups want a continental, attractive coach. I'd favor that too, but the priority is promotion. I think Silva and Bilic have a bit of both. Pardew and McClaren absolutely not.
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Championship clubs graded by their ability to fill their ground
84% of capacity – Elland Road
Great numbers for a championship club - given the size of our stadium. Let's get back to our potential and 100%
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Panini sticker album
Had many. I think I filled the 86 world cup book, thanks to a shop keeper that did swaps. I also filled one of the club ones by sending in the money for the extra ones I was missing. Like so many of my childhood wastes of money - Wish I still had them now.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:00 pm If your numbers are correct on Pablo. that means about 20k a week and that might be a fair reflection of our new wage cap - which could be a fair amount for Bartley. I'm ambivalent on that one. The way the announcement came out, after all the fans were pissed off on Saturday, makes you question the motive. I'm not doubting it's true, but maybe it's motivated by fan appeasement. My only concern is his injuries. Be glad to have him but like you suggested - there's probably better, cheaper and healthier.

Hecks is still in the job so I'm not going to ruffle this one too much. But it seems Orta and the higher ups want a continental, attractive coach. I'd favor that too, but the priority is promotion. I think Silva and Bilic have a bit of both. Pardew and McClaren absolutely not.

Great numbers for a championship club - given the size of our stadium. Let's get back to our potential and 100%

Had many. I think I filled the 86 world cup book, thanks to a shop keeper that did swaps. I also filled one of the club ones by sending in the money for the extra ones I was missing. Like so many of my childhood wastes of money - Wish I still had them now.
Afternoon AJ, I think everybody is in agreement regarding the next managerial choices. I cannot understand how any club would want Pardew.

I just hope that Hernandez can repeat what he has done this season next season. He is 33 now and his new contract will The end of his playing career.

The Panini stickers Certainly kept me out of mischief. I can remember they were 5p Each.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:00 pm If your numbers are correct on Pablo. that means about 20k a week and that might be a fair reflection of our new wage cap - which could be a fair amount for Bartley. I'm ambivalent on that one. The way the announcement came out, after all the fans were pissed off on Saturday, makes you question the motive. I'm not doubting it's true, but maybe it's motivated by fan appeasement. My only concern is his injuries. Be glad to have him but like you suggested - there's probably better, cheaper and healthier.

Afternoon AJ, I think everybody is in agreement regarding the next managerial choices. I cannot understand how any club would want Pardew.

I just hope that Hernandez can repeat what he has done this season next season. He is 33 now and his new contract will The end of his playing career.

The Panini stickers Certainly kept me out of mischief. I can remember they were 5p Each.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm Tickets, travel & refreshements

Nearly £2,000 a season I reckon

Maybe folks on here realise why I'm not so understanding about our demise ;-)
No one shocked on how much I spend following Leeds then :?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 pm The Panini stickers Certainly kept me out of mischief. I can remember they were 5p Each.
Not me. I think I might have nicked the odd packet.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm No one shocked on how much I spend following Leeds then :?
No. Surprised it’s only 2 grand considering you go to nearly every game, not that 2 grand is an igsignificant amount, but quite reasonable for what you get to see, it costs me 600 euro and that’s for two games a year!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am Its a gamble, but a calculated one. Give Radrizzani his dues, he and Orta have done a fantastic job with the academy. Damn shame about the senior squad. I wonder whether the academy players will be ready for first team action come August / September?
Hopefully at least a few of them will be ready
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

becchio bear wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:18 pm Never ceases to amaze me how "ordinary" people think weekly salaries such as 15K are too low. There are many people out there who don't earn that in a year!!! Too much money in football and about time it was stopped. A cap for the total wage bill is a very good one H :tup: :bear:
Relative to most of us entertainers earn a lot of money - and you are right, probably too much. But for that to change, the whole world has to change. In the mean time, you need to spend a lot of money to get the better footballers.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am Good Morning Everyone

If Leeds want Kyle Bartley they will need to match the £28,000 a week wage he is currently on.

Bearing in mind the 26 yo has suffered another knee ligament injury, would you take the risk and sign him?

Until recently Leeds capped their wages at 15k a week until last week when Hernandez signed a two year extension reported to set them back 2m over the next two years.

Are these players worth it?

Is there better, and cheaper out there?

Marco Silva's odds of becoming the next Leeds Utd Manager have been slashed from 33/1 (last weekend) to 15/2 (now).

The candidates now rank:

Mick McCarthy

Nigel Pearson

Steve McClaren

Silva

Slaven Bilic

Alan Pardew

Put the above candidates in order of favourite to least favourite...

Below is a list of all Championship clubs graded by their ability to fill their ground so far this season.

1. Norwich City

94% of capacity – Carrow Road

2. Wolves

91% of capacity – Molineux

3. Leeds United

84% of capacity – Elland Road

4. Nottingham Forest

82% of capacity – City Ground

5. Sheffield United

82% of capacity – Bramall Lane

6. Derby County

79% of capacity – Pride Park

7. Brentford

78% of capacity – Griffin Park

8. QPR

77% of capacity – Loftus Road

9. Middlesbrough

75% of capacity – Riverside Stadium

9. Fulham

75% of capacity – Craven Cottage

11. Aston Villa

74% of capacity – Villa Park

Leeds fan Jonathan Ward has just sold his Panini sticker album for a World record £1550 on ebay, and there are 6 stickers missing!!!

Ward was preparing for a house move when he came across his Mexico 1970 World Cup album.

How many of us used to collerct Panini stickers?

Any stories to tell?
Great post and some very interesting points raised here :)

Bartley for me is worth every penny of that £28,000 just for what he would bring to the team: leadership, goals (excellent goalscoring record for a CB), an ability to pass the ball out the back and on top of everything he is an excellent defender for this level. I would take the risk unless his medical showed that he was at a very serious risk of picking up the same problem again and again, easy to forget Pontus had a horrendous record with knee injuries as well before coming to Leeds, however, has never had that problem at Leeds. Different training schedules and training methods plus being proactive about the situation i.e. advising the player how to avoid picking up the injury by changing how they tackle slightly or how they react to being tackled can make all the difference.

In terms of managerial candidates I would go (from favourite to least favourite)
1. Marco Silva
2. Slaven Bilic
3. Mick McCarthy
4. Nigel Pearson
5. Steve McClaren
6. Alan Pardew

Only Silva or Bilic would interest me atm tbh, just can't see any of the others being a success here with possibly the exception of McCarthy but it would be a risk. I don't think we could get Silva as I think premier league clubs will be very interested in the summer. I think Bilic would be a really good fit though. The only british manager I can think of (who we could realistically get) who I would like to see here is Alex Neil at Preston.

I used to collect panini stickers still kept hold of them all as well (I think).

Apologies I just realised I never replied to your Liam Cooper post from the other day as well from the other day :oops:
Morning Oscar, its interesting that almost everyone wants to get rid of Cooper. Has he been that bad this season or does his face not fit?
He started the season well but since the Cardiff game has gone back to his usual form and still makes the same mistakes he made in 2014. I just think Pontus, Shaughnessy and O'Connor are better defenders and have much more potential, Coops comes across really well off the pitch but sadly I just don't think he is going to be good enough for us going forward if we want to progress (even as 3rd/4th choice as he is just so error prone and is disciplinary record is very poor as well.) That's just my opinion though mate :tup:

Welcome to the forum :)
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm Tickets, travel & refreshements

Nearly £2,000 a season I reckon

Maybe folks on here realise why I'm not so understanding about our demise ;-)
I think i've comfortably passed the £1,000 mark this season mate :cry: and i've hardly been to any away games (5) either :cry: really wish I hadn't calculated that now :lol: .
Away games are the expensive ones though especially the London games.

Are you at the game on Sunday Leon? i'm in the Kop (N9) if you are would you want to meet up before the game maybe :) mate?
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm No one shocked on how much I spend following Leeds then :?
I was spending way in excess of this amount for years prior and 3 years post the 2003 - 2004 implosion, traveling >6000 miles, including my season ticket, to watch the lads 4 - 5 times a season, as my schedule allowed. In 2007, I decided that this was perhaps not the best use of my income, and begrudgingly did not renew my season ticket.

The point is that it was my decision to spend part of my income breathing the match day culture, and do not regret. In addition, not having a season ticket, and not attending every home and away game does not in my opinion make me any less of a fan, than someone who has an easier opportunity, to attend games.

Certainly not having a dig at you, however It does irk me somewhat listening to constant "us fans", "my hard earned wages", "I've seen every game home and away" etc. Conclusion being the choice is yours to how you wish to spend your money, is there a need to constantly highlight it? Are you more of a dedicated Leeds fan than others who may have other priorities with their income, such as raising their kids and family, individuals who may be medically or physically challenged to travel to games, living, working overseas?

Enjoy to read yours and other individuals opinions on the forum, and most certainly do not engage in pathetic forum type politics, have absolutely no agenda. Just pointing out that every individual on this forum helps me breath the match day culture from afar, even "Consumer Advice with Liggy" thread has me in raptures, and no one individual seems any more or less a fan than the other, or more deserved or informed.

To answer your questions, no I am not shocked at how much you spend supporting Leeds, and no I don't see why you especially should be any less understanding of our demise.

Hope you don't take this post the wrong way, you know I love you despite the above observations :love: ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 am I was spending way in excess of this amount for years prior and 3 years post the 2003 - 2004 implosion, traveling >6000 miles, including my season ticket, to watch the lads 4 - 5 times a season, as my schedule allowed. In 2007, I decided that this was perhaps not the best use of my income, and begrudgingly did not renew my season ticket.

The point is that it was my decision to spend part of my income breathing the match day culture, and do not regret. In addition, not having a season ticket, and not attending every home and away game does not in my opinion make me any less of a fan, than someone who has an easier opportunity, to attend games.

Certainly not having a dig at you, however It does irk me somewhat listening to constant "us fans", "my hard earned wages", "I've seen every game home and away" etc. Conclusion being the choice is yours to how you wish to spend your money, is there a need to constantly highlight it? Are you more of a dedicated Leeds fan than others who may have other priorities with their income, such as raising their kids and family, individuals who may be medically or physically challenged to travel to games, living, working overseas?

Enjoy to read yours and other individuals opinions on the forum, and most certainly do not engage in pathetic forum type politics, have absolutely no agenda. Just pointing out that every individual on this forum helps me breath the match day culture from afar, even "Consumer Advice with Liggy" thread has me in raptures, and no one individual seems any more or less a fan than the other, or more deserved or informed.

To answer your questions, no I am not shocked at how much you spend supporting Leeds, and no I don't see why you especially should be any less understanding of our demise.

Hope you don't take this post the wrong way, you know I love you despite the above observations :love: ;-)
Good reply Azkal

Wasn't having a go at other fans mate. Elland asked me how much I spend following Leeds & when I thought about it the cost shocked me somewhat ;-)

I know of someone who travels from Moscow to watch his beloved Leeds
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Oscar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:14 pm Great post and some very interesting points raised here :)

Bartley for me is worth every penny of that £28,000 just for what he would bring to the team: leadership, goals (excellent goalscoring record for a CB), an ability to pass the ball out the back and on top of everything he is an excellent defender for this level. I would take the risk unless his medical showed that he was at a very serious risk of picking up the same problem again and again, easy to forget Pontus had a horrendous record with knee injuries as well before coming to Leeds, however, has never had that problem at Leeds. Different training schedules and training methods plus being proactive about the situation i.e. advising the player how to avoid picking up the injury by changing how they tackle slightly or how they react to being tackled can make all the difference.

In terms of managerial candidates I would go (from favourite to least favourite)
1. Marco Silva
2. Slaven Bilic
3. Mick McCarthy
4. Nigel Pearson
5. Steve McClaren
6. Alan Pardew

Only Silva or Bilic would interest me atm tbh, just can't see any of the others being a success here with possibly the exception of McCarthy but it would be a risk. I don't think we could get Silva as I think premier league clubs will be very interested in the summer. I think Bilic would be a really good fit though. The only british manager I can think of (who we could realistically get) who I would like to see here is Alex Neil at Preston.

I used to collect panini stickers still kept hold of them all as well (I think).

Apologies I just realised I never replied to your Liam Cooper post from the other day as well from the other day :oops:

He started the season well but since the Cardiff game has gone back to his usual form and still makes the same mistakes he made in 2014. I just think Pontus, Shaughnessy and O'Connor are better defenders and have much more potential, Coops comes across really well off the pitch but sadly I just don't think he is going to be good enough for us going forward if we want to progress (even as 3rd/4th choice as he is just so error prone and is disciplinary record is very poor as well.) That's just my opinion though mate :tup:

Welcome to the forum :)
Morning Oscar, many thanks for your kind words.

The Bartley deal could work out for us if the contract was in our favour. I suggest a one year deal with Leeds given the option to extend to a second, and then a third.

In exchange for this, we would honour his 28k a week.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 am Good reply Azkal

Wasn't having a go at other fans mate. Elland asked me how much I spend following Leeds & when I thought about it the cost shocked me somewhat ;-)

I know of someone who travels from Moscow to watch his beloved Leeds
I know mate, just putting a point of view across. But I do take my hat off to you for your dedication, and even more so to Mrs 64 who has to get up at a God awful hour to fix your pack up for your away trips ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am I know mate, just putting a point of view across. But I do take my hat off to you for your dedication, and even more so to Mrs 64 who has to get up at a God awful hour to fix your pack up for your away trips ;-)
My mate Gary who does all the homes/aways gives me some right stick about Mrs 64 getting up early fussing over me :lol: Jill is a wonderful wife & person whom consider others before herself, we both do to be honest. I'd be lost without my Jill :love:
hector

Post by hector »

But she doesn't half party whilst you are watching the match though... :oops: :oops:

:)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 am My mate Gary who does all the homes/aways gives me some right stick about my Mrs 64 getting up early fussing over me :lol: Jill is a wonderful wife & person whom consider others before herself, we both do to be honest. I'd be lost without my Jill :love:
Are we talking about Gary Edwards?