O/T Royal Wedding

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am
I'd rather watch my own execution. £30 million to stage, when millions in this country go hungry.
Yep, with you 100%. The fact that we still have a "Royal Family" in the 21st century is an obscenity.

My wife was watching it on Sky and that stupid Kay Burly summed up what's wrong with this country (without realising it) when she said, as Markle approached the church, "She goes in for the last time as a commoner". A "commoner!!"

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 63887
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by 1964white » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm
Yep, with you 100%. The fact that we still have a "Royal Family" in the 21st century is an obscenity
Why is it because we're in the 21st century ? I don't understand your point
AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm
My wife was watching it on Sky and that stupid Kay Burly summed up what's wrong with this country (without realising it) when she said, as Markle approached the church, "She goes in for the last time as a commoner". A "commoner!!"
Agree with you on Kay Burley & Kirsty Young (on BBC)

AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Why is it because we're in the 21st century ? I don't understand your point
Fair point. Monarchy is probably three or four centuries out of date.

Norm
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4956
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by Norm » Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

I like Her Maj - I think she's done a fantastic job of representing us over the years. I'd far rather have our (immediate) Royal Family than the likes of 'non-King' Trump representing us, because that's the alternative. She's unelected, with no political power, only her gracious presence. What the future holds with Charles or William no one can tell, but they have to have learned from the example set by Her Maj.

If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.

Today's wedding is a bit of a sham but millions will love it for what it is, a 'Pomp and Circumstance' special event. This is true of Americans almost more than UK citizens.

I have the right to say what I have said and have taken it - my views are my own business and nobody else's.

If anyone is offended by my words, I'm sure they'll get over it.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 63887
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by 1964white » Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm

AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm
Fair point. Monarchy is probably three or four centuries out of date.
Why is it out of date ?

Take out our monarchy then our history, religious faith & good values this country stands for are gone especially with the prospect of dictatorship rule

Apart from the royal family whom are respected worldwide we have lost every tradition in all aspects of life as a nation & we are not a better place for the values we've lost !

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 63887
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by 1964white » Sat May 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

I like Her Maj - I think she's done a fantastic job of representing us over the years. I'd far rather have our (immediate) Royal Family than the likes of 'non-King' Trump representing us, because that's the alternative. She's unelected, with no political power, only her gracious presence. What the future holds with Charles or William no one can tell, but they have to have learned from the example set by Her Maj.

If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.

Today's wedding is a bit of a sham but millions will love it for what it is, a 'Pomp and Circumstance' special event. This is true of Americans almost more than UK citizens.

I have the right to say what I have said and have taken it - my views are my own business and nobody else's.

If anyone is offended by my words, I'm sure they'll get over it.
Great post Norm :tup:

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4135
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by hector » Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:45 pm
Great post Norm :tup:
Ditto :tup:
:tup: “And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.” :wink:

User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by Muppet the Cat » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm

hector wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 pm
Ditto :tup:
100% agree

AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm
Why is it out of date ?

Take out our monarchy then our history, religious faith & good values this country stands for are gone especially with the prospect of dictatorship rule

Apart from the royal family whom are respected worldwide we have lost every tradition in all aspects of life as a nation & we are not a better place for the values we've lost !
Really? Explain what traditions and values we've lost.

And how does dictatorship take over when monarchy goes?

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 63887
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by 1964white » Sat May 19, 2018 6:04 pm

AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm
Really? Explain what traditions and values we've lost.
You maybe watching one at Wembley now
AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm
And how does dictatorship take over when monarchy goes?
The thought of someone like Trump/Putin at the helm is a frightening prospect !

AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm

1964white wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:04 pm
You maybe watching one at Wembley now

The thought of someone like Trump/Putin at the helm is a frightening !
The FA Cup not kicking off at 3pm you mean? Not really that devastating a loss to our traditions and values is it? Is that all you've got?

I'll give you Putin but Trump is not a dictator and will be replaced by a democratic system. Many countries have got rid of monarchies and not become dictatorships.

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm
Location: Herisau

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by fred » Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm

The queen is a reptilian if I`m informed correctly...

AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

I like Her Maj - I think she's done a fantastic job of representing us over the years. I'd far rather have our (immediate) Royal Family than the likes of 'non-King' Trump representing us, because that's the alternative. She's unelected, with no political power, only her gracious presence. What the future holds with Charles or William no one can tell, but they have to have learned from the example set by Her Maj.

If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.

Today's wedding is a bit of a sham but millions will love it for what it is, a 'Pomp and Circumstance' special event. This is true of Americans almost more than UK citizens.

I have the right to say what I have said and have taken it - my views are my own business and nobody else's.

If anyone is offended by my words, I'm sure they'll get over it.
Although I don't agree with what you say, you definitely have the right to say it and I don't see why anyone should be offended by it.

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm
Location: Herisau

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by fred » Sat May 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm
If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.
The Royals aren`t aloud to interfer with politics. But fact is that the queen has massiv influence, of course following her own agenda.

What puzzles me is how anybody could believe to be represented adaequately by any other person.
O.k., the big mass of averageness maybe...

User avatar
John in Louisiana
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by John in Louisiana » Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am
I'd rather watch my own execution. £30 million to stage, when millions in this country go hungry.
I teach this stuff at a university here in the US.............

Thirty million is actually sort of insubstantial compared to the tourism money - direct and indirect - events like this generate. It will be a net positive for the country.

Not being British it certainly isn't my place to say this, but the royal family's tourism value is one of the best arguments for keeping them around.
Last edited by John in Louisiana on Sat May 19, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4956
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by Norm » Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 pm

AndyG wrote:

Although I don't agree with what you say, you definitely have the right to say it and I don't see why anyone should be offended by it.
Thank you Andy - I appreciate the thought and respect your views. :tup:

liggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 am

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by liggy » Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 pm

becchio bear wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:58 am
I just don't like the Markle, cannot warm to her at all. She comes across as false and rather sly and don't get me started on her "
MEEEEE-OWWWWW :shirtw:

I was in floods & her mam lady merkle looked lovely in lilac :love:

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 24344
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by faaip » Sat May 19, 2018 7:15 pm

No interest in the Royals, quite happy we have them. They're quintessentially British....and well said Norm.
"Stepping out to Angellucci's for my coffee beans
Checking out the movies and the magazines
Waitress she watches me crossing from the Barocco Bar"

AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm
I teach this stuff at a university here in the US.............

Thirty million is actually sort of insubstantial compared to the tourism money - direct and indirect - events like this generate. It will be a net positive for the country.

Not being British it certainly isn't my place to say this, but the royal family's tourism value is one of the best arguments for keeping them around.
That's a line that's often trotted out by Royalists but please explain how that works exactly.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 63887
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by 1964white » Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm

AndyG wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm
The FA Cup not kicking off at 3pm you mean? Not really that devastating a loss to our traditions and values is it? Is that all you've got?
My god where do I start

Old traditions diminishing/dying

Sporting Events
Local cricket/bowls clubs
Record shops
Banks
Building Societies
Pubs
High Street shops
Religion
Meaning of Christmas
Bonfire night
Morris dancing in villages
Communicating & caring with your neighbours
Respect, humanity & courtesy
a) (holding doors open for someone behind you)
b) (giving up your seat for a lady/pensioner on public transport)
Children playing out in streets & on parks
Children showing a lack of respect to adults
Comedy/sense of humour down to the pc world that we now live in !

Post Reply