Championship 18/19

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Championship 18/19 - Norwich v Swansea tonight

Post by whiteswan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm

faaip wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 pm
Nah...1 shot one goal is just luck.
One chance, they took it. We need 5 or six...

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Championship 18/19 - Sheff U v Rotherham/WBA v Ipswich

Post by faaip » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

One chance over 90 minutes v Swansea is crap to be honest... You cannot be happy with that if you're the Norwich boss.
Team I'd be perfectly happy starting next season

Casilla - Ayling - Douglas - Jansson - Struijk - Phillips - Alioski - Klich - Bogusz - Roofe - BUT WE NEED A LEFT WINGER!

"objective fan" - is that a consistent oxymoron?"

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:16 am

faaip wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm
One chance over 90 minutes v Swansea is crap to be honest... You cannot be happy with that if you're the Norwich boss.
Agree....but they keep converting that one chance.....hence they are top of the Championship and we are not.

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 am

......by five points I hasten to add!

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 am

Think injuries and poor transfers will be what does us in in the end for the title.

Was Izzy Brown really worth it? Not for me, Baker, Blackman, Harrison? Should we have been more ambitious? Paid the loan fee for Wilson for example?

Was letting Saiz go with no replacement smart? No.

6 games without Bamford, Hernandez and Roofe in September.

Jack Clarke missing for the QPR game, would he have made the difference? Perhaps he has before.

Think Bamford though is the big one, had we had him and Roofe fit for most of the games like Norwich have had Pukki and Rhodes then i think things would be different.

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Championship 18/19 - Sheff U v Rotherham/WBA v Ipswich today

Post by Genghers » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:25 am

Sounds like Swansea were unlucky to be honest.

Have said it all season, but the ball just seems to fall kindly for Norwich every time... You make your own luck I suppose, but winning 1-0 with 1 shot on goal is freak stuff.

I do think the title is their's to lose now, but they really don't look like slipping.

Hopefully we can carry on the finishing form we found last week and keep pushing them all the way!

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:40 am

Cjay wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 am
Think injuries and poor transfers will be what does us in in the end for the title.

Was Izzy Brown really worth it? Not for me, Baker, Blackman, Harrison? Should we have been more ambitious? Paid the loan fee for Wilson for example?

Was letting Saiz go with no replacement smart? No.

6 games without Bamford, Hernandez and Roofe in September.

Jack Clarke missing for the QPR game, would he have made the difference? Perhaps he has before.

Think Bamford though is the big one, had we had him and Roofe fit for most of the games like Norwich have had Pukki and Rhodes then i think things would be different.
You can't help injuries though, and I don't think that the games we have lost have been down to players being missing... we won with Will Huffer and Halme in defence and were top for a very long time.

Our form dipped at the wrong time and it is always harder when you are first and looking behind you - just look at Liverpool this year!

Maybe Izzy Brown hasn't been worth it, but there are still 11 games he could feature in, which is enough to make the difference. He was a good signing on paper, but there was always a risk with him being injured for the first half of the season.

It's all well and good saying 'we should have been more ambitious', but you forget that Bielsa was happy with the squad he had and is more or less happy now (he only wanted James and we should have had him). You look at all the accounts coming out with teams making losses of tens of millions and are nowhere near our position... I think it's been well played by the owner tbh.

Bamford was signed to be our number 9, but obviously Roofe made that position his own and Bamford had to make do with sub appearances... and then got injured. He's coming back now and has already won us some important points. I agree that it would have been nice to have him all season, but you can say that for any of the injured first teamers!

A lot can happen in 11 games. Our squad is essentially getting stronger because if players coming back - it'll be Clarke next, then Berardi and Roofe. We're also seeing improving performances from players like Roberts and Harrison...

Just take it game by game and hope that some results eventually fall kindly for us!

Mick Jones shoulder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Ifs buts and maybes, may as well enjoy the last 11 and hopefully we get the job done. Watched Norwich last night they were no great shakes to be honest in the same way we haven't on occasion. If you listened to the pundits and Norwich supporters they are fantastic, with no worries getting promoted and staying up next season. given yesterday's performance there is hope for everyone as Swansea were more than a match for them.. Sometimes the the stars align and I think that's the case for them.

Chilli D
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chilli D » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Darren Moore sacked!

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Genghers wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:40 am
You can't help injuries though, and I don't think that the games we have lost have been down to players being missing... we won with Will Huffer and Halme in defence and were top for a very long time.

Our form dipped at the wrong time and it is always harder when you are first and looking behind you - just look at Liverpool this year!

Maybe Izzy Brown hasn't been worth it, but there are still 11 games he could feature in, which is enough to make the difference. He was a good signing on paper, but there was always a risk with him being injured for the first half of the season.

It's all well and good saying 'we should have been more ambitious', but you forget that Bielsa was happy with the squad he had and is more or less happy now (he only wanted James and we should have had him). You look at all the accounts coming out with teams making losses of tens of millions and are nowhere near our position... I think it's been well played by the owner tbh.

Bamford was signed to be our number 9, but obviously Roofe made that position his own and Bamford had to make do with sub appearances... and then got injured. He's coming back now and has already won us some important points. I agree that it would have been nice to have him all season, but you can say that for any of the injured first teamers!

A lot can happen in 11 games. Our squad is essentially getting stronger because if players coming back - it'll be Clarke next, then Berardi and Roofe. We're also seeing improving performances from players like Roberts and Harrison...

Just take it game by game and hope that some results eventually fall kindly for us!
Well said. People can always say we would have won with player x playing but there is never any guarantees. Player x could have had a mare and don't forget that Tyler Roberts scored both goals in one of our wins (think it was v Hull). We have had plenty of games where we have had a strong team but not scored whether it was Hernadez, Bamford etc v QPR or several other matches where we have scored only once or not scored despite having a strong team, dominating and having the chances. Yes it would have been great to have had everyone fit so we had great options coming off the bench but equally if everyone is fit then there are a lot of players not getting games and potentially getting unhappy and team spirit can suffer. Our togetherness is a strong part of this team but to some degree Bielsa's tough decisions, in terms of team selections, have been taken out of his hands, i.e Bamford getting injured and then Roofe getting injured when Bamford was back, Forshaw getting injured when KP was back, Douglas out for longer than expected so MB didn't have to pick between him and Alioski.

Always going to be drops in form, players aren't robots and a bit of bad luck over a few games can just as easily give you a bad run as a bit of good luck can help you have a good run. Over the full season you'd hope luck evens out for everyone. We won 7 then had a bad run but just look at Bristol's form after 9 wins in a row? Think they have now lost 4 and drawn 1 of their last 5. The good thing for me was that performances didn't drop significantly even when results did - we just couldn't score and seemed to gift goals to the opposition.

If Izzy Brown hadn't had a problem with his initial comeback then he may well have been part of the first team now. However it may be that he runs out of time to really get up to full match sharpness and it is hard for MB to pick him if he hasn't got full trust in him/his fitness. Many fans suggesting he should have been brought on today but can you risk carrying someone who isn't fully fit whilst you are clinging on to a lead? A tricky situation for MB to manage him but given that the team has had us top 2 without Brown MB is quite right to trust them.

Harrison looks to blossoming at the right time, has Wilson, like Derby, run out of steam at the wrong time? Don't forget that Wilson probably hasn't had to go through the rigours of a full season. Even whilst Harrison was struggling in an attacking sense he was still working his b*lls off defensively, would we have got that from a player like Wilson? Derby's main striker has 5 league goals, considering Wilson has more does that suggest that Wilson is selfish from the wide area and not a team player? Not having a go at Wilson as I haven't seen much of him but MB's biggest strength seems to be having got this great team spirit and players who have worked their b*lls off all season, very easy for one player to jeopardise that.

The matches are ticking down and I bet Norwich were very hopeful of us slipping up against Bristol. Certainly our match looked the toughest of any of the top 5 sides. I fully expect Norwich, Sheff U and us to drop unexpected points and at the same time get wins in what looked to be tricky matches.
Senor El Weasel

leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 am

Fingers crossed we can do the business at Reading and the blades loose or at the very least held to a draw by the bees.
That would give us a 4 point buffer ( if they draw) before we play the blades on Saturday, beat the blades and 7 points on them.... Real possibility.
I'm getting ahead of myself game at a time.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:26 am

So it looks like it could be a three-horse race between us, Norwich and Sheffield United for the two automatic spots.

Now I cast your minds back to our promotion-winning season in 1989-90.

That too was a three horse race as the season drew to a close, again we were there and Sheffield United. The other team were Newcastle.

Newcastle and Norwich - both start with an N

Newcastle are known as the Toons, and Norwich the Canaries. Canaries being birds, and birds are famous for singing - singing and toons (tunes).

It's an omen, we are going up.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:36 am

HarryofOz wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:26 am
So it looks like it could be a three-horse race between us, Norwich and Sheffield United for the two automatic spots.

Now I cast your minds back to our promotion-winning season in 1989-90.

That too was a three horse race as the season drew to a close, again we were there and Sheffield United. The other team were Newcastle.

Newcastle and Norwich - both start with an N

Newcastle are known as the Toons, and Norwich the Canaries. Canaries being birds, and birds are famous for singing - singing and toons (tunes).

It's an omen, we are going up.
It's nailed on then H :)

And don't forget the last time we went up, from league 1, the other team was Norwich.

The last time we won the top division, we won it at Sheffield Utd and our last game was at home to Norwich.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:36 am
It's nailed on then H :)

And don't forget the last time we went up, from league 1, the other team was Norwich.

The last time we won the top division, we won it at Sheffield Utd and our last game was at home to Norwich.
Even more proof of our destiny Ges :)

I can't understand how anyone could be worried about how our season will end.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 am

HarryofOz wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 am
Even more proof of our destiny Ges :)

I can't understand how anyone could be worried about how our season will end.

They may as well do the bus parade now.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:44 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 am
Absolutely

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:46 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 am
I'll hop onto the bus now :-D

Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Championship 18/19

Post by Newport white » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Disgraceful at Birmingham today, fan attack’s grealish, fair play to him he is getting on with the game but Birmingham will be punished big time

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Newport white wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:16 pm
Disgraceful at Birmingham today, fan attack’s grealish, fair play to him he is getting on with the game but Birmingham will be punished big time
I've a mate who's a copper, he's on a force that other forces call in for high risk games. He says the worst is always the Villa/ Birmingham games, more hatred than any other he's encountered and over the years he's probably done them all.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Reading game has a touch of the QPR game about it.

Southern side struggling, away game with a chance to go back to the top, lets hope we turn up to this one.

Hull and Brentford on form are a match for Blades and Norwich.

Really good chance for us to put pressure on those 2 with games for them you expect them to win but you never know which Hull or Brentford will turn up.

If its them at there best they can take points off of two of our rivals.

But we must do our bit! !!!

Advertisment