Bielsa Tactics

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Bielsa Tactics

Post by Cjay »

Again it could be a bit early, but why not.

So hypothetically Monday morning, he is announced. His preferred formation, the one he is known for is below, but he has been known to play 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 to as well.

. . . . . . . . . . gk. . . . . . . . . .
. .CB . . . . . . Cb . . . . . .Cb

Wb .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wb

. . . . . . . . . .Cm . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .Am . . . . . . . . . . . .

Am . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Am
. . . . . . . . . .Striker . . . . . . . . . . . .

From what ive read, it will look something like that. It requires players comfortable on the ball all over the pitch, gks and cbs included, in fact he has been known to convert midfielders and full backs into cbs for that exact reason.

Wingers are ordered to stay wide, make the pitch as wide as they can and the wing backs exploit those spaces.
The Enganche (number 10) is the main creative outlet, his role isnt to defend, it is always be available, maintain posession and provide the creativity.

The dm/cm is meant to win the ball back and start us on our way, must be defensively strong, but also not technically poor, think Busquets at Barcelona.

The key to this formation is flexability, being able to outnumber the opposition all over the pitch as the players are adapt at doing the attacking and defensive sides equally.

So there are quite a few of our players who really will struggle imo.

Thinking Berardi for one, Phillips for another, Dallas.

Its far to in depth for a novice like me to explain properly but thems the basics.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-do ... 3-1-a.html (this is much better then anything i could have done lol, read this first)

So who goes where for us and what do we need?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bielsa Tactics

Post by Cjay »

radebe88 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:59 pm Saw this video the other day...

https://youtu.be/wDRVk4qvDX0

Was it you ? ;-)
I wish :lol:

Have seen that its very interesting.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

. . . . . . . . . . gk. . . . . . . . . .
. .Ayling . . . . . . Jansson . . . . . .Cb

Wb .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pearce

. . . . . . . . . .Vieira . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . P.Hernandez . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alioski . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Am
. . . . . . . . . .A Hernandez . . . . . . . . . . . .

Controversial with Saiz and Forshaw but i dont think Forshaw is good enough defensively and i think with no defensive responsibility Pablo is perfect as an Enganche.

Ideally a left footed cb signed.

New right wing back

New goalie.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

-----------------------BPF----------------

---------- Jansson -Vierra ----New

---Ayling ----------------------------Pearce

----------------------Klich------------------

Alioski------- Heranadez------------- --- Roofe

----------------------New
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

One of the back three is a libero and I don't think PJ passes well enough or ever will...BPF is a full international now and deserves the chance plus I think he's good enough
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Agree with Faaip in where Ayling plays, with perhaps Coyle behind him. Ayling imo is not good enough defensively for the system, offensive side to his game is his strongest point.
Interesting you both left out Saiz.

Looking at the system, we'd perhaps need 3 new players with what we have, spend the mjority of the reputed £20m kitty on those 3 to hopefully get some quality in, add 1 or 2 in January if required.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 pm Agree with Faaip in where Ayling plays, with perhaps Coyle behind him. Ayling imo is not good enough defensively for the system, offensive side to his game is his strongest point.
Interesting you both left out Saiz.

Looking at the system, we'd perhaps need 3 new players with what we have, spend the mjority of the reputed £20m kitty on those 3 to hopefully get some quality in, add 1 or 2 in January if required.
Wasnt even close for me.

Saiz is quicker but Pablo is more intelligent, better vision, better passing.

With no defensive responsibility he would thrive imo, especially with pace around him.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

God help us if we start with some of the players mentioned, they couldn't play this system because of their lack of energy, pace, movement & intelligence. We'd need five or six decent signings to play this type of game.

Even though I'm unconvinced we're having a laugh aren't we :

Alioski & Roofe before Saiz.....Vieira ahead of Forshaw :shock:

With one or two exceptions I wouldn’t cry if the majority of them left as not one is a mercurial talent regardless of formation.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm God help us if we start with some of the players mentioned, they couldn't play this system because of their lack of energy, pace, movement & intelligence. We'd need five or six decent signings to play this type of game.

Even though I'm unconvinced we're having a laugh aren't we :

Alioski & Roofe before Saiz.....Vieira ahead of Forshaw :shock:

With one or two exceptions I wouldn’t cry if the majority of them left as not one is a mercurial talent regardless of formation.
Where would you play Saiz Leon?

He cant play Enganche imo, that requires a player with exceptional vision and passing, Saiz hasnt got that.

Wide? He doesnt like playing wide, he would get frustrated and stroppy. Would be constantly coming inside, drive Bielsa mad.

Vieira over Forshaw imo, Bielsa loves tough tackling midfielders, Simeone, Redondo, Almeyda, Vidal etc.

Agree we need a number of players though :)
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 pm Agree with Faaip in where Ayling plays, with perhaps Coyle behind him. Ayling imo is not good enough defensively for the system, offensive side to his game is his strongest point.
Indeed Ges :tup:

Ayling is terrific as a wing back, he is no CB by any stretch of the imagination
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 pm He cant play Enganche imo, that requires a player with exceptional vision and passing, Saiz hasnt got that
Has Alioski & Roofe got the pace & intelligence to play wide
Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 pm Vieira over Forshaw imo, Bielsa loves tough tackling midfielders, Simeone, Redondo, Almeyda, Vidal etc
Tough tackling, saw little of that from the Vieira/Phillips combo last season, rarely won 50/50 balls, gave the ball away far too often, they couldn't skin a rice pudding between them. You quoted some top players in your post Cjay, our current lot wouldn't have a clue !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 pm Has Alioski & Roofe got the pace & intelligence to play wide

Tough tackling, saw little of that from the Vieira/Phillips combo last season, rarely won 50/50 balls, gave the ball away far too often, they couldn't skin a rice pudding between them. You quoted some top players in your post Cjay, our current lot wouldn't have a clue !
We will agree to disagree on Alioski, the one thing we must agree on is his workrate which is crucial to any Bielsa team.

Think your frustration is coming through Leon, understand that, but you yourself praised Vieira like we all did on multiple occasions. Doenst turn 20 till July, the right coach (maybe Bielsa ) and Ronnie can go far.

One of the few we have i have faith in.
Signed

King Cjay

NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm We will agree to disagree on Alioski, the one thing we must agree on is his workrate which is crucial to any Bielsa team.

Think your frustration is coming through Leon, understand that, but you yourself praised Vieira like we all did on multiple occasions. Doenst turn 20 till July, the right coach (maybe Bielsa ) and Ronnie can go far.

I think we've got quite a few players who could surprise people under the right coach and with a few quality additions around them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm We will agree to disagree on Alioski, the one thing we must agree on is his workrate which is crucial to any Bielsa team.

Yes a decent coach may benefit Vieira's progress, I really hope so as he has the potential to become very good. I've seen so many young players impress in their formative years only to witness their career go backwards CJay
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I think the likes of Forshaw, Klich and Rey would fit in well with Bielsa's style. Phillips and Vieira have to improve their passing and ball retention. O'Kane and Murphy as far away from the club as possible.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm I think we've got quite a few players who could surprise people under the right coach and with a few quality additions around them.
Can but hope.

One things for sure, Bielsa wont settle for dross signings, he will walk.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm Yes a decent coach may benefit Vieira's progress, I really hope so as he has the potential to become very good. I've seen so many young players impress in their formative years only to witness their career go backwards CJay
Yeah true.

Ive seen a few myself so you must have seen tons lol.

But, i count Vieira up there with Cook, Delph etc (potentially)

Never thought that about Mowatt, Phillips and co.
Signed

King Cjay

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Go home you silly Scotsman, or I will twist your red nose-
Bielsa gives Fergie a footballing lesson.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa twists Fergie's nose a second time.
BrewerLeeds
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BrewerLeeds »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm I think the likes of Forshaw, Klich and Rey would fit in well with Bielsa's style. Phillips and Vieira have to improve their passing and ball retention. O'Kane and Murphy as far away from the club as possible.
Have to admit I agree with you on that SG90. I liked Murphy before he joined however he hasnt developed anyway near to where he should've. O'Kane and his actual role in midfield beyond another body still perplexs me...