2018 WORLD CUP FINAL - FRANCE v CROATIA

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 2018 WORLD CUP - BELGIUM v ENGLAND on Saturday

Post by Norm »

2-0 Hazard
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Deserved goal for Hazard.....world class

That's how to put the ball in the net England
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:37 pmGetting closer
All huff & puff mate
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Been a decent game second half.

Belgium and France best two sides in this tournament for me so not surprised Belgium winning fairly easily. Loftus-Cheek has looked good. Shame our finishing, from open play, has been poor all tournament.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

That goal changed the whole course of the game - Belgium's confidence back, nonchalant now.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 pm All huff & puff mate

Better than that, give em some credit.
A far less experienced team, lifted their game against possibly the best footballing team in the world atm and haven't been embarrassed, just missed that bit of qualiry in the box.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 pm Been a decent game second half.

Belgium and France best two sides in this tournament for me so not surprised Belgium winning fairly easily. Loftus-Cheek has looked good. Shame our finishing, from open play, has been poor all tournament.
Agree with all that.

Shame because of the way the draw panned out Belgium didn't make it to the Final v France
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Oh well, 3rd place is nowhere, but it would have been nice to beat Belgium.
Roll on the Euros.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:
Agree with all that.

Shame because of the way the draw panned out Belgium didn't make it to the Final v France
Disagree Leon, Belgium themselves weren't good enough when it counted whilst Croatia were - they deserve the chance to put a new name on the list of World Cup winners.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Lacklustre, insipid, boring, clueless performance with no energy or creativness.
Loftus -Cheek and Dier put themselves about but Kane was anonymous. Stirling
an ephemeral drifting shadow of a headless chicken. Stones and McGuire dribbling
over the half way line and getting robbed of the ball, and you know what that leads
to... No defenders to deal with dangerous Belgium counter attacks.

THey should be locked in the tower of London and left to rot. Absolute disgrace.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm Oh well, 3rd place is nowhere, but it would have been nice to beat Belgium.
Roll on the Euros.
Unless we find some world class players from god knows where from we'll struggle to make the quarter-finals in the Euro's
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm Lacklustre, insipid, boring, clueless performance with no energy or creativness.
an ephemeral drifting shadow of a headless chicken. Stones and McGuire dribbling
over the half way line and getting robbed of the ball, and you know what that leads

THey should be locked in the tower of London and left to rot. Absolute disgrace.
England remind me of watching Leeds :( I rarely think we're gonna win when play against the better sides !
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote: ↑

Unless we find some world class players from god knows where we'll struggle to make the quarter-finals in the Euro's
I think we've got a couple in the making Leon. Lingard when he keeps his head screwed on, Loftus-Cheek looks special, McGuire's a force. It's a young team still looking experimental but a couple of years experience, in the Euro qualifiers, of them all playing together, may make a decent team. I so wish we had somebody like Hazard or Modric but we'll just have to wait.
I hope Kane comes good too - he's OK from set pieces but open goals at this level seem to be a bit of a problem so far.

Fingers crossed.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 pm I think we've got a couple in the making Leon. Lingard when he keeps his head screwed on, Loftus-Cheek looks special, McGuire's a force. It's a young team still looking experimental but a couple of years experience, in the Euro qualifiers, of them all playing together, may make a decent team. I so wish we had somebody like Hazard or Modric but we'll just have to wait.
I hope Kane comes good too - he's OK from set pieces but open goals at this level seem to be a bit of a problem so far.

Fingers crossed.
:tup: Never was about this one.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm Lacklustre, insipid, boring, clueless performance with no energy or creativness.

THey should be locked in the tower of London and left to rot. Absolute disgrace

Don't be ridiculous ! There's a world of difference between not playing well and being an "absolute disgrace"

It's not like we lost at home to Costa Rica.

:moggy:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm Don't be ridiculous ! There's a world of difference between not playing well and being an "absolute disgrace"

Or to Trinidad & Tobago, for cryin' out loud.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 pm Or to Trinidad & Tobago, for cryin' out loud.
:) :) :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 pm I think we've got a couple in the making Leon. Lingard when he keeps his head screwed on, Loftus-Cheek looks special, McGuire's a force. It's a young team still looking experimental but a couple of years experience, in the Euro qualifiers, of them all playing together, may make a decent team. I so wish we had somebody like Hazard or Modric but we'll just have to wait.

Fingers crossed.
Impressed with Lotus-Cheek & Maguire, first good look at both of them for me, also Mr Pickwick between the sticks has been excellent, all three have surprised me Norm.
Without a Modric/Hazard/etc in our team sadly we'll never be good enough to win World/Euro tournaments, every team needs two or three world class players in their squad for the less talented to feed off !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Belgium in a different class, should have been 4-0 imo. Belgium scored then sat back and countered making us look better than we were tbh and I don't recall a clear cut chance for us...couple of Kane miss by a yard lunges and the keeper had little to do whereas ours kept the score respectable...Think the midfield needs a re think, maybe a new striker but defence shows promise though our best defender Kyle Walker will be 32 next world cup.

We also need to remember even if we do improve so will everyone else and this was probably the best chance we'll get for another few tournaments without having to beat a Brazil/Argentina/Spain/France/Holland/Italy/Germany in a 2nd round or quarters.

For me this team is a fair way behind that 90 team, behind the Sherringham and Shearer team and also a fair way behind the Scholes/Neville/Beckham/Gerrard/Lampard line ups that struggle to progress to far

Will we progress with age? no idea tbh. Maybe.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm Don't be ridiculous ! There's a world of difference between not playing well and being an "absolute disgrace"

My dear friend if you applaud a performance like that, then you do not have very high expections
about the beautiful game. It was dire.