Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Haighy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Haighy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 am

Mmmmhh.
Jury's out on this one.
Will he get the financial backing?

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:15 am

joelufc20 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:57 am
Wow I'm so excited about this. I've never we been excited about a new manager since well George Graham. After the shitty season we have had I'd just about given up. Faith restored but only if we bring in quality players instead of the usual journeymen and donkies I'm back
That's the key, I don't think the board have any options not to back him as he'll be off if they don't give him what is required, then we'd be back to square one. I'm surprised so many fans turned up to watch that dirge last season, good to hear you haven't totally given up on LUFC Joe

Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 am

Poor Jerry what’s his name has no chance of joining now, that’s got to be a positive

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Richard wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 am
Poor Jerry what’s his name has no chance of joining now, that’s got to be a positive
Orta will be disappointed :-D

Bally
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bally » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am

No idea if this will be a good appointment or not just hope he's given time and the fans don't start to get on his back if they don't win in 4 or 5 games,its time for some stability.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:28 am

Bally wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am
No idea if this will be a good appointment or not just hope he's given time and the fans don't start to get on his back if they don't win in 4 or 5 games,its time for some stability.
Totally agree Bally, they've gone all out to get him, whether it will work out we don't know but they must firmly believe in him, so he needs to be given time, it's ridiculous the amount of managers we get through.

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa, speaking via translator: "I had to convince myself (about the job). No-one had to convince me. I was convinced by the strength of Leeds United as a club and an institution, and in a sporting sense." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on his tactics in the Championship: "We have an obligation as a managers to put into place what we believe is right. We can't expect people to follow us if we don't believe it ourselves." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "The fans want the protagonist out there on the pitch, rather than just talking about what might happen. I want people to take the game by the scruff of the neck and spend more time in possession of the ball." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on transfers: "For the moment we're not intending to bring too many new faces in. From my point of view the club have got plenty of players I feel should remain here, who we should keep." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on transfers: "In terms of the process, I get names from Victor Orta, I then give my opinion on them. If we can arrive at an agreement, that's when the process starts."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on promotion this season: "It's imprudent to promise something you can't be totally certain of. But at the same time it would be impossible not to be dreaming about that. What drives you is having that hope, desire and belief." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on what would constitute success this season: "There are many ways to ask questions which you cannot answer. I much prefer to do things by demonstrating, rather than trying to predict."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on which players won't be staying: "We're trying to keep players who we can promise plenty of game time. I've seen all 51 games that Leeds United played last season so I've got opinions in my head about all the players - but I've not had that day-to-day contact with them."

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "The club have got 15 players more than they need. And we still have four or five positions on the field where we need to strengthen."

BEST BIT SO FAR

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he doesn't want the squad to be "top heavy", with too many players who aren't featuring regularly. "There might be departures so the numbers aren't excessive. Anybody leaving would be more to do with me wanting a lean squad."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

"But obviously I can't ignore the fact that there are 46 games in this competition (the Championship). We've got one or two youngsters coming through who will be useful in that respect but we might need to add some experienced faces."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "We go round the houses in our answers to avoid naming names!" #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Dead serious is Bielsa, and making no eye contact with anyone, but slipping little quips in here and there.

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on praise from Guardiola: "I don't like false modesty. Guardiola is the best manager in the world and his ideas have been created by he himself. In any of his teams, I've never seen any traits of my style."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

in short, taking no credit for Guardiola's managerial career or Pochettino's.

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on budgets: "I spoken at length about what we need and what our aims are. We all agreed that our needs weren't to be exaggerated. We could find solutions." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa said the signing of his contract took a while because he's "very meticulous and careful in these processes." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Journalist here from Bilbao, asking how Bielsa will cope with the language barrier: "I'm conscious of the importance of getting the written or spoken word across. The biggest factor that gets players going is emotion. But there are other ways of getting things across." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

says he managed to get his point across in every country he worked in and "found out the essence of what motivates players." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa asked about his time at Lille: "Marseille was an unforgettable memory for me. On a football front, Lille has been the saddest moment of my career as a manager."
Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on the start to next season: "You never think about easy games as a manager. We're naturally optimistic most of the time. Having my first game at home is something to be excited about."

hil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "I know everything that a foreign person could possibly know about Leeds United." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on last season's failings: "I don't like to evaluate seasons which I didn't take part in. I don't think it's fair to judge managers or players if you haven't been involved. I'd rather excuse myself from that reply, rather than give an empty answer.

hil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he sees video analysis as "invaluable and indispensable". Says he enjoyed watching Leeds' 51 games. "I see it as a professional obligation to look into things in that detail. I don't want you to think I've looked into them for the sake of it." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa joking about the club's confidence in him: "If it goes well here it will be down to me. If it goes badly, it will be down to them." #luf

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he has no plans to make the players sleep at Thorp Arch. "But I'll take it as a suggestion." #lufc

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Bielsa's had a little look at his watch. Asks the translator whether he's worn out. Not yet, and we're carrying on....

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on taking English lessons: "I've got lots to thank my mother for but she sent me to English lessons for 15 years as a kid, hoping that today I'd be conducting this in English. I'm going to try (and learn) but I said the same in France and didn't manage it."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on the Championship: "I've heard that it's supposed to be the sixth or seventh best league in the world. The stadiums here are all great. I've got a flavour for it and a real desire to get going." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on his El Loco nickname: "I've got a pre-prepared answer. I was given this nickname because my style of replies in press conferences is quite different. I don't know if you believe that." #lufc

Bielsa on pre-season: "First and foremost is trying to communicate a style, a way of playing. That's especially what it's about." #lufc

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa saying this press conference is too much about him. Onto the final question, after 1hr and 20 mins....

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Stupid question to finish.

hil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa asked, by the man from Bilbao, whether he prefers Don Revie or Brian Clough. "I prefer beautiful football rather than pragmatic football." Take from that what you will. #lufc

Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I watched most of that and he came across, as he is, a very shrewd experienced pro who wasn't going to give anything juicy away. It's very evident that he knows he's stuff and he has more than done he's homework on the club.

Judging by what was said about the squad being too heavy numbers wise, it looks like there is going to be a considerable clear out of the fringe players and rightly so - we all know - many of these players, likes of Sakho, Grot, Cbicky, Antonnson, etc etc are just nowhere near good enough to sustain a promotion push.

Key then will be the ones coming in have to proven quality at this level or equivalent and be capable of hitting the ground running.

Fasten your belts folks, this is going to be a hell of a ride coming up me thinks.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Haven’t actually listened to the full interview but from the transcript he comes across as a shrewd and intelligent fella, no football cliches and no milking the praise from Guardiola and Poch - quite the opposite in fact. I can see the squad really buying in to this guy and him lifting the level of the whole team, very early days but some cause for optimism from what I read.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Actions no words - Bielsa's mantra

Isn't somewhat ironic to have a mantra about actions rather than words? :twisted: :twisted:
We're going up like there is no gravity!

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Enjoyed the interview.

Warmed to Bielsa a lot.

Very impressed with him distancing himself from Pep and Poch, so many managers would have milked that praise, he was humble and modest.

He wants 4 or 5 positions improved, which is about what most of us said.

He recognises that we have a lot of players that arent of the required quality.

He will look to use the young lads.

He wants to keep the ball on the deck, no hoofing, pleasing style of football, that will help the youth players immensely.

And he stopped short of promising the earth.

Very good interview from a clearly very intelligent and meticulous man.

God bless him for watching al ofl our games from last season, 3 days of his life he wont get back.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 am

Excellent press conference with Bielsa coming across extremely well and being able to make his points despite the need of the interpreter. He will hopefully be able to hit the ground running and with him having watched all the videos he will have seen how the team came unstuck and how TC's tactics had initial success but then ran into problems with the team not being able to execute TC's game plan when teams got physical against us. As TC's way of playing was to some degree similar to Bielsa's it will hopefully stop Bielsa falling into the same traps and give him chance to come up with potential solutions in advance of things going wrong.
Senor El Weasel

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Marcelo pictured at training today working with the players including.
Pascal Struijk
Hugo Diaz
Jack Clarke
Ryan Edmondson
Oriol Rey.

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm
Marcelo pictured at training today working with the players including.
Pascal Struijk
Hugo Diaz
Jack Clarke
Ryan Edmondson
Oriol Rey.
Thanks for all the updates Cjay :)