The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 15 June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 15 June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 am This should be a massive boost for season ticket sales. It's a statement of intent and whatever my personal thought are regarding the likelihood of success, it's the first statement of intent for many many years
Morning Faaip, I can imagine the phones are lighting up in the sales office....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 am This should be a massive boost for season ticket sales. It's a statement of intent and whatever my personal thought are regarding the likelihood of success, it's the first statement of intent for many many years
Reckon so faaip. Sky sports have just been interviewing some fans at Elland Road. All seemed very excited by the appointment, some had gone to buy 'season tickets'
(Morning all :) )
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 am Evening Harry, it should be now.

Bielsa has agreed a 2 year deal with an option for a third.

All done and dusted pal.
Yeah, confined now. Come on Bielsa, lead us to glory
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am Good Morning Everyone

At 00.15 this morning, the news that we have all been waiting for finally arrived!

Marcelo Bielsa has agreed to become Leeds Utd next Manager.

He has accepted the ER hotseat, and will be earning 2m per year plus bonuses!

He will fly to England a week today, ready to take charge of training on the players first day back.

At this stage there are more questions than answers:-

i) We assume its a one years contact, in case things go horribly wrong!
give him as long as it takes you cant keep sacking managers

ii) We don't know who the backroom staff are going to be, or how long it will take to get their visa's
pretty sure he will have a backroom team around him

iii) What becomes of Orta?
close the door on the way out

iv) How much control will Bielsa have?
100%

v) What will the budget be?
no budget , let him target the players he requires within reason

Plenty of questions, very few answers, but one thing for sure, put your seatbelts on folks, its going to be a rocky ride!!!!

Who is Leeds top priority in the transfer window?

Hernandez

Vrdra

Bartley

Gunn

Messi (just kidding?
none of the above , he will have his own style of player he requires

I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 am Reckon so faaip. Sky sports have just been interviewing some fans at Elland Road. All seemed very excited by the appointment, some had gone to buy 'season tickets'
(Morning all :) )
Afternoon WS, they're not the only ones....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

beer belly bert wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Evening Bert.

We have news that can be confirmed.

Bielsa has his team, and Leeds are busy ensuring work permits are in place shortly.

As I conformed earlier, Bielsa has signed a 2 year year worth 2m a year, with an option for a third year.

The people in the know have been singing Orta's praises. It was Orta's connections that got Bielsa.

No incomings or outgoings (apart from Antonssen and Cibicki) without Bielsa's say so.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orta has been gold for us so far ....two three more players and we're nearly there
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Phil Hay‏@PhilHayYEP
No announcement of Marcelo Bielsa's backroom staff yet but he'll have some old allies around him - Pablo Quiroga, Diego Reyes, Diego Flores, Salim Lamrani, people like that.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:38 pm Orta has been gold for us so far ....two three more players and we're nearly there
Gold ???

Who was outstanding from his signings last season Faaip ?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

OK Leon, I’m going to relate a true story. I will try not to be too wordy or insulting in its telling.
In 1962 a person called Jack Charlton of Leeds United came to Normanton Grammar School to represent Leeds United Football Club. I have no idea why he really came unless it was the club’s idea to recruit more young fans. I was on the cusp of switching from Rugby League to Football anyway because I was fed up with RL’s stupid ‘Top 4’ play-offs and a couple of young LUFC fans were talking to me, saying ‘Sir’ JC was here but he was really useless. Jack gave a standard presentation and an exhortation to all the students that it would be in our interest to go and watch his team play.
In 1963 I started work at Wakefield Kirkgate railway station and my second sub-posting there was to the Parcels Office, which was managed by one Cyril Smith, who was a devoted Leeds United fan.
One day he invited me to go watch a Leeds home game and met me at Leeds City station at about 12 o’clock. We travelled on the bus to Elland Road and had 2 or 3 pints with others before entering the ground.
That’s when I found out 2 fundamental things –
1) I have an eight-hour bladder – when we were watching the game, people would be in and out, going for a pee when I didn’t need to.
2) I remembered those comments from my previous school friends about how useless Jack Charlton was, and proceeded to watch an extremely proficient JC mopping up every attack. Because, however, he didn’t do exactly what the baying crowd were exhorting him to do, he was vilified by some “rent-a-gobs” around me who proclaimed him useless, despite the fact that he kept a clean sheet and looked bloody efficient to me - 2.5 years later he was an England hero, so ‘Rent-a-gobs’ 0-1 ‘reality’.
That’s when I realized that loudmouths aren’t necessarily telling the truth but merely shouting their skewed opinions. I do believe you are part of that category. Because you watch every game it doesn’t mean you think the same thing as others watching the same game, and it doesn’t qualify you to say what the truth about the game is. You often see what you think you see because of your prejudices.
Same thing about players
No offence
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Norm wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am OK Leon, I’m going to relate a true story. I will try not to be too wordy or insulting in its telling.
In 1962 a person called Jack Charlton of Leeds United came to Normanton Grammar School to represent Leeds United Football Club. I have no idea why he really came unless it was the club’s idea to recruit more young fans. I was on the cusp of switching from Rugby League to Football anyway because I was fed up with RL’s stupid ‘Top 4’ play-offs and a couple of young LUFC fans were talking to me, saying ‘Sir’ JC was here but he was really useless. Jack gave a standard presentation and an exhortation to all the students that it would be in our interest to go and watch his team play.
In 1963 I started work at Wakefield Kirkgate railway station and my second sub-posting there was to the Parcels Office, which was managed by one Cyril Smith, who was a devoted Leeds United fan.
One day he invited me to go watch a Leeds home game and met me at Leeds City station at about 12 o’clock. We travelled on the bus to Elland Road and had 2 or 3 pints with others before entering the ground.
1) I have an eight-hour bladder – when we were watching the game, people would be in and out, going for a pee when I didn’t need to.
2) I remembered those comments from my previous school friends about how useless Jack Charlton was, and proceeded to watch an extremely proficient JC mopping up every attack. Because, however, he didn’t do exactly what the baying crowd were exhorting him to do, he was vilified by some “rent-a-gobs” around me who proclaimed him useless, despite the fact that he kept a clean sheet and looked bloody efficient to me - 2.5 years later he was an England hero, so ‘Rent-a-gobs’ 0-1 ‘reality’.
That’s when I realized that loudmouths aren’t necessarily telling the truth but merely shouting their skewed opinions. I do believe you are part of that category. Because you watch every game it doesn’t mean you think the same thing as others watching the same game, and it doesn’t qualify you to say what the truth about the game is. You often see what you think you see because of your prejudices.
Same thing about players
No offence
My take on Orta and his signings and if they have improved us or not... The proper way to judge a squad is by where it finishes at the end of a season, the table doesn’t lie and a season usually averages itself out.

Where did we finish the season before Orta joined, how far away we’re we from promotion. Where did we finish our first season with the Orta signings?

My biggest complaint with Orta was his scattergun approach, no real thought about what we needed, no proper consultation with the coach. The first time he really went out and signed us positions we were short in he signed us a crocked striker and an awful LB he did zilch to help us restart the engine in January and he also got us PH

The best thing about Bielsa joining is no more scattergun, proper consultation, working in tandem, no more pathetic set piece coach style appointments, if Orta does what he did last season this time around, Bielsa will walk and fans will call for Ortas head more than they have ever screamed for any manager.

This coming season is the last throw of the dice for Rads I feel, I’m pretty sure he is putting it all on the line, failure and I think we’ll see him sell up to the Yanks.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am OK Leon, I’m going to relate a true story. I will try not to be too wordy or insulting in its telling.
Same thing about players
No offence
Here we go again, your monthly pop at me Norm.

I assume you are having a go at my last comment 'Who was outstanding from Orta's signings last season'

This is not a skewed opinion, it is a question I put forward.....I'm still waiting for an answer

Yes I have strong opinions but I'm not a loudmouth, if you knew me personally you'd soon realise I'm far from being a rent-a-gob

Look forward to your next rant :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Missing the point 64, Orta has developed what looks to be an exceptional young group of players, and we're told instrumental in getting Beisla here. ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY and we've had Rads and Orta for one season. That's not enough time to get even close to building a football team.

I'd expect, unless we get real lucky and even with 10 new players costing 10 mill each, that it's going to take 2 seasons at least to put together the tactic, partnership, understanding and LUCK because that absolutely plays a part, to make a true promotion push. That is stay top 2/3 for most of the season and dominate not hover around 6th/7th/8th and hope to get lucky.

You're a form guy 64, if the form is good you're happy (See Saiz whom right up to the new year you had as a superstar here and were afraid he'd get poached and be gone if we didn't get promotion, you seem to have gone 180 on him now. He's still the same player) If the form is bad they're absolute rubbish and have to go...

I'm a class guy, I know a good footballer when I see one and that never goes away. Positional rotation, those around him, luck, fitness all conspire to affect form.

I think what Norm is saying is it's always been the case that good players got rubbished even in the era of "Don" ..Who really should have had more trophies than he got in the end. I don't think there was anything particularly disparaging in his post

Respect you mate but we'll very seldom agree when it comes to LUFC. At least atm.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 am Missing the point 64, Orta has developed what looks to be an exceptional young group of players, and we're told instrumental in getting Beisla here. ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY and we've had Rads and Orta for one season. That's not enough time to get even close to building a football team.

I'd expect, unless we get real lucky and even with 10 new players costing 10 mill each, that it's going to take 2 seasons at least to put together the tactic, partnership, understanding and LUCK because that absolutely plays a part, to make a true promotion push. That is stay top 2/3 for most of the season and dominate not hover around 6th/7th/8th and hope to get lucky.

You're a form guy 64, if the form is good you're happy (See Saiz whom right up to the new year you had as a superstar here and were afraid he'd get poached and be gone if we didn't get promotion, you seem to have gone 180 on him now. He's still the same player) If the form is bad they're absolute rubbish and have to go...

I'm a class guy, I know a good footballer when I see one and that never goes away. Positional rotation, those around him, luck, fitness all conspire to affect form.

I think what Norm is saying is it's always been the case that good players got rubbished even in the era of "Don" ..Who really should have had more trophies than he got in the end. I don't think there was anything particularly disparaging in his post

Respect you mate but we'll very seldom agree when it comes to LUFC. At least atm.
Good assessment Faaip :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thank you Faaip.

Leon, I did say 'no offence', even if it did sound insincere to you. I'm not 'having a monthly pop' so much as finding myself severely disillusioned with your tenure as a Mod. It seems my vote for you was misguided.
Your opinions are best described as capricious, because you switch opinions so quickly. Faaip is correct in remembering your past vs present opinions. One minute they are superstars, the next minute they are crap, and overall what you are effectively saying is that all of last summers signings are rubbish, which is patent nonsense. That was behind my comments and I feel I have a right to be heard without you whining about me having a go at you. You are a reckless trasher of reputations and I feel sure you would be offended if someone had a go at you in your professional life with the same insults and lack of respect.

OK, I've said my piece, end of.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:15 am Thank you Faaip.

Leon, I did say 'no offence', even if it did sound insincere to you. I'm not 'having a monthly pop' so much as finding myself severely disillusioned with your tenure as a Mod. It seems my vote for you was misguided.
Your opinions are best described as capricious, because you switch opinions so quickly. Faaip is correct in remembering your past vs present opinions. One minute they are superstars, the next minute they are crap, and overall what you are effectively saying is that all of last summers signings are rubbish, which is patent nonsense. That was behind my comments and I feel I have a right to be heard without you whining about me having a go at you. You are a reckless trasher of reputations and I feel sure you would be offended if someone had a go at you in your professional life with the same insults and lack of respect.

OK, I've said my piece, end of.
Firstly I never hailed our new signings as superstars, I'll admit to the word crap.

I had reservations with our scatter gun signings approach last summer, even so Leeds started the season brightly then it went all pear-shaped eight games in & we never really recovered from that early promising start. By the end of the season only Saiz & Alioski out of our seventeen signings had established a regular place in our First XI.
Yes i did rave about Saiz whom was a breath of fresh air to watch in the first few months of the season, the only attacking player who could get us from box to box in quick-time scoring goals & making assists. My opinion of Samu went down somewhat with his appalling spitting incident at Newport although I was prepared to forgive him for that horrible misdemeanour with the hope our season would turnaround on his return, unfortunately it never did as his early form had gone. I still think there is a good player in there but I'm not totally convinced

Just bumped up my season player ratings from a topic in May (new signings in bold

Only two players achieved a score of 7 or higher

Eleven scored 5 or under

Is it any wonder why we finished 13th in the table ?

3 Wiedwald
3 Lonergan
8 Peacock-Farrell
5 Ayling
4 Berardi
6 Jansson
4 Cooper
4 Pennington
6 Shaughnessy
7 O'Connor
3 Anita
7 Pearce
5 Klich
7 Forshaw
5 Vieira
5 Phillips
4 O'Kane
5 Alioski
8 Hernandez
6 Saiz
6 Dallas
2 Sacko
4 Cibicki
5 Lasogga
6 Roofe
4 Ekuban
3 Grot
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thank you for your mod vote, sorry I have disappointed you Norm
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Leon, I apologise for the 'Mod' remark. I really shouldn't have said that. I know you work hard but you really do trash a lot of our players (and are very insulting at that) for no apparent reason other than that you can.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Norm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:08 pm Leon, I apologise for the 'Mod' remark. I really shouldn't have said that. I know you work hard but you really do trash a lot of our players (and are very insulting at that) for no apparent reason other than that you can.
As can anyone Norm, mod or not it makes no difference. Members all have opinions, some strong ones, and it is their right to express them without being insulting to other members. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally i dont see a problem with saying "player a is crap".

If a players not good enough then there not good enough.

Although Liam Cooper (who is crap) tweeted a welcome to Bielsa, got some ridiculous abuse. That was uncalled for.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom