Transfers. Signings Rumours and Wishes.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Transfers. Signings Rumours and Wishes.

Post by Azkal »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:10 pm Hi Azkal.

I fully admit my knowledge of whats going on in Myanmar is limited.

But 700k people fled there homes, there are 1st hand accounts of soldiers burning down villages, raping and killing men women and children, torture as well.

Not a war zone, war zone implies to opposing sides who have a disagreement, two opposing armies.

What there is is ethnic cleansing according to Amnesty International.

Something that those in charge of Myanmar must know about and likely ordered.

The man who funded our tour made his money because he is close to those same people who are behind what is going on.

While i admit i know little, i find it hard to see justification for us going there under those circumstances.
Hi Mate,

No issues, and not here to be argumentative, just get bored of the anti-AR rants, which are generally not very well thought out, being generally based on individual impulsive and unsubstantiated nonsense.

As originally highlighted, I will not get drawn in to the current situation in Myanmar, it is too emotive, and not something I wish to discuss on a football forum.

Some food for thought;

Is it possible that the, (post) / pre-season Leeds United tour of Myanmar be the reverse of what some have been calling "disgusting", "a debacle"? Is it possible that the Myanmar tour was well thought out, and well intended, and had / has the potential to benefit our club? The majority of countries within the SEA region are football crazy, especially for EPL, and particularly for the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal , Chelsea. Interestingly the former 3 clubs, who's main team colors are red, is aligned with Chinese culture, (large ethnic Chinese origin population, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam), where red has a huge significance due to it being widely believed to represent good fortune. Myanmar had been massively shielded from the outside world for over 40 years, due to a military junta, until recently, the last SEA bastion of potential football marketing. With the collective SEA population believed to be in the region of over 650MM, and Myanmar nearer to the top of the table with over 50MM people, is it not brilliant marketing that AR has focused on Myanmar, with marketing income a huge part of major football clubs income?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Sport has been shown to heal, handled the right way, if only by giving light and anticipated relief from the real or perceived nastiness of everyday life.
The whole Southeast Asian region, since various independent countries were formed from previous colonial assets, could be analogised by reading "1984" and such
Same Africa, same Yugoslavia - this weeks villains are last weeks heroes - the list goes on, with no potential solution in sight, until FUTBOL peers above the ramparts.
Who knows eh?
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Azkalwhite wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm Hi Mate,

No issues, and not here to be argumentative, just get bored of the anti-AR rants, which are generally not very well thought out, being generally based on individual impulsive and unsubstantiated nonsense.

As originally highlighted, I will not get drawn in to the current situation in Myanmar, it is too emotive, and not something I wish to discuss on a football forum.

Some food for thought;

Is it possible that the, (post) / pre-season Leeds United tour of Myanmar be the reverse of what some have been calling "disgusting", "a debacle"? Is it possible that the Myanmar tour was well thought out, and well intended, and had / has the potential to benefit our club? The majority of countries within the SEA region are football crazy, especially for EPL, and particularly for the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal , Chelsea. Interestingly the former 3 clubs, who's main team colors are red, is aligned with Chinese culture, (large ethnic Chinese origin population, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam), where red has a huge significance due to it being widely believed to represent good fortune. Myanmar had been massively shielded from the outside world for over 40 years, due to a military junta, until recently, the last SEA bastion of potential football marketing. With the collective SEA population believed to be in the region of over 650MM, and Myanmar nearer to the top of the table with over 50MM people, is it not brilliant marketing that AR has focused on Myanmar, with marketing income a huge part of major football clubs income?
I think Radz has got a ridiculous amount of stick, if compared to what other owners have done to us, I think he’s genuine, but obviously wants to make money, the only way to do that is go up, but the Club going on that tour, was nothing but a disgrace.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Respect your opinion Dezzy, not necessarily agree though.

A thought;

Would anyone attending the 2022 World Cup hosted by Qatar be disgraceful? ........."Expatriate workers from nations throughout Asia and parts of Africa are routinely subjected to forced labor and, in some instances, prostitution. Most of these people voluntarily migrate to Qatar as low-skilled laborers or domestic servants, but are subsequently subjected to conditions indicative of involuntary servitude. Some of the more common labor rights violations include beatings, withholding of payment, charging workers for benefits which are nominally the responsibility of the Amir, severe restrictions on freedom of movement (such as the confiscation of passports, travel documents, or exit permits), arbitrary detention, threats of legal action, and sexual assault. Many migrant workers arriving for work in Qatar have paid exorbitant fees to recruiters in their home countries – a practice that makes workers highly vulnerable to forced labor once in Qatar.
Like other Persian Gulf nations, Qatar has sponsorship laws, which have been widely criticized as "modern-day slavery."Under the provisions of Qatar's sponsorship law, sponsors have the unilateral power to cancel workers' residency permits, deny workers' ability to change employers, report a worker as "absconded" to police authorities, and deny permission to leave the country. As a result, sponsors may restrict workers' movements and workers may be afraid to report abuses or claim their rights, which contribute to their forced labor situation.
Domestic servants are particularly vulnerable to trafficking since they are isolated inside homes and are not covered under the provisions of the labor law. Qatar is also a destination for women who migrate for legitimate purposes and subsequently become involved in prostitution, but the extent to which these women are subjected to forced prostitution is unknown. Some of these victims may be runaway domestic workers who have fallen prey to forced prostitution by individuals who exploit their illegal status"...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

So Izzy Brown is now a confirmed signing.. anyone want to discuss a signing or am I on the wrong thread?
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yes Weasel indeed mate. Brown for me is a good signing although I only recall him at 'udders . He was a big part of their promotion campaign too. Experienced and hopefully still an exciting young player.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It looks like a very good signing given that Brown has played in the championship, and experienced getting promotion, and also played for Brighton in the Premiership last season - certainly seems a better loan signing than the others in terms of being good enough rather than just potential.

He has been training with Chelsea so isn't coming to us injured just short of match fitness. That is probably not a bad thing as he can train and get used to Bielsa's methods for a few weeks.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Anita to Willem II - season long loan
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"