Transfers. Signings Rumours and Wishes.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Transfers. Signings Rumours and Wishes.

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm I always thought and still do that Radz is a few steps up the rung from our last few owners but I've honestly come to the conclusion not to trust a word he says.
Thing is mate it's blatant lies & I personally can't stand liars, as you imply you can't trust him.

Once again our owners have done their business on the cheap although it's quite conceivable we spent much of our budget on Bielsa which was our most important & imperative appointment of the summer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Problem is the club have promised so much.

We had the infamous Wolves rant.

The promise of an "exciting and well planned summer".

Transfers in june being "well advanced".

"Competitive transfer budget".

All ticket sales and 49ers money for transfers and such.

As it stands we have spent £3million.

That doesnt take loan fees and whatever into account but it hardly makes for an "exciting summer".

Think the club are banking on Bielsa and being able to use him to get quality loans.

If they dont happen then we are in trouble, 1 or 2 injuries and we are down to the bare bones

Jansson, Phillips (who im not convinced by).

They get injured who replaces them?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm I always thought and still do that Radz is a few steps up the rung from our last few owners but I've honestly come to the the conclusion not to trust a word he says.
I think he is a spin merchant.

Means well but isnt ever going to fund anything truly substantial transfer wise.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm I think he is a spin merchant.

Means well but isn't ever going to fund anything truly substantial transfer wise.
I've said the very same since he took over at Leeds, folk on here have had a pop at me because of my opinion, however, this summer has proven my point that Radz is using LUFC as a vehicle for his other businesses. Yes this transfer window is probably the best we've witnessed in a long time but it should have been so much better going by the so-called promises
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meh, show me an absolutely honest owner
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Steptoe
hector

Post by hector »

Albert??
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Father or son - take your pick. :-D
Whoever produced that got it spot on!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hercules
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 amHercules
You're nagging again 64 :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 am You're nagging again 64 :)
Nah :horse: animals are honest & loyal unlike football owners
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Only three weeks of all the made-up on-loan signings on their way to Leeds then we can all go to sleep until January when we are scratching around for players due to injuries, suspensions, fatigue & loss of form

Who predicted Baker, Blackman, Douglas, Harrison & Bamford to sign for Leeds

Douglas was a complete shock

Bamford himself was unaware of a move to ER until just a few days before his signature

The other three no one had heard of :duno:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 am The other three no one had heard of :duno:
People had heard of them - Blackman was on loan at Sheffield United last season, Baker at Boro - Harrison less so, but you only have to read a little about him to realise hes very highly rated. They have just been underwhelming signings to us.

I don't know whether he's done any written interviews, but on 'The Talking Shut' podcast, Kinnear was talking about how they had lined up targets and work their way down the list. It's not just a case of going out and getting them, they have to be available at the right price.

Hernandez was no.1 striker, Vydra no.2, but they both priced themselves out of moves. Bamford was next on the list and when they enquired, he was made available.

Douglas was first choice for LB and as soon as he became available, we got him.

Admitted that the Vieira sale had left us in the lurch with centre mids, but again, it's about finding the right player for the right price (ie less than we sold Ronnie for...).

For me, the sale of Vieira has been the biggest disappointment of the window and is looking more of a misstep now that Forshaw and Dallas are out. I understand their reasoning, but I think a replacement, even if it was a loan, should have been lined up before the deal went through.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am People had heard of them - Blackman was on loan at Sheffield United last season, Baker at Boro - Harrison less so, but you only have to read a little about him to realise hes very highly rated. They have just been underwhelming signings to us.

I don't know whether he's done any written interviews, but on 'The Talking Shut' podcast, Kinnear was talking about how they had lined up targets and work their way down the list. It's not just a case of going out and getting them, they have to be available at the right price.

Hernandez was no.1 striker, Vydra no.2, but they both priced themselves out of moves. Bamford was next on the list and when they enquired, he was made available.

Douglas was first choice for LB and as soon as he became available, we got him.

Admitted that the Vieira sale had left us in the lurch with centre mids, but again, it's about finding the right player for the right price (ie less than we sold Ronnie for...).

For me, the sale of Vieira has been the biggest disappointment of the window and is looking more of a misstep now that Forshaw and Dallas are out. I understand their reasoning, but I think a replacement, even if it was a loan, should have been lined up before the deal went through.
Some great points. I feel our targets were of a better standard than last year where we were going down the unheard of foreign signing route and taking more of a gamble. However like you say better players want more money or have clubs not willing to sell until they have signed their replacements (as in the case of Douglas). We could have signed Jerry from Carpi if we'd have simply wanted another foreign gamble but we went for better and were probably misled/used by agents in the case of Vydra and Hernandez.

Disappointed, like you, about the sale of Vieira but it does make logical sense in that we cannot gamble on potential if our aim is immediate promotion. A striker, such as Bamford, scoring 20+ goals was much more or a priority for us than keeping a midfielder who though undoubtedly talented is far from the finished article and at this stage of his career is less influential on our promotion chances than a striker would be. A lot of people were saying to take the rumoured offers for Saiz but if Saiz rediscovers his form from the early part of last season then he again could be hugely influential if he scores and creates goals. Certainly if any of our players can thrive under Bielsa you would expect it to be Saiz.

It is far too early to judge the loan signings but with them being young they are hopefully not going to cause too much trouble if they aren't immediate starters but they all look, on paper, like they have the ability to do well when they do play - they will also be playing catch-up a bit in terms of learning Bielsa's methods as they joined us after the rest of the players (bar Jannson) had started training and learning.

I think if we had have added a decent centreback then it would have to have been seen as a very good transfer window. However we may be better suited to getting a loan player as they may be of a better quality than the centrebacks available (or available at a price we were willing to pay). However the importance of us keeping Jannson must not be forgotten.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Time will tell whether the squad has enough strength in depth.
Certainly the 18 given the shirt against Stoke looked fairly strong and we have Forshaw to come back.
I personally think MB will add a couple of loan signings to the squad before the end of the month as suggested by AK recently.
There will be some good ones out there if the club are shrewd. Remember Bartley was a loan and look how good and popular he proved to be.
As long as we can get one or two who are good enough to challenge for a first 11 place then I'm all for it.
It will be absolutely pointless bringing in someone to warm the bench all season and pick up the odd league cup game.
We have plenty of promising youngsters to fill that role.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am I think if we had have added a decent centreback then it would have to have been seen as a very good transfer window. However we may be better suited to getting a loan player as they may be of a better quality than the centrebacks available (or available at a price we were willing to pay). However the importance of us keeping Jannson must not be forgotten.
Exactly this. Jansson was our most saleable asset probably, and I suspect there will have been teams interested in him. In other years we would have lost him.

If we are in for Kalas then it'd be a very good CB signing for the Championship.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am People had heard of them - Blackman was on loan at Sheffield United last season, Baker at Boro - Harrison less so, but you only have to read a little about him to realise hes very highly rated. They have just been underwhelming signings to us
Tbh I had seen Blackman play & don't think Baker played in either Boro' game v us so I can't recall Baker. Hopefully both will play a big part this season
Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am I don't know whether he's done any written interviews, but on 'The Talking Shut' podcast, Kinnear was talking about how they had lined up targets and work their way down the list. It's not just a case of going out and getting them, they have to be available at the right price.
Hernandez was no.1 striker, Vydra no.2, but they both priced themselves out of moves. Bamford was next on the list and when they enquired, he was made available
So glad we didn't sign Hernandez or Vydra due to their unbelievable salary demands. What bugged me we seem to be linked with them for so long, obviously impossible to negociate with greedy footballers such as those two, so move on quickly & look for a more reasonable option as we did in the end by signing Bamford who is possibly a better footballer imo!
Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am Douglas was first choice for LB and as soon as he became available, we got him
Douglas is probably the bargain of the whole transfer window for me!
Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am For me, the sale of Vieira has been the biggest disappointment of the window and is looking more of a misstep now that Forshaw and Dallas are out. I understand their reasoning, but I think a replacement, even if it was a loan, should have been lined up before the deal went through.
The arrival of Klich from his loan period plus his pre-season form & also Forshaw at Bielsa's disposal probably sealed Vieira's fate. Losing Forshaw who is very injury prone is a massive blow & selling RV has somewhat back-fired on us
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am I think if we had have added a decent centreback then it would have to have been seen as a very good transfer window. However we may be better suited to getting a loan player as they may be of a better quality than the centrebacks available (or available at a price we were willing to pay). However the importance of us keeping Jannson must not be forgotten.
Agree Weasel, we all were hoping for a CB, a loan-signing is now a likely option
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 am There will be some good ones out there if the club are shrewd. Remember Bartley was a loan and look how good and popular he proved to be.
As was Pontus
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am Exactly this. Jansson was our most saleable asset probably, and I suspect there will have been teams interested in him. In other years we would have lost him
Without any doubt Tom