WORLD CUP progress

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

WORLD CUP progress

Post by Norm »

So Germany lose and Argentina/Brazil draw!

Exciting tournament so far.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Re: WORLD CUP progress

Post by liggy »

Apart from being £200 down backing Ger/Arg/Brazil... Its been great :roll:

Anyhoos Mexico beating the Germs worra shame :rol:

Spain v Ronaldo best opening game I've ever seen Norm
When England go out its always Brazil for me..

Even got a dodgy Brazil top from primark.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Ps

The only time I ever heard my gran swear in her 93 years"Germans rotting SODS"

Mind me grandad said square heed bastards more than once :duno:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 am So Germany lose and Argentina/Brazil draw!

Exciting tournament so far.

Often the best time to play the favourites is the first game but rarely Germany, open a tournament as i can remember, no clear favourite so far.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 pm Often the best time to play the favourites is the first game but rarely Germany, open a tournament as i can remember, no clear favourite so far.
No there isn't a clear favourite Ges although I think the two most impressive teams we've seen came from the best game of the tournament Spain & Portugal

France, Brazil, Germany & Argentina have all been disappointing imo !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 am Apart from being £200 down backing Ger/Arg/Brazil... Its been great :roll:

Anyhoos Mexico beating the Germs worra shame :rol:

Spain v Ronaldo best opening game I've ever seen Norm
When England go out its always Brazil for me..

Even got a dodgy Brazil top from primark.
Have you been on your hols Liggy
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Mind you, a reasonably good opener for England - Harry Kane on form.
Sorry about your bet liggy.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:35 pm Have you been on your hols Liggy
Sorry mog for missing the music out
Can't really go into it but we will return.....Keep a had ;-)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Argentina almost bow out of WC18. Messi is a brilliant, skilful player, but he doesn't seem to have, at international level, the wherewithal to take a game by the scruff of the neck and win a game for his country, like Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele, Puskas or Cruyff. I'm sorry to say this, but in my honest opinion he is not the best player in the world because he cannot muster up that extra dimension to his game. If anyone gets the chance to watch Maradona in 1986 you'll get the point - at times he seems to be the only player on the pitch, forcing the win by his sheer willpower and intense effort. Ronaldo, against Spain - the same thing. Hell, I don't even like Ronaldo but kudos to his effort and will. That final goal against Spain was magic.
In fairness, the manager screwed up when he took Aguero off, so Messi was left a bit in limbo, but he just seems to wilt, whereas Maradona found an extra dimension and made sure of the win. There truly needs to be an international component for a person to be considered the best in the world and he doesn't have it (yet anyway) - just my opinion for what it's worth.
That said, I'd rather learn Spanish to be able to have a conversation and a pint with Lionel than just about any other footballer - I like him and his humanity immensely.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 am Argentina almost bow out of WC18. Messi is a brilliant, skilful player, but he doesn't seem to have, at international level, the wherewithal to take a game by the scruff of the neck and win a game for his country, like Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele, Puskas or Cruyff. I'm sorry to say this, but in my honest opinion he is not the best player in the world because he cannot muster up that extra dimension to his game. If anyone gets the chance to watch Maradona in 1986 you'll get the point - at times he seems to be the only player on the pitch, forcing the win by his sheer willpower and intense effort. Ronaldo, against Spain - the same thing. Hell, I don't even like Ronaldo but kudos to his effort and will. That final goal against Spain was magic.
In fairness, the manager screwed up when he took Aguero off, so Messi was left a bit in limbo, but he just seems to wilt, whereas Maradona found an extra dimension and made sure of the win. There truly needs to be an international component for a person to be considered the best in the world and he doesn't have it (yet anyway) - just my opinion for what it's worth.
Watching the game last night, the same thoughts came to mind Norm.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

Watching the game last night, the same thoughts came to mind Norm.
It's such a bloody shame Ges - the man's a genius but he can't seem to make it at international level.
To give the man his due, he resigned from the Argentine team but came back anyway.
There can be no greater demonstration of his wish to help his country but he just doesn't have the fierceness to take that final step.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:26 am It's such a bloody shame Ges - the man's a genius but he can't seem to make it at international level.
To give the man his due, he resigned from the Argentine team but came back anyway.
There can be no greater demonstration of his wish to help his country but he just doesn't have the fierceness to take that final step.

It looked a half hearted performance, frustrated with what was around him, which shouldn't be the case with some of the players they have.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 am Argentina almost bow out of WC18. Messi is a brilliant, skilful player, but he doesn't seem to have, at international level, the wherewithal to take a game by the scruff of the neck and win a game for his country, like Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele, Puskas or Cruyff. I'm sorry to say this, but in my honest opinion he is not the best player in the world because he cannot muster up that extra dimension to his game. If anyone gets the chance to watch Maradona in 1986 you'll get the point - at times he seems to be the only player on the pitch, forcing the win by his sheer willpower and intense effort. Ronaldo, against Spain - the same thing. Hell, I don't even like Ronaldo but kudos to his effort and will. That final goal against Spain was magic.
That said, I'd rather learn Spanish to be able to have a conversation and a pint with Lionel than just about any other footballer - I like him and his humanity immensely.
Couldn't agree more Norm :tup:

Add Gerd Muller to your list who won WC/Euro tournaments for their countries something that has eluded Messi in his career. Muller was unbelievably prolific for the Germans in the 60's/70's. Brilliant as Messi is I still think he is overrated in comparison to the other world greats
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Add Gerd Muller to your list who win WC/Euro tournaments for their countries something that has eluded Messi in his career. Muller was unbelievably prolific for the Germans in the 60's/70's. Brilliant as Messi is I still think he is overrated in comparison to the other world greats
True about Gerd Muller Leon - an unbelievable thorn in the side of every other country and team, especially against us in 1975.
Thighs like tree trunks and could not be knocked off the ball.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1975?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

WACCOE
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ahh understood, was thinking International not club level
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:04 pm True about Gerd Muller Leon - an unbelievable thorn in the side of every other country and team, especially against us in 1975.
Thighs like tree trunks and could not be knocked off the ball.
Just googled, Muller scored 68 goals in 62 matches between 1966 & 1974 for West Germany

Phenomenal record !
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

England 6-1.
Satisfactory I'd say.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

I turned the TV off after the 2nd goal...hate one sided matches....tbh I don't mind England... it's the commentators that do my head in.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......