English Player Values

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

English Player Values

Post by Cjay »

Why is it that English clubs put such ludicrous valuations on there English players?

Kyle Walker- A very good full back, but £50million pounds?

Jordan Pickford- A decent goalkeeper, had one ok season at Sunderland relatively speaking, £30million pounds?

Danny Drinkwater- Had that 1 great season at Leicester, but N'Golo Kante had a better one, Chelsea paid £35million for Drinkwater, £3mil more then for Kante?

Going further back.
£30million for Luke Shaw, £35mil for Andy Carroll.

Understand there is inflation, player values go up etc but thats over £160million on 5 players who i dont think are truly world class.

And its continuing now this summer.

Justin Kluivert- 19 year old dutch winger, 2nd season in the Ajax 1st team, 10 goals and 5 assists, a full international for Holland, just moved to Roma for about £17million.

Diogo Jota- We all know what he did for Wolves last season, 18 goals, inspired them to promotion, season before he got 9 goals for Porto, Wolves paying about £15mil for the 21 year old.

2 players who have had good seasons and went for fairly reasonable fees.

Now lets look at some comparable English players.

James Maddison- Good player, had a good season at Norwich. 14 goals 8 assists. Reportedly going for about £25million.

Jack Grealish- Lots of talent, skillful exciting player, but his record is pretty average, nearly 23, 90 odd games and he hasnt even got into double figures goal and assist wise. Villa want £40million. Thats only a few million less then Zidane went to Madrid for.

I'd love to have Grealish or Maddison at Leeds, they are 2 exciting young players with potential who look good in this league.

But why are either of them worth more then Jota or Kluivert? 2 younger players, one who was probably the best player in the same league as them last season and another with over 50 matches for one of the most famous clubs in Europe, a full international and 2 or 3 years younger.

Its madness and does show why we went abroad, the English market is inflated and the English players are the worst.

And it could harm there careers.

If the values continue to inflate, a talented but unproven English Championship player will be £30+mil standard price.

Thats a lot of money, most English clubs cant afford to throw that around willy nilly and wont risk it on unproven players.

So you look to the few that can, the top 7 or 8, but eventually the top 7 or 8 will run out of room, so they will buy players and never play them (hello Ross Barkley).

Or they wont buy them at all, and foreign clubs who can afford them wont buy them either, can you imagine a Real Madrid buying a Championship midfielder for £30mil?

Why would they when they can have a younger player like Kluivert for half the price?

So if these players cant get a move they stay in the lower leagues if they dont get promoted, they may do well but with that there values go even higher.

30mill becomes 35, 40, 45 etc.

Eventually maybe someone will take a chance, but then this once talented 21,22 year old is now 28, 29, he has missed out on 4 or 5 years of top league experience.

There is going to come a time when a talented young English championship player is stuck in the lower leagues just because his club isnt good enough to get promoted but wont ask for a realistic price.

English players will never reach the top of club football because they are simply far to expensive and overrated.

The odd one will get through, needs must, Kyle Walker for example is the sort of defender City needed at the time and they can afford to splash the cash even when its ridiculous.

But on the whole unless English clubs are willing to value fairly players will miss out.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: English Player Values

Post by The Subhuman »

Maybe something to do with foreign player limits. Not as many top quality British players around so those that show anything cots a premium.

Also as Sky has created an unequal market of rich and poor those smaller/poorer teams have to get paid heavily for their talent wherever they can

Sell on clauses may have something to do with it too.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

It's because .. the English premier league has been and continues been ripped off with greed that has agents and possibly player power gone mad.What with the players you've mentioned .. the only thing been offered from these players is potential.Clubs are paying vast sums for that and that only. Oh and you need only look at Man City, man Ian's Chelsea to realise then hold the power to ward off other teams. Just because some of these young ones fulfils their so called potential.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Two reasons:
1. The homegrown rule and numbers needed. Large majority of PL clubs don't develop their own players, so a need for English developed players mean they will panic spend.
2. They have more money than sense. An ITV digital disaster with Sky would be fun. Fans are also to blame, demanding clubs throw ridiculous sums at bang average players in order to show "ambition".
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I really like Che Adams, big fan and was very excited when i thought we may get him. The fee we were willing to pay (if promoted) was £20mil plus a few mill in loan fees.

Today Villarreal signed Paco Alcacer for £21mil.

A guy with 43 goals and 22 assists in La Liga.
23 goals in 37 games in the Bundesliga.
12 goals in 19 games for Spain.

Nothing against Che Adams but it shows the ridiculous nature of the domestic market imo.

If Alcacer was English and you were trying to buy him from an English club you'd probably be lucky to get much change from £50mil.

Surely this will all end in tears? English clubs are pricing English players out of the market.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 pm Fans are also to blame, demanding clubs throw ridiculous sums at bang average players in order to show "ambition".
Cough.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

The Wigan left back being sold for £10m ( by all accounts ) to Milan says it all. Ridiculously inflated market here.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Gurj wrote:The Wigan left back being sold for £10m ( by all accounts ) to Milan says it all. Ridiculously inflated market here.
Our lb must be worth at least 20m then. Do we even have a lb ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:22 pm Our lb must be worth at least 20m then. Do we even have a lb ?

Doug....las.....?

No wait, had to edit this in case you thought I was being serious.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mothbanquet wrote: Doug....las.....?

No wait, had to edit this in case you thought I was being serious.
I'd forgotten about him ...our ever-present...in the treatment room Image

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm I'd forgotten about him ...our ever-present...in the treatment room Image

Those physios have to eat too, you know.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

No English footballer is a world beater however clubs spend outrageous monies on average players in the main
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But it's clear why we do it right?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"