LUFC Squad 2018-19

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: LUFC Squad 2018-19

Post by weasel »

My feeling is that they have put all the players onto different lists in terms of priority of getting them out/replaced. The players leaving so far have been well down the pecking order (with the possible exception of Coyle) and as such they can be allowed to leave without us having to replace them. I feel once those are all gone then we probably move on to those that we hope to replace with better and they will leave at roughly the same time as their replacements come in - i.e. at this time Cooper, O'Kane etc are needed as part of the squad but we would/should be replacing them with better. It may be that if our budget is set up to get 4 or 5 key signings that there wouldn't be enough to buy enough quality in all areas which would mean we can get 1 first team starting defender in but not enough to buy that defender and also a defender as back up that is better than Cooper.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I don't like knocking Cooper because I genuinely believe he gives his all,whether that's good enough is another thing, when Jansson and Bartley were together he didn't get a look in, because both are better, it's not his fault the club didn't invest in someone else any better when Bartley went back to Swansea.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:43 pm I don't like knocking Cooper because I genuinely believe he gives his all,whether that's good enough is another thing, when Jansson and Bartley were together he didn't get a look in, because both are better, it's not his fault the club didn't invest in someone else any better when Bartley went back to Swansea.
He shouldn't be captain, (god what TC was thinking letting the players pick) but exactly, perfectly serviceable CB4 imo. Who'd we have to replace either through the youth set up or buy. We already need two starting defenders so getting rid of him means we need to find 3 at shortish notice,

He was absolutely the second best CB at the club last season and on occasions outplayed PJ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Always felt that a disciplinary record is a good indicator of a player who is out of his depth.

There are exceptions of course.

Patrick Vieira, Roy Keane, Sergio Ramos etc but by and large players with poor disciplinary records are players who are lacking the talent for the level they are at imo.

If you look at the names on the Premier league red card list.

Duncan Ferguson, Lee Cattermole, Joey Barton, Franck Queudrue, Younes Kaboul, Paul Konchesky, Nicky Butt.

Those wernt necessarily bad players but you wouldn't call them quality premier league players who on talent alone would be 1st team regulars.

Thats how i see some of ours, Gaetano Berardi, Kalvin Phillips , Liam Cooper.

There not awful players, but there not real quality players who would get into a Championship 1st 11 because they are really good.

They are average players who try really hard and compensate for lacking in real quality by running about and being physical.

Every squad needs that sort of player but you shouldn't be banking on them for a whole season because by there very style they are going to get sent off and there lack of real talent will lead to mistakes eventually.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Updated for Tyler Denton loan.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm guessing Murphy, O'Kane & Sacko could be the next departures

Murphy probably favourite to go
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:32 am I'm guessing Murphy, O'Kane & Sacko could be the next departures

Murphy probably favourite to go
O'Connor season loan to Blackpool. Rather it would be Cooper, but Blackpool probably already has enough donkeys. Murphy has been linked with Rotherham.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sacko would be a loan, doubt we'll give up on the significant investment when he's flashed
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

There’s been a lot of chatter that the Denton Loan was part of the terms to bring Maddison the other way.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I think Cooper is still there because of our inability so far to sign a CB. Right now Jansson is the only one and Bielsa likes to play 3.

I'm guessing Forshaw, Ayling, and Berardi are all candidates to play CB. But even so, we still need at least one quality signing before we can think about letting Cooper go.

As for Jansson being our only lock in CB, did everyone notice he played up front for Sweden today? Maybe that's our plan instead of signing any one of those ST's we keep getting linked with.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not sure he touched the ball though
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also in the formation we're expecting Beradi and De Bock could also play the role of stopper, we also have the very promising Hugo Diaz and Aapo Halme, then Ouasim Bouy needs to break through very soon. Maybe a decent back up libero who knows
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:02 am Also in the formation we're expecting Beradi and De Bock could also play the role of stopper, we also have the very promising Hugo Diaz and Aapo Halme, then Ouasim Bouy needs to break through very soon. Maybe a decent back up libero who knows
Oriol Rey was a ball playing centre back at Barcelona. We converted him to midfield because of his skill on the ball, so there could be an option there to move him back. He is not very big, but he is extremely talented.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:26 am Oriol Rey was a ball playing centre back at Barcelona. We converted him to midfield because of his skill on the ball, so there could be an option there to move him back. He is not very big, but he is extremely talented.
Have you seen Rey play Gandi ?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 am Have you seen Rey play Gandi ?
Not live, but, I watched most of the U23 games last season. Very classy player with a sweet left foot.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think until the friendlies start and we get a look at the formation and who is playing we are all guessing a lot about what type of player is needed where and how good some of our young players are.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:34 am Not live, but, I watched most of the U23 games last season. Very classy player with a sweet left foot.
I watched a couple of the games but I can't recall the best performers now, it must a an age thing with me :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:37 am I think until the friendlies start and we get a look at the formation and who is playing we are all guessing a lot about what type of player is needed where and how good some of our young players are.
Off to the York v Leeds game a week on Thursday. I suspect assessing the players in that game will be hard to judge with it being one of the early friendlies
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 pm Off to the York v Leeds game a week on Thursday. I suspect assessing the players in that game will be hard to judge with it being one of the early friendlies
Probably but would expect 1 or 2 players to stand out and maybe it might be a surprise (i.e. 1 of the younger players might look better than those around him). I remember a few years back us losing 4-0 to Bury but a fairly much unknown Davide Somma really stood out. His touch and movement was superb and despite him missing 2 or 3 great chances and the team being awful I thought we had a really good player on our hands (and that if he scored a goal he would get his confidence up and be a real handful). He then had a great start to the season, initially off the bench, and was scoring for fun before he got injured.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm Probably but would expect 1 or 2 players to stand out and maybe it might be a surprise (i.e. 1 of the younger players might look better than those around him). I remember a few years back us losing 4-0 to Bury but a fairly much unknown Davide Somma really stood out. His touch and movement was superb and despite him missing 2 or 3 great chances and the team being awful I thought we had a really good player on our hands (and that if he scored a goal he would get his confidence up and be a real handful). He then had a great start to the season, initially off the bench, and was scoring for fun before he got injured.
Somma never quite fulfilled his early potential in an injury ragged career