To Panic Or Not To Panic

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: To Panic Or Not To Panic

Post by The Subhuman »

We don't have any turds so that's a start...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm We don't have any turds so that's a start...
Blimey Faaip you must have been watching a different team to the one I was watching

We are talking about a soft bunch of gutless players who showed little invention & lacked the quality required, had no pace or energy, a team that struggled to win football matches, didn't gain one away victory in 2018 & consequently dropped like a stone to 13th place in the championship, would have fallen even lower had the season gone on much longer
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

I’m with genghers above RE: CB. But Let’s see what bielsa can do with some of the ‘s**t players’ - look at bamba (I remember the majority calling him bambi and wanting rid because he was a liability) and a different system and manager has him in the champ team of the season.

no further comment necessary
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

We all panicked during the bielsa negotiations and how long they took. Maybe it’s been too long for us to remember or maybe because of
Social media we’re all just too impatient as a whole now - but sometimes, just like bielsa - the higher bracket of ability takes a little while to get over the line.

Wolves didn’t make their first proper signing till later in the window last year.... let’s just reassess at the end of the window.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brader wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am We all panicked during the bielsa negotiations and how long they took. Maybe it’s been too long for us to remember or maybe because of
Social media we’re all just too impatient as a whole now - but sometimes, just like bielsa - the higher bracket of ability takes a little while to get over the line.

Wolves didn’t make their first proper signing till later in the window last year.... let’s just reassess at the end of the window.
And the likes of Wolves, Cardiff & Fulham didn't look in the wrong direction as we did last season. Lets just hope we get it right this time round !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Brader wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am We all panicked during the bielsa negotiations and how long they took. Maybe it’s been too long for us to remember or maybe because of

A great point as I think a lot of fans had already decided that we wouldn't get Bielsa long before the negotiations were finished but as you say some things take longer and if we are trying to sign a higher class of player it can take longer as more teams will be interested in them. A great example would be the Jerry Mbakogu situation where if we had wanted to sign him we could have done so and the deal would have been done and dusted as the selling club were desperate to sell and you get the impression that Jerry would have agreed terms quickly as it seems we were the only club interested in him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:33 am Blimey Faaip you must have been watching a different team to the one I was watching

We are talking about a soft bunch of gutless players who showed little invention & lacked the quality required, had no pace or energy, a team that struggled to win football matches, didn't gain one away victory in 2018 & consequently dropped like a stone to 13th place in the championship, would have fallen even lower had the season gone on much longer
Last season is a hard one to dissect as there were a few great performances, some good ones, some average and also a lot of awful ones. Clearly a lot of our players have talent but are at present not complete footballers and Bielsa needs to work out which players he can count on. Samu at times looked a great player but lost his way a bit, Alioski at times looked great flying down the wing, Cooper had some really impressive games but seemed to lose the plot at times which was maybe down to frustration but also possibly him losing focus due to being the captain of a sinking ship and not concentrating on his primary job (as a player manager I can sympathise as at times my concentration would drop slightly, especially if we were playing poorly, as I'd be thinking about what changes etc I needed to make).

I certainly don't think the team are as bad as they looked at times, what they did need though was the 3 players that had made a huge difference the season before, Green, Bartley and Wood. Not only did they have good seasons but they also had the height and presence. Give last season's team an extra 10-15 goals scored, take away a few of the cheap goals conceded and suddenly we are a different team, certainly results wise - when we played badly last season we got thumped, when we played badly the season before we often got something out of the match and that was the big difference.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 am I certainly don't think the team are as bad as they looked at times, what they did need though was the 3 players that had made a huge difference the season before, Green, Bartley and Wood. Not only did they have good seasons but they also had the height and presence. Give last season's team an extra 10-15 goals scored, take away a few of the cheap goals conceded and suddenly we are a different team, certainly results wise - when we played badly last season we got thumped, when we played badly the season before we often got something out of the match and that was the big difference.
Indeed Monk's team did look vulnerable at times but we had big experienced championship players such as Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Wood, Taylor & Berardi to nick results for us, we even had a game-changer in Doukara on the bench.
Last season we had no one to make a difference when we were under the cosh.

I still quiver at the thought of some of the replacements for our ex-influential players :oops:

Lasogga for Wood
Pennington/Cooper/Shaughnessy for Bartley
Borthwick-Jackson/Anita/De Bock for Taylor
Wiedwald for Green
Ekuban/Grot for Doukara

Ten players nowhere near good enough to fill the boots of those five we lost
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Why do people talk about doukara like he was viduka. Granted the players in after him weren’t great but he wasn’t exactly a world beater for the majority of games in between ‘that’ goal. And he was still part of the sick note six so he can f**k off.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Brader wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:19 am Why do people talk about doukara like he was viduka. Granted the players in after him weren’t great but he wasn’t exactly a world beater for the majority of games in between ‘that’ goal. And he was still part of the sick note six so he can f**k off.
Rose tinted specs I think, he would have added nothing much last season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Have to agree re Doukara. Maybe he was better than Grot and Ekuban, but we're talking about degrees of s**t-ness here. Doukara was distinctly average for the majority of his time at ER
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:47 am ..............................

no further comment necessary
Some of our lot are on there 3rd 4th 5th manager, they been distinctly average for each :flog:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 am Some of our lot are on there 3rd 4th 5th manager, they been distinctly average for each :flog:

Tbf, the managers didn't reach average.
Bar 1
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 am Tbf, the managers didn't reach average.
Bar 1
True.

Maybe Bielsa will get more out of them, some of them if he does then he is definitely Jesus.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sorry I don't get what your all saying about Doukara

No he wasn't a world beater but he was decent coming off the bench or filling in the midfield when needed during Monk's reign

He was replaced by two players who were totally out of their depth in Grot & Ekuban who scored one goal between them. Doukara scored six goals & gave us a bit of strength & muscle when required much more than those two truly awful Orta signings who would struggle to score goals in a pub team. Doukara also scored the goal of the season v Forest at ER
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can't believe some of you defend last seasons fiasco & knock the players who just missed out on a play-off place :roll:
hector

Post by hector »

That's it Mr 64...

you put your Dukes up :box:

(see what I did there?)

:) :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm True.

Maybe Bielsa will get more out of them, some of them if he does then he is definitely Jesus.
I think there are 5 players that have improvement in them,that were probably only at 60-70% last season Ayling before injury, Phillips, Vieira Saiz and Alioski. I also think Ekuban as the attributes for improvement, whether he has the desire is another thing. Get the extra percentage from that lot and its like having new players.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 pm I think there are 5 players that have improvement in them,that were probably only at 60-70% last season Ayling before injury, Phillips, Vieira Saiz and Alioski. I also think Ekuban as the attributes for improvement, whether he has the desire is another thing. Get the extra percentage from that lot and its like having new players.
All five need to up their game that's for sure Ges :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:04 pm All five need to up their game that's for sure Ges :tup:
Phillips and Vieria have age on their side.
Saiz needs a change of attitude.
Alioski just needs better guiding
Ayling needs to recover the previous seasons form.
They all have it in them imo.

Pearce and BPF breaking through.
Jansson and Forshaw Hernandez in good form then we are only really 2/3 away from a challenging team, 4 would be nice as they won't all be in form at the same time.
I think a new keeper will be named mon/ tues, and 2 more by the weeks end.