To Panic Or Not To Panic

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: To Panic Or Not To Panic

Post by weasel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 am

1964white wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:03 am
The delay in signings could be salary related I suspect, not signing players too early so they save on the wage bill plus our board are desperate to offload some of the surplus crap they signed last summer, meanwhile we could miss the boat on potential signings, would be typical of a LUFC board.

Must be something in the water in Leeds as the people at the top have screwed up at the Rhinos & Yorkshire County Cricket Club, tight-fisted & obstinate comes to mind. For a city the size of Leeds we should be achieving much more, the sporting fans of my home city deserve better!
You can certainly see the logic in delaying signings wages wise in terms of say Hernande might be requesting £40k per week and say 3 others all requesting £20k per week would mean the club saves £100k per week by not signing the players early but for me once preseason started the players needed to be in place so they could be getting used to Bielsa's system.

Now if Vydra is really injured, as Derby claim, you again can see the logic in not signing him until he is injury free (we don't really need a situation like with Tyler Roberts or even to a lesser degree Forshaw in regard to signing players that were not 100% fit). No guarantees either with Abel Hernande that he is actually 100% fit at the moment given his injury record and it may be that 2 of our intended signings therefore are presently injured. If you add that a keeper is likely also a main priority then there is probably less need to get him in straightaway as he will not need to get to grips with Bielsa's system as he isn't an outfield player. So in theory that might explain the majority of the lack of signings so far.
Senor El Weasel

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am

weasel wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 am
Agree with you there and we find ourselves in the same position as last season in trying to replace Green, Bartley and Wood and seem no nearer. If these 3 had been replaced with players of similar, or even slightly worse, then I still think we could have made the playoffs - same again this year.
From the noises we heard previously the suggestion would be the 4 or 5 key signings but the U23s would provide the back up in case of an injury crisis etc.
Losing Wood, Bartley, Green, Doukara & Taylor were a massive loss

Our board thought they knew best replacing them with cheap inferior signings who had never played in the championship in the main plus employing inexperienced coaches.

Now is the time for them to wake up & smell the coffee, so far apart from employing a decent coach we've seen no evidence of that

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:41 am

weasel wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 am
You can certainly see the logic in delaying signings wages wise in terms of say Hernande might be requesting £40k per week and say 3 others all requesting £20k per week would mean the club saves £100k per week by not signing the players early but for me once preseason started the players needed to be in place so they could be getting used to Bielsa's system.

Now if Vydra is really injured, as Derby claim, you again can see the logic in not signing him until he is injury free (we don't really need a situation like with Tyler Roberts or even to a lesser degree Forshaw in regard to signing players that were not 100% fit). No guarantees either with Abel Hernande that he is actually 100% fit at the moment given his injury record and it may be that 2 of our intended signings therefore are presently injured. If you add that a keeper is likely also a main priority then there is probably less need to get him in straightaway as he will not need to get to grips with Bielsa's system as he isn't an outfield player. So in theory that might explain the majority of the lack of signings so far.
I'm unconvinced we are even looking to sign Vydra or Hernandez to be honest !

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:11 am

1964white wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 pm
I'll be absolutely astounded if the above three played a major part in a promotion winning team, there are a few more too Cjay
We'd have said the same about Sol Bamba when he left.

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:23 am

No panic for me yet but to be convinced we have really moved forward I think the club has to pull through on some of the marquee signings they have clearly targeted e.g. Hernandez, Vydra, Gunn and Bartley or other high quality alternatives no last minute make do loans and no marks. If we don't get the quality in we could be in CJ armageddon scenario of Bielsa losing the plot and walking.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:32 am

dp.jpg
dp.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 10409 times
:tup: “Always ensure it is an original HECTOR post and not a cheap immitation” :wink:

lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am

Jesus, we're a pessimistic lot!! We've brought a highly respected coach, known for his meticulous approach and we know he sought and got assurances re transfers etc. As weasel said, Baker came out of the blue, others may also. Relax and enjoy the sunshine, people, it'll all be fine!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

billysboots
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by billysboots » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I don’t think we can start the new season without a new goalkeeper, strong centre back and proven goal scorer. If we got those we could always bring in more talent in January if needed.

The players we are talking to know we have a few bob and are desperate so their agents are playing hardball.
There Is Only One United.

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Angus Kinnear saying today everything is under control regarding transfers, things a bit slow because of the World Cup, expects it to pick up soon etc. Working hard to get the right people rather then working quickly to get anybody like last season. Mentioned how bigger moves at other clubsmay speed up our transfers.

June 21st he said transfers were "well advanced".

Make your mind up.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:27 pm

I believe him....

Why would he lie??

Seems plausible enough to me......
:tup: “Always ensure it is an original HECTOR post and not a cheap immitation” :wink:

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Senor El Weasel

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am
Jesus, we're a pessimistic lot!! We've brought a highly respected coach, known for his meticulous approach and we know he sought and got assurances re transfers etc. As weasel said, Baker came out of the blue, others may also. Relax and enjoy the sunshine, people, it'll all be fine!!
This, and we have a lot of talent waiting to come through. Two new players so far and I'd imagine 2/3 from the youth adds another 5 to the first team squad
My life is chicken scratch
Sometimes baby
You can't sell the same s**t back

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:21 pm

weasel wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm
:lol:
Don’t go to bed just yet !

MightyWhites
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by MightyWhites » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm

faaip wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm
This, and we have a lot of talent waiting to come through. Two new players so far and I'd imagine 2/3 from the youth adds another 5 to the first team squad
We have every right to be pessimistic! We have sold all our best players for the last 10 years and bought inferior replacements, which is why we are where we are! I seem to remember Lazio promising Biesla the world, and then him walking out on them two days later when they didn't do it. Derby have bought 8 players , we have one loanee and some people are wondering why we are worried??

liggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by liggy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm

It's all B/S baisle good manager definitely

ORTA a joke.
Ambition I have me doubts.
Any racing pigeon that comes home in rase time has the luxury of a garlic b12 pure wheat germ drink
With the added bonus of his hen.
Belive you me Leeds utd are lacking ambition

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:30 am

MightyWhites wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm
We have every right to be pessimistic! We have sold all our best players for the last 10 years and bought inferior replacements, which is why we are where we are! I seem to remember Lazio promising Biesla the world, and then him walking out on them two days later when they didn't do it. Derby have bought 8 players , we have one loanee and some people are wondering why we are worried??
And Derby are suppose to be skint, the rams are the perennial bottlers but at least they give it a go every season

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:39 am

liggy wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm
It's all B/S baisle good manager definitely

ORTA a joke.
Ambition I have me doubts.
Any racing pigeon that comes home in rase time has the luxury of a garlic b12 pure wheat germ drink
With the added bonus of his hen.
Believe you me Leeds utd are lacking ambition
It wouldn't surprise me Liggy if it's all b/s in an effort to sell more season-tickets & fleece our fan base yet again.
Past caring to be honest, as a long suffering fan I believe in 'what will be will be' & if it doesn't happen I just resign myself for another crap season.
The way things are now Bielsa won't be at ER for long !

Genghers
Manager
Manager

Post by Genghers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:10 am

My biggest worry is CB at the moment. With Pontus still at the World Cup (though he'll be back on Sunday :P ), we only have Cooper as a senior CB. Ayling is capable of playing there, so I'm guessing it'll be those two plus one if the youth players there for now. I agree that we could do with at least one more coming in though - we were linked with Helander before the WC, so maybe Pontus will bring him home with him!

Read this morning that Edmonson, Shackleton and Clarke (all attackers) have been training with the senior squad, as well as Ideguchi, so that suggests that Bielsa feels that they can have an impact. De Bock and Klich have dropped down to u23.

BPF was getting rave reviews on here at the end of last year, so I don't see a rush to get another keeper in until the right opportunity presents itself. I presume that will be announced pretty soon, considering Felix and Lonergan have now both gone.

I don't think we should be rushing this Vydra deal tbh. He's good, but supposedly injured and for £11m you don't want someone who's going to come in and not start until September...

Brader
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Brader » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:21 am

No panic for me. I can understand the frustration however on paper, very few clubs have made many signings. We seem to have set our sights alittle higher this year so negotiations are bound to take a little longer.

To play devils advocate with Orta, he only came in about this time last year with half the budget we seem to have now. Clearly most of them didn’t work however on paper some of them looks great (looking at you lassoga).

I’m with genghers above RE: CB. But Let’s see what bielsa can do with some of the ‘s**t players’ - look at bamba (I remember the majority calling him bambi and wanting rid because he was a liability) and a different system and manager has him in the champ team of the season.

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Brader wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:21 am
No panic for me. I can understand the frustration however on paper, very few clubs have made many signings. We seem to have set our sights alittle higher this year so negotiations are bound to take a little longer.

To play devils advocate with Orta, he only came in about this time last year with half the budget we seem to have now. Clearly most of them didn’t work however on paper some of them looks great (looking at you lassoga).

I’m with genghers above RE: CB. But Let’s see what bielsa can do with some of the ‘s**t players’ - look at bamba (I remember the majority calling him bambi and wanting rid because he was a liability) and a different system and manager has him in the champ team of the season.
Think there are some players Bielsa will be able to get more out of.

Vieira, Baker, Alioski, Saiz maybe,some of the youth lads, Struijk, Clarke etc. That excites me.

Cant polish a turd though, we got quite a few of those. Different system though, we knlw the system, there are certain players who cant play it imo that we have.

Still pretty calm, this time next week though if nothing has changed then may be time to start to worry imo.