The Brazilian Ronaldo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

The Brazilian Ronaldo

Post by Cjay »

Reminded of him by a clip on Twitter.

Diego Maradona ( a very popular choice for the greatest player of all time) basically said to Ronaldo 's face, " you were the greatest number 9 of all time, without injuries you would have been the greatest player of all time, i have no doubt about this".

Not known for his modesty is Diego so speaks volumes that he says this, and he may have a point.

By the age of 23 he was a double FIFA World Player of the Year. a Ballon D'or winner, a World Cup Winner, in his last true physical peak season, he was at Barcelona and scored 47 goals in 49 games.

What is incredible about him is that he had had injury issues since he was just 19, those came to a head in the 1999-2000 season when he was just 23,, a serious knee injury ended the career of Prime Ronaldo, kept him out of action for 2 years, and he was never the same again.

For the rest of his career he was plagued with injuries and consequently fitness and weight issues, he was a shadow of the player that had destroyed La Liga for Barcelona.

As that shadow he won another World PLayer OF the Year award, another World Cup, and a series of other awards and trophies.

His strike rate at Real Madrid was very impressive by anyone standards, over 100 goals in less then 200 appearances, he won the Golden SHoe at the World Cup in 2002, 8 goals, still stands as a record for that award.

In simple terms, injury plagued Ronaldo was still the best striker in the world, prime Ronaldo was on another level.

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: The Brazilian Ronaldo

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Immense player - watched a documentary about him a while ago, one of the true greats.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

He couldn't even score against the formidable twin central defence pairing of Paul Beesley and John Pemberton, so he can't have been that good.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gandalf wrote:
He couldn't even score against the formidable twin central defence pairing of Paul Beesley and John Pemberton, so he can't have been that good.
I love a debunk - what match gandi?