World Soccer Magazine - Leeds United

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

World Soccer Magazine - Leeds United

Post by YorkshireSquare »

World Soccer Magazine are doing a guide to the season and have a few questions about Leeds United if anyone can spare a few minutes;

1 In a sentence or two, how would you describe last season for your club?

2 What are your hopes and fears for the 2018-19 season?

3 Who was your biggest hero last season?

4 Who was your biggest villain?

5 What was you team’s best song/chant last season?

6 Is there a youngster to watch out for?

7 Who is your most under-rated player?

8 How are relations between the fans and the owners?
gessa

Re: World Soccer Magazine - Leeds United

Post by gessa »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm World Soccer Magazine are doing a guide to the season and have a few questions about Leeds United if anyone can spare a few minutes;

1.Last season started very brightly, it seemed the new manager had got a team that could play the way he wanted and it was working, 1 or 2 from the previous season had up their performances too, everything was looking rosy. Then we had a very bad performance at Millwall, where we were bullied and had no answers, suddenly teams knew what to do against us, that was when we found out the new guy had no other way of playing and the team fell short more often than not after that. New manager, and things were even worse.

2. Hopes are, the new manager can get the team playing his way and we can see a big improvement in the playing style and more importantly, results.
Fears, the new mans philosophy isn't working and we make little or no progress.

3. No hero but was very pleased the way Bailey Peacock Farrell stepped up to the mark when called upon, it was a difficult period for the club and he took his opportunity very well.

4. Saiz, no excuse for the spitting incident and he came back from it a poorer player.

5. Footballs best song is Leeds Leeds Leeds, Marching On Together, nothing comes close.

6. We seem to have another crop of youngsters coming through who people hold in high regard but not having seen them , I'm not sure which one's can make the step up.

7. I don't think we have any under rated really, from what I see and read most are thought of appropriately.

8. Precarious I'd say, I think we live more in hope than expectation. We seem to be fed a lot of spin but nothing as yet as materialised to show they are serious. I would say in the main fans are still onside but with no progress this season then folk will start to think here we go again, same old same old.
Last edited by gessa on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm
Atrocious, inept, weak & indiscipline all come to mind
Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm 2 What are your hopes and fears for the 2018-19 season?
Firstly to avoid relegation & hopefully improve on last season's 13th position
No hero but Pablo Hernandez was our best player
Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm 4 Who was your biggest villain?
Spitter Saiz
Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm 5 What was you team’s best song/chant last season?
Marching On Together. Every clubs fans boo our anthem at away matches
Hopefully the four I saw play in the championship last season improve significantly, others are on the fringe of the first-team squad apparently. Lewis Coyle on loan at Fleetwood is a decent full-back
Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm 7 Who is your most under-rated player?
We haven't any under-rated types, plenty of over-rated players though
Very good it seems although I'm still waiting to be convinced. Fifteen months since the new owners took the reins at ER we are now on our 3rd manager/coach with no marquee signings on the pitch. Of course things may change before the transfer window deadline, it needs to or else we're in for yet another long old season
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting on the under-rated player answers.

For me Pablo Hernandez is our most under-rated player. Not by Leeds fans but when I see him at the top of his game I wonder why he hasn't played for bigger clubs at higher levels. People purred over Saiz early last season but Pablo reminded us what a real class player looked like later on in the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 pm Interesting on the under-rated player answers.

For me Pablo Hernandez is our most under-rated player. Not by Leeds fans but when I see him at the top of his game I wonder why he hasn't played for bigger clubs at higher levels. People purred over Saiz early last season but Pablo reminded us what a real class player looked like later on in the season.
Never underrated imo! Pablo was superb Adam :tup: only player from the original first team squad who showed consistent form throughout last season. We purred over Saiz last autumn, unfortunately he lost his way particularly after his spitting incident & never recovered his early scintillating form
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

The first two months were absolutely fantastic, we produced some of the best football Elland Road has seen since the Champions League days and went to the top of the table, however, disastrous recruitment from Victor Orta came back to haunt us with 15 signings being made but none of them replacing adequately the spine from the previous season (Wood, Bartley, Taylor and Green). The Samu Saiz spitting incident was the turning point and the season became quite simply a complete embarrasment from that moment onwards at least 3-4 players (all Orta signings) seemed to completely throw the towel in.

Hopes: Bielsa gets full backing and is allowed 100% control with signings to build his own team, which would mean I would have high hopes of a top 6 finish and a proper promotion push.
Fears (and the more likely outcome): We continue to be indecisive in the transfer market, resulting in Bielsa possibly resigning at some point in the season (like at Marseille and Lazio) and it's another season of mid table at best. I have a real fear Bielsa might be too good to be true.

Pablo Hernandez who was absolutely superb and comfortably our best player last season whilst playing totally out of position on the left wing he was like a one man army at times. Pablo's efficiency with the ball is ridiculous and only reason he isn't playing at a higher level anymore is simply because of his age (33). He is absolutely perfect for the 'enganche' role under Marcelo Bielsa. The fans were partiularly heroic last season, it just saddens me we never got any reward for our fantastic support once again.

It has to be Victor Orta out of his 15 singings only 2 of them (Saiz and Forshaw) really made a positive impact on the team. Of course the management team and a lot of the players have to take the blame as well but I personally think Orta is the most responsible of all for last season.

"Der Der Der Der Der Thomas Christiansen" (to the tune of "this girl" Kungs vs Cookin' on 3 Burners) sung within 10 minutes of TC's first game in charge vs Bolton

Yes luckily there are several Tom Pearce (left back) has impressed the most he offers absolutely everything you want from a left back both defensively and going forward watch out for Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Connor Shaugnessy, Oriol Rey, Jack Clarke, Ryan Edmondson and Sam Dalby as well.

I'm going to say Conor Shaughnessy I personally thought he did well when he played in his preferred centre back role last season and at 22 has the potential to improve further. He's underrated as he found himself behind Liam Cooper and Matthew Pennington in the pecking order for the whole of last season. Hopefully he comes back well from a serious injury he picked up last season

Difficult to say at the moment a lot of fans (myself included) are frustrated that not much has been done so far to make amends for last season. It will all depend on ambition in the transfer market. If we do show ambition Radrizzani will be as popular as he was 12 months ago, however, if we don't and finish mid table again whilst also selling our star players like Luke Ayling and Pontus Jansson to the Premier League, fans would have every right to want change.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

As expected for me after signing a relative management virgin with very little experience.

Somewhere between 6th and 12th would be good, lots of teams with a lot more money and we're starting over again with new formations and tactics

Herandez had a blistering season, hopefully retains his place this

Thomas Christiansen, I think he neglected a lot of what was needed in regards to coaching and tactics, left the players unfit and we were in freefall when he finally got the push

MOT

Tom Pearce looks the real deal, and should shine in the MB system..Potential to be the best player to come through our youth teams for a long time

I'm obviously going to say Kemar Roofe who created chances all season long, was our top scorer and worked his socks off pressing anyone that moved. All this while being mucked around - in and out of the team, off the bench and in multiple positions. There was in the last few games something special building with Tom Pearce down the left ...Whatever we sell him for won't be enough

Tenuous, grudging, but they shouldn't be. They're doing a good job atm and we're looking a gift horse in the mouth imo
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

I'm obviously going to say Kemar Roofe who created chances all season long, was our top scorer and work his socks off pressing anyone that moved. All this by being mucked around in and out of the team, off the bench and in multiple positions. There was in the last few games something special building with Tom Pearce down the left ...Whatever we sell him for won't be enough

That's a good shout that mate i'm not Roofe's biggest fan but he did a good job up front on his own when asked to play there and had a good scoring record.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1) Started brightly, very grateful to TC for some of those performances under him, Burton, Bristol City, Boro and even Fulham, didnt win but some of the football was sparkling. However, poor recruitment and recruiting for one tactical style quickly showed its deficiencies, we lacked the muscle to cope and were bullied. Sacking TC and bringing in Hecky showed the club had the same scattergun approach to coaches as they did to players.

2) Hope- That Bielsa has really done his homework and insisted that the club buy the right players for him and his style but also for the league. The club Bielsa and we have a really positive season ending with a significant improvement on last season.
Fears- That Bielsa's style requires the best players, players well out of our league and it all goes wrong, Bielsa resigns out of frustration and we end up in a relegation battle after vastly underestimating the quality of players Bielsa needed.

3) Pablo Hernandez- Officially the most creative player in the league last season, carried the team, especially under Heckingbottom, was solely responsible for about 80% of all Heckys points through his goals and assists. Very lucky that he stayed, could comfortably still be playing in the Premier League.

4) Samu Saiz- Almost totally anonymous from November, a petulant, selfish player whose ability is far below that of the man who was shunted out to left wing to accommodate him. If he stays he owes the fans a lot, the spitting incident was a real turning point in our season.

5) MOT.

6) Jack Clarke- Watched quite a bit of the u23s last season, really stood out. Quick, tricky and direct, top scorer for the u18s, they promoted him because he was to good, then the best attacking player for the u23s, he deserves a chance in the 1st team.

7) Gianni Alioski- Hit and miss season but for a 1st season his goals and assists were decent. The effort he puts in though is 1st class, often was the player who made the most tackles overall, the 1st player tracking back if we were broke on, the 1st player bombing forward if we were doing the breaking, phenomenonal attitude and workrate.

8) Starting to get strained, honeymoon period definitely over, fans want action, we were promised an "exciting summer" and it was implied we would "do a Wolves". It hasnt reached breaking point yet but fans are getting a bit testy towards the owner, he needs to show some ambition.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 pm
7) Gianni Alioski- Hit and miss season but for a 1st season his goals and assists were decent. The effort he puts in though is 1st class, often was the player who made the most tackles overall, the 1st player tracking back if we were broke on, the 1st player bombing forward if we were doing the breaking, phenomenonal attitude and workrate.
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
Still factual :roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm Still factual :roflmao:
Is it chuff Cjay

Alioski average match rating was about 5/10 just

One of the most frustrating players of last season
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 pm Is it chuff Cjay

Alioski average match rating was about 5/10 just

One of the most frustrating players of last season
The effort he puts in though is 1st class, often was the player who made the most tackles overall, the 1st player tracking back if we were broke on, the 1st player bombing forward if we were doing the breaking, phenomenonal attitude and workrate.

Lots of players through the years have been given chance after chance based on "trying hard".

Dallas, Philips, Andy Hughes, David Prutton, Gaetano Berardi.

Robert Snodgrass, 1st season in the Championship. 6 goals 8 assists, primary set piece taker.

Gianni Alioski 1st season in a new country and league- 7 goals 5 assists, not primary set piece taker.

Facts.
Signed

King Cjay

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks all!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Whatever happened to "WACCOE"?
I have a clip from a game at Leicester's Walker stadium, can't tell you the year. It's taken from on the terraces and the group nearest the video-taker is chanting "We are the Champions" and the group off screen but adjacent is chanting "of Europe" in perfect synchrony, whilst everybody is clapping their hands in time with the chanting. It lasts for damned near 5 minutes and is absolutely electric - makes the hairs on the nape of your neck erect. I think this is the 'YouTube' reference -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxWEIzcfaM
Last edited by Norm on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Well done gessa, oscar, faaip and Cjay - you've summed up the season with reasonable accuracy as far as I'm concerned.

Leon, if you were to add together 2 positive numbers your sum would still be negative - remember my comments about Jack Charlton in an earlier thread? I still see you always as the boo-boy despite your experience in watching football. If you could only see the positives from the first few games of last season and admit them I would have much more respect for your point of view, but no, the team is all crap, useless.

However, if we read back a little, you are not being entirely accurate in your present-day summations of last years performance when you consider some of your posts from last year -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34678

-and –

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34729
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I was just as bad as you in forecasting btw - I freely admit.