Life is so hectic....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Life is so hectic....

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 am

I went for a nap at 7.45pm yesterday evening & didn't wake up until 7 this morning :shock: I can't recall in my lifetime when I have slept nearly twelve hours.

I even missed out on my supper :(

Norm
Manager
Manager

Re: Life is so hectic....

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Lazy git

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm

1964white wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 am
I went for a nap at 7.45pm yesterday evening & didn't wake up until 7 this morning :shock: I can't recall in my lifetime when I have slept nearly twelve hours.

I even missed out on my supper :(
I remember once, whilst working at the dental clinic in Wakey I also had an evening and w/e job at the Heron peteol station. I did the Saturday over night shift 8.00 pm to 8.00 am, went home Sunday morning and had something to eat, went to bed at 10.00am, and the next thing Mum was waking me up to go to the dental clinic on Monday morning! I'd slept for about 22 hours :shock:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:15 pm

whiteswan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm
I remember once, whilst working at the dental clinic in Wakey I also had an evening and w/e job at the Heron peteol station. I did the Saturday over night shift 8.00 pm to 8.00 am, went home Sunday morning and had something to eat, went to bed at 10.00am, and the next thing Mum was waking me up to go to the dental clinic on Monday morning! I'd slept for about 22 hours :shock:
Wow 22 hours Swannie :shock:

The very early mornings are taking the toll

Worked from 4.45am until 10am, also did an awful lot of driving yesterday. Bowls match in the heat during the afternoon (drank two bottles of water), then did a bit of work early evening.

I even missed out on my supper :lol: repeating myself now !

Little 'ol man syndrome setting in I guess :(

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:16 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:08 pm
Lazy git
I wish Norm :)

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 pm

1964white wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:15 pm
Wow 22 hours Swannie :shock:

The very early mornings are taking the toll

Worked from 4.45am until 10am, also did an awful lot of driving yesterday. Bowls match in the heat during the afternoon (drank two bottles of water), then did a bit of work early evening.

I even missed out on my supper :lol: repeating myself now !

Little 'ol man syndrome setting in I guess :(
I felt really awful when I woke up....for days! Kind of a jet lagged feeling. :(

Blimey, working at 4.45 am :shock: why so early Leon?
I also think this ridiculously hot weather is having an impact on everything we do at the mo.....

Norm
Manager
Manager

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Welcome to regular US-style summer heat - been 95+ for most of July, as most years.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 pm

whiteswan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 pm
I felt really awful when I woke up....for days! Kind of a jet lagged feeling. :(

Blimey, working at 4.45 am :shock: why so early Leon?
I also think this ridiculously hot weather is having an impact on everything we do at the mo.....
Nail on the head Swannie

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm
Welcome to regular US-style summer heat - been 95+ for most of July, as most years.
I love it Norm :sun:

Shorts, pants, t-shirt & flip flops
Plenty of daylight
Cool showers
Siesta's
Sitting on our comfortable garden furniture on our new patio taking in the garden
Eating breakfast, lunch & dinner in the garden
Driving with windows wide open
Dining out with friends in the evening
Visits to the coast & various tearooms when we find time
Playing bowls in my shorts with the greens running nice & fast
Avoiding miserable people who moan about the heatwave

Bring it on

Norm
Manager
Manager

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 pm

I can see the attraction Leon, but when you've been in 95+ for a week or two it gets old, especially when there's a drought at the same time. Thank goodness those awful wildfires haven't come to Missouri yet, but they could.

Norm
Manager
Manager

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Remember, if it's an unusual bonus, like it obviously is for you, then it's something to enjoy, but when it's an annual purgatory, like it is for this cooler-weather Brit, it is something to be endured.

Anyway, not to be selfish, enjoy it while you can mate. It sounds like you've mastered the element.

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 am

Hi Leon :) I'm afraid I'm one of those 'miserable' people who moan about this heatwave. Three months we've had to put up with it down here in suffolk without any rain. Houndie is suffering terribly, his routine totally up the spout! He's always been a late sleeper, so walkies have always been around 11.00 am - 2.00 pm, whereafter he then has his first meal. Not been possible for weeks! Some days, he hasn't had a walk at all.....too hot, other days, I manage to get him out at 7.00 pm, which totally messes up his food schedule. I've had to keep our curtains closed for most of the days to try and keep him cool....sometimes having to resort to a very cold wet flannel on the back of his head/neck to stop him from overheating.
Three of our farmers fields have gone up in flames, due to the combine harvester sparking! The fires spread to the beautiful heath land within a few minutes of our house and it has been damaged terribly, :cry: over 20 fire appliances having attended in one day....
Then, I have my 88 year old parents who, especially my very very arthritic Mum who can barely walk, with her frame, is frazzled each and every time she has to try to go somewhere in their bungalow......all too much for her....
I too find it lovely that I can sit outside, in the sunshine by my stream in the garden with a glass or two of prosecco, in fact I love it....but it just doesn't suit everyone....some people (and dogs) just can't tolerate the extreme heat....

Norm
Manager
Manager

Post by Norm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:09 am

Swan, really hot weather is a boon in the short-term, but a curse in the long-term.
Lovers of Global Warning don't know what they think they know.

Q: The perfect way to cool yourself down?
A: Drink hot tea

Q: The perfect way to warm your body?
A: Drink ice-cold beer

That is actually scientific fact, and it explains why the British, in India, always drank hot tea at noon, when the temperature would probably be above 110.

https://www.popsci.com/does-drinking-ho ... ol-you-off

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:49 am

whiteswan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 am
Hi Leon :) I'm afraid I'm one of those 'miserable' people who moan about this heatwave. Three months we've had to put up with it down here in suffolk without any rain. Houndie is suffering terribly, his routine totally up the spout! He's always been a late sleeper, so walkies have always been around 11.00 am - 2.00 pm, whereafter he then has his first meal. Not been possible for weeks! Some days, he hasn't had a walk at all.....too hot, other days, I manage to get him out at 7.00 pm, which totally messes up his food schedule. I've had to keep our curtains closed for most of the days to try and keep him cool....sometimes having to resort to a very cold wet flannel on the back of his head/neck to stop him from overheating.
Three of our farmers fields have gone up in flames, due to the combine harvester sparking! The fires spread to the beautiful heath land within a few minutes of our house and it has been damaged terribly, :cry: over 20 fire appliances having attended in one day....
Then, I have my 88 year old parents who, especially my very very arthritic Mum who can barely walk, with her frame, is frazzled each and every time she has to try to go somewhere in their bungalow......all too much for her....
I too find it lovely that I can sit outside, in the sunshine by my stream in the garden with a glass or two of prosecco, in fact I love it....but it just doesn't suit everyone....some people (and dogs) just can't tolerate the extreme heat....
Fires are a major concern, we live rurally & one of my farmer friends said to me the other day that the extreme heat can be dangerous causing major problems like the ones you are experiencing.
Animals do suffer too, they don't know where to put themselves although Casper seems to find different places to keep himself cool. With your love & care I'm sure houndie will be ok Swannie.
As we are south facing at the back we keep the curtains closed to maintain our bungalow remains cooler. We've drank much more tea & water during the recent hot spell !
The gardens/lawns/reservoirs/rivers desperately need rain, the thunderstorms & rain arrived here last night so that was a welcome relief !
Good luck coping with the hot temperatures Swannie

hector

Post by hector » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 am

Welcome to the early watch with Norm and Me........
:tup: “And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.” :wink:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:18 am

hector wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 am
Welcome to the early watch with Norm and Me........
Been here for the last couple of months Hector :)

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:09 am
Swan, really hot weather is a boon in the short-term, but a curse in the long-term.
Lovers of Global Warning don't know what they think they know.

Q: The perfect way to cool yourself down?
A: Drink hot tea

Q: The perfect way to warm your body?
A: Drink ice-cold beer

That is actually scientific fact, and it explains why the British, in India, always drank hot tea at noon, when the temperature would probably be above 110.

https://www.popsci.com/does-drinking-ho ... ol-you-off
I'm just drinking pints of water Norm :) never been a 'cuppa' anytime person. A nice cup of tea with lunch (yorkshire tea of course :roflmao: ), and that's it for me.....

whiteswan
Manager
Manager

Post by whiteswan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm

1964white wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:49 am

Animals do suffer too, they don't know where to put themselves although Casper seems to find different places to keep himself cool. With your love & care I'm sure houndie will be ok Swannie.
Good luck coping with the hot temperatures Swannie
Cheers 64 :)
I think we've got some thunderstorms coming a bit later today....therein lies another problem. Houndie hates thunder! He'll be shivering and shaking and trying to squeeze behind the sofa....can't win :(

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm

whiteswan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm
Cheers 64 :)
I think we've got some thunderstorms coming a bit later today....therein lies another problem. Houndie hates thunder! He'll be shivering and shaking and trying to squeeze behind the sofa....can't win :(
Animals hate thunder Swannie, our boxer dogs of years ago reacted the same way as your houndie. We had thunderstorms last night & early this morning, you'd think it would be cooler, not the case it has been even hotter today :sun:

1964white

Post by 1964white » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 pm

whiteswan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:36 pm
I'm just drinking pints of water Norm :) never been a 'cuppa' anytime person. A nice cup of tea with lunch (yorkshire tea of course :roflmao: ), and that's it for me.....
Yorkshire tea every time for us