Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:31 am As was Vieira's form, but he's deemed surplus now?

According to opta, Bamford took 1.4 shots per goal which does suggest that he's pretty clinical. Reckon you're right about Pulis' tactics not playing to his strengths/creating chances.
That may also suggest that Bamford doesn't position himself well or his movement is poor because 14 shots in 31 games is woeful...even for a winger
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ironically Boro will batter us because they have a team of players taller and stronger then anyone we have apart from Jansson.

Deja Vu i sense when we are bemoaning the lack of muscle in midfield and height in defence.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45 am That may also suggest that Bamford doesn't position himself well or his movement is poor because 14 shots in 31 games is woeful...even for a winger
True enough.

Don't have stats for goals per minute or anything, or comparable ones for Roofe.

I would agree that Roofe needs to be playing left wing in this formation. He did okay last season as the lone striker, but that inside forward role was the position he was in when we signed him...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45 am That may also suggest that Bamford doesn't position himself well or his movement is poor because 14 shots in 31 games is woeful...even for a winger
Bamford is a class act mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:31 am As was Vieira's form, but he's deemed surplus now?

According to opta, Bamford took 1.4 shots per goal which does suggest that he's pretty clinical. Reckon you're right about Pulis' tactics not playing to his strengths/creating chances.
Bamford's old form will return under Bielsa's stewardship, he's no mug after serving his apprenticeship at Chelsea
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm Bamford is a class act mate

Will you be saying that if he shoots 20 times all season? If the above stat is correct it's very concerning. How the hell do you shoot less than once a game on average for a team like Boro last season...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:45 pm Will you be saying that if he shoots 20 times all season? If the above stat is correct it's very concerning. How the hell do you shoot less than once a game on average for a team like Boro last season...
He was playing under negative managers last season

Bamford will be fine under our attacking coach
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:45 pm Will you be saying that if he shoots 20 times all season? If the above stat is correct it's very concerning. How the hell do you shoot less than once a game on average for a team like Boro last season...
By making 22 appearances as a sub?

He said in his interview that he needs to be the focal point and the main man, like the majority of strikers I expect. When Boro' decided to give him a few starts in a row he scored 9 in 7.

Think it’s important we Give the guy a break and a chance to impress before you start trial by stats. He’s very well liked by palace and boro fans for a Reason
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'll forward this topic with great pleasure as once again he deserves credit for yet another outstanding performance especially after his disappointing display at Swansea which brought his critics out to the fore.

KP produced qualities yesterday we've been lacking for years, had it been Vieira the KP haters would be raving about young Ronaldo this morning, the point is RV rarely put in performances as consistently as KP, that is why Bielsa believes in Phillips who is probably one of the first few names on his teamsheet

Well done Kalvin Phillips, an unsung hero :-D
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 am I'll forward this topic with great pleasure as once again he deserves credit for yet another outstanding performance especially after his disappointing display at Swansea which brought his critics out to the fore.

KP produced qualities yesterday we've been lacking for years, had it been Vieira the KP haters would be raving about young Ronaldo this morning, the point is RV rarely put in performances as consistently as KP, that is why Bielsa believes in Phillips who is probably one the first few names on his teamsheet

Well done Kalvin Phillips, an unsung hero :-D
Ditto that Leon :tup: :tup: :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Never understood the vitriol towards Phillips or indeed some of our other maligned players (Cooper and Alioski included).
Phillips has come through our academy and is Leeds through and through. Even on his off days (which admittedly have happened more often than he would have liked over the last few seasons) he has always given his all. Hopefully being taken under the wing of the best manager in the championship he will flourish and become the player he always looked like having the potential to be. Absolutely thrilled with the start we have made and the huge strides forwards this group of players have made this season.
Hopefully this will galvanize the fans and get everyone behind the team!!!!
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 am Never understood the vitriol towards Phillips or indeed some of our other maligned players (Cooper and Alioski included).
Phillips has come through our academy and is Leeds through and through. Even on his off days (which admittedly have happened more often than he would have liked over the last few seasons) he has always given his all. Hopefully being taken under the wing of the best manager in the championship he will flourish and become the player he always looked like having the potential to be. Absolutely thrilled with the start we have made and the huge strides forwards this group of players have made this season.
Hopefully this will galvanize the fans and get everyone behind the team!!!!
I have been a critic of Phillips in the past and thought that after the early hook at Swansea we had seen the last of him as I believe Baker to be a better player. However i am happy to eat humble pie as I believe this club needs players who will fight for Leeds and their shirt . Kalvin has done that this year by stepping up his consistency and doing the basics well. So too has Cooper and in a small way Alioski (was abject against Swansea and rotherham) .

We as fans need to remember that we need a team to win games and that all 11 on the pitch and the choice of the 7 subs deserve our support and remember that they will have bad games and they will make mistakes and even lose a game or 5 .

Keep Fighting
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

LUFC 1966 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:39 am I have been a critic of Phillips in the past and thought that after the early hook at Swansea we had seen the last of him as I believe Baker to be a better player. However i am happy to eat humble pie as I believe this club needs players who will fight for Leeds and their shirt . Kalvin has done that this year by stepping up his consistency and doing the basics well. So too has Cooper and in a small way Alioski (was abject against Swansea and rotherham) .

We as fans need to remember that we need a team to win games and that all 11 on the pitch and the choice of the 7 subs deserve our support and remember that they will have bad games and they will make mistakes and even lose a game or 5 .

Keep Fighting
And I'm absolutely not saying he shouldn't be criticised if playing badly. But I do think there is a section of our fanbase who are vitriolic towards some of our players which is why there have been a lot of players who have left Leeds and flourished.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've never had a problem with Kalvin at all, played very well yesterday in defence and two wonderful over the top passes. But I think he was still playing Swansea football first 20. We scored he looked a lot better, a LOT better.

Prefer the Derby win as they never had a chance but, but for Pontus, Norwich could have been two up before we took charge.

Kalvin rightly applauded for the final block but will I find similar applause for that wonderful BPF save from a point blank header down at his feet ..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Our most improved player this season

KP is our engine room, he shields, breaks up, distributes and creates, he's become a top player.

Strolls around the park with ease, looks a complete athlete

Kalvin Phillips for England :eng:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Can we stop pretending that he is some sort of Neves/Shelvey clone now?

He has been hooked twice in the 1st half and we have improved after it.

Decent at times but vastly overrated by some.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Poor today but coming off easily his best performance in mid week. I'm ok with him staying at DMF but Forshaw must be pushing him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Phillips, like Cooper, has good games in spells, but is never consistently playing well over the season. You can't put it down to inexperience, as he's played over 100 games now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

No I'm not pretending

Phillips is a very good footballer whom was hauled off the pitch for two mistakes when nearly every player was making errors & choosing wrong options all over the park.

Bielsa needed to make a change & KP was the unfortunate culprit

KP will be back :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Silly season has started early . . . . .

Arsenal, SPurs and Everton apparently want Phillips and Southgate is considering calling him up for England. :oops:

Did ok vs Wednesday (few sloppy passes again) but England and top 6 Prem player . . . . . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay