Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
radebe88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by radebe88 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm

BPF - 4 - not the answer. Poor from crosses never fills me with confidence
Ayling 9 - solid
Beradi 8
Cooper 9
Douglas 9
Phillips 8
Klich 9
Hernandez 8
Saiz 9
Alioski 8
Roofe 10 MOTM one of his best for the whites

User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by dezzy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 pm

becchio bear wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:03 pm
Ok, then why didn't he actually say what his interpreter said to him? that was my point!! at times we could hear what his interpreter said but Bielsa said something different!! :bear:
Irrelevant, enjoy the win
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..

User avatar
becchio bear
Queen of Quotes
Queen of Quotes
Posts: 16790
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by becchio bear » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm

dezzy wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Irrelevant, enjoy the win
Not irrelevant but I sure did enjoy the win :tup: :bear:

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by Cjay » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:04 pm

That was a shock. :-D

BPF-7.Made some decent saves, dodgy in the air though, never comes off his line.
Ayling-8 handled that orrible twit well.
Douglas-8 . Defended well, linked well with Ali, lovely corner.
Berardi-6 . .Did ok, wont be keeping Pontus out though
Cooper-9 . Did exceptionally well.
Phillips-6 did ok, but made a hash of defending at times 1 ended in the pen 1 ended in BPF save, and that 2 footed tackle on another day could have been off.
Klich-9.5MOTM thought he was excellent, passed well, pressed well, took his goal well.
Pablo-8 . .credit to him, worked his butt off, deserved his goal.
Ali-8 . .deserved his assist, linked well with BD, unlucky not to score.
Saiz-9 . Much better, creative, worked hard, didnt moan, final ball was better.
Roofe-8. .pulled them all over the place, link play and work rate was great.

Really impressed all round.

Special mention to Pablo who at 33 ran his ass off for 95mins, he could have gone and semi retired, immense credit.

Bielsa worked wonders with them, same team as Hecky minus Douglas.

Not getting ahead of myself as its 1 game, but play like that and we will be right up there.

Just worried about the Bielsa burnout.

Still need 2 or 3 players though.

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18729
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by gessa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Well, have to admit, didn't expect that result and after reading this thread performance. Seems as though MB has got that extra 20% out of a few, what a difference a manager who knows what he's doing makes it seems.

User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by weasel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:04 pm
Phillips- that 2 footed tackle on another day could have been off.
I think if it is the tackle near the end of the game it was actually not as bad as it was made out. He wins the ball with his foot fairily low but his foot then actually rolls with the movement of the ball and as such then goes to the top point of the ball and looks high.

A fantastic start but we need to make sure we don't make a repeat of last season. For today we could easily simply have it as a repeat of the Sunderland performance last season when we played great against a recently relegated team that the pundits were suggesting were much better than us. However despite that thought being a potential dampener it was great to see that sort of performance today. Samu showed us the player he can be with a great bit of skill and sublime pass for the opening goal, he made it look so easy but it was a superb througball through the eye of a needle and perfectly weighted. People have forgotten that he was doing stuff like that last season and seem to remember the poor performances from a frustrated player that was so evident in the second half of the season. Great to see Klich getting a start and taking his chance today - took his goal superbly and a decent performance - my only worry about Klich was when he was subbed he wasn't really greeted with any sort of congratulation/affection by Dallas - usually after a decent performance and coming off at 3-1 up you'd get a bit of a hug from the player coming on but there wasn't anything like that from Dallas and I am sure I have seen Dallas react more warmly when coming on as sub before - maybe I am reading too much into it but it may be that he hasn't really fitted in with the rest of the team and that was a reason why he didn't feature much last year. Something to watch for in the future and hopefully it isn't the case as he looks a decent player.

First time i have felt sorry for Paul Heckingbottom. If I were him at half time I'd have just had to be honest and say to Sky - I couldn't get anything like that out of those players, I shouldn't be here pretending to be some sort of expert. It does show though the difference a manager with tactics and formations rather than Sunday Pub tactics (get stuck in and working them hard on fitness) makes. I did stop feeling sorry for PH very quickly though when he started to try to take credit for stuff like us recruiting british players and him taling up how he transformed BPF whereas if it hadn't have been for Lonerghan's neck injury I have no doubt he would have picked Lonerghan rather than giving BPF the nod.

Great to see that group of players show how well they can play. With the likes of PJ, Bamford and Forshaw to come back in too things could be very bright especially if the loan players turn out to be decent too.

Interesting now to see what happens Tuesday. Would be guessing a lot of changes given the lack of importance in the cup and also with it being ridiculously played on Tuesday giving Bolton a huge advantage with them having 3 days rest compared to our 2.
Senor El Weasel

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by Cjay » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 pm

weasel wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 pm
I think if it is the tackle near the end of the game it was actually not as bad as it was made out. He wins the ball with his foot fairily low but his foot then actually rolls with the movement of the ball and as such then goes to the top point of the ball and looks high.
Have to disagree on that mate.

He did get the ball a bit but he did dive in two footed, players get sent off for that these days and he did go slightly over the ball.

Same with Berardi and Phillips on McClean, full blooded tackles but they are risky, a tiny miscalculation and your walking.

Much prefer players to stay on there feet, use intelligence and strength.

Thought we played Tuesday to, we dont, its the following Tuesday.

User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6756
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by weasel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I do think some of the tackles are made to look worse when slowed down and think KP's was but I 100% it was a silly tackle, given that we were 3-1 up and ran the risk of the ref seeing it as a 2 footed lunge. Like you say players can get booked and sent off for those types of tackles. Hopefully something that Bielsa can eradicate from KP's game - am sure Bielsa will have just started watching the full match on VHS again for the 3rd time so will have seen it.
Senor El Weasel

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 24929
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by faaip » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Cjay wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:04 pm
That was a shock. :-D

BPF-7.Made some decent saves, dodgy in the air though, never comes off his line.
Ayling-8 handled that orrible twit well.
Douglas-8 . Defended well, linked well with Ali, lovely corner.
Berardi-6 . .Did ok, wont be keeping Pontus out though
Cooper-9 . Did exceptionally well.
Phillips-6 did ok, but made a hash of defending at times 1 ended in the pen 1 ended in BPF save, and that 2 footed tackle on another day could have been off.
Klich-9.5MOTM thought he was excellent, passed well, pressed well, took his goal well.
Pablo-8 . .credit to him, worked his butt off, deserved his goal.
Ali-8 . .deserved his assist, linked well with BD, unlucky not to score.
Saiz-9 . Much better, creative, worked hard, didnt moan, final ball was better.
Roofe-8. .pulled them all over the place, link play and work rate was great.

Really impressed all round.

Special mention to Pablo who at 33 ran his ass off for 95mins, he could have gone and semi retired, immense credit.

Bielsa worked wonders with them, same team as Hecky minus Douglas.

Not getting ahead of myself as its 1 game, but play like that and we will be right up there.

Just worried about the Bielsa burnout.

Still need 2 or 3 players though.
I agree with most of this but especially the Phillips post. He was not great today and I also think that challenge on another day is a straight red. It was absolutely two footed
BPF - Beradi - Jansson - Forshaw - Cooper - Douglas - Hernandez - Klich - Saiz - Roofe - Clarke

"objective fan" - is that a consistent oxymoron?"

User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by Oscar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Absolutely incredible start we literally dominated the game for the whole 90 minutes and didn't drop our intensity at all something I haven't seen from a Leeds team in a very long time it should have been 5 or 6-1 today. Bielsa produced an absolute tactical masterclass against Stoke's supposedly superior team we made the likes of Shawcross, Allen, Ince etc look very average they just couldn't cope with our intensity off the ball and our movement the role Roofe played cannot be underestimated constantly creating the space for the others by running in behind and dragging a defender out of position it would have been the perfect strikers performance had he managed to get a goal as well. Klich was simply incredible in the middle of the park and just ran the game man of the match by some distance. I liked the constant tactical switches from a back 3 to a back 4 during the game as well.

Peacock-Farrell 7- Shot stopping was great and some good distribution, panicked a couple of times when a few dangerous crosses came into his box.
Berardi 8- Outstanding some great use of the ball and covered really well.
Phillips 7- Has to lose marks for a poor touch for their goal but other than that he was outstanding.
Cooper 8- Solid and a brilliant finish for his goal.
Ayling 7- Defensively exceptional but at times a little bit wasteful going forward and tried to be a bit too clever a nice solid performance though.
Klich 9- Man Of The Match, brilliant goal he started and finished the move, ran the midfield despite at times being outnumbered as Stoke had an extra 1-2 players in that area of the pitch, off the ball work spot on knew when to press when not too press. He just reads the game so well and sees a pass/opportunity/danger 1-2 seconds before anybody else.
Douglas 9- What a performance unlucky with penalty but did his job superbly at the back and used the ball so well. Very close to being Man Of The Match with the delivery for the third.
Saiz 8- Amazing work for the second goal and a great first half not quite as effective in the second but back to his best.
Hernandez 8- Never stopped running and got himself a goal as well, some clever flicks and tricks too not his very best performance with the ball but a very intelligent performance.
Roofe 8- Grew into the game missed an early chance but never stopped constantly making runs off the ball and led the press so well winning corners, throw ins and dragging defenders out of position to help build momentum.
Alioksi 7- Nice assist and at times very good unlucky not to get himself a goal.
Substitutions:
Dallas 7- Nice solid performance in the middle of the park.
Baker and Harrison only played 10 minutes.

Great to see Leon (1964 White) at the game we had a good chat at half time and were both absolutely amazed by the quality of the first half performance.
Also a keen Barcelona supporter since 2004-2005 (when they were average.)

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by 1964white » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:25 am

faaip wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 pm
I agree with most of this but especially the Phillips post. He was not great today and I also think that challenge on another day is a straight red. It was absolutely two footed
Sorry mate I have to disagree with you on KP, so many outstanding performances & Phillips was one of them imo !

My report up later :)

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by 1964white » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 am

Oscar wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:42 pm
Absolutely incredible start we literally dominated the game for the whole 90 minutes and didn't drop our intensity at all something I haven't seen from a Leeds team in a very long time it should have been 5 or 6-1 today. Bielsa produced an absolute tactical masterclass against Stoke's supposedly superior team we made the likes of Shawcross, Allen, Ince etc look very average they just couldn't cope with our intensity off the ball and our movement the role Roofe played cannot be underestimated constantly creating the space for the others by running in behind and dragging a defender out of position it would have been the perfect strikers performance had he managed to get a goal as well. Klich was simply incredible in the middle of the park and just ran the game man of the match by some distance. I liked the constant tactical switches from a back 3 to a back 4 during the game as well.

Peacock-Farrell 7- Shot stopping was great and some good distribution, panicked a couple of times when a few dangerous crosses came into his box.
Berardi 8- Outstanding some great use of the ball and covered really well.
Phillips 7- Has to lose marks for a poor touch for their goal but other than that he was outstanding.
Cooper 8- Solid and a brilliant finish for his goal.
Ayling 7- Defensively exceptional but at times a little bit wasteful going forward and tried to be a bit too clever a nice solid performance though.
Klich 9- Man Of The Match, brilliant goal he started and finished the move, ran the midfield despite at times being outnumbered as Stoke had an extra 1-2 players in that area of the pitch, off the ball work spot on knew when to press when not too press. He just reads the game so well and sees a pass/opportunity/danger 1-2 seconds before anybody else.
Douglas 9- What a performance unlucky with penalty but did his job superbly at the back and used the ball so well. Very close to being Man Of The Match with the delivery for the third.
Saiz 8- Amazing work for the second goal and a great first half not quite as effective in the second but back to his best.
Hernandez 8- Never stopped running and got himself a goal as well, some clever flicks and tricks too not his very best performance with the ball but a very intelligent performance.
Roofe 8- Grew into the game missed an early chance but never stopped constantly making runs off the ball and led the press so well winning corners, throw ins and dragging defenders out of position to help build momentum.
Alioksi 7- Nice assist and at times very good unlucky not to get himself a goal.
Substitutions:
Dallas 7- Nice solid performance in the middle of the park.
Baker and Harrison only played 10 minutes.

Great to see Leon (1964 White) at the game we had a good chat at half time and were both absolutely amazed by the quality of the first half performance.
Great to see you again Oscar, like us two there were so many smiling faces in the kop after every fan I spoke to all saying that was our best performance in many many years.
Lovely to see my Leeds United family, lots of handshakes & hugs all round,

What a memorable day :love: you can't beat live football on special days like that

User avatar
rab_rant
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by rab_rant » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 am

The goals go in and Bielsa sits on his purple turned upside down tub
and blows a bubble with his bubble gum. The players in the dugout and coaching
staff go wild... Bielsa sits still and motionless. No expression of emotion at all
There is a zen like calmness about his demeanor amidst the swirling chaos of
joy in the stadium.

Now that is different, one victory does not win the Championship. Reminded me of
the knife thrower James Coburn in the Magnificent Seven... cool calm and collected
who knows of his own skills and abilities when even faced with a sharp shooter
provoking him and challenging him to a duel.

He must be thinking... Let everyone else get carried away I will remain focused.
He is the Buddha under the banyan tree. El Loco has well and truly arrived.

There is some Mendoza mystical hippy shite going on there.
Scottish Steel and Irish Fire that's the weapon I desire.

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2469
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by NorfolkWhite » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:44 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:25 am
Sorry mate I have to disagree with you on KP, so many outstanding performances & Phillips was one of them imo !

My report up later :)
100% -top drawer today.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by 1964white » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am

NorfolkWhite wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:44 am
100% -top drawer today.
KP certainly was top drawer mate

I can't believe some of the low marking & criticism I've read, he was certainly receiving lots of plaudits at ER yesterday

Still a better footballer for Leeds than Vieira right now, he has more to offer in his locker than fans give him credit for !

danhirons
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by danhirons » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 am

Klich, Cooper, saiz and Roofe the pick of the bunch for me. Berardi needs replacing with jansson. Not sure about BPF. Roofe played really really well, but can see him getting bullied upfront on his own against other defences. Got to stick with him for a few games now though.

User avatar
Gurj
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3034
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by Gurj » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 am

Unbelievable performance - that first 45 minutes in particular was one of the best ive seen from a leeds team for a long time !
So much attacking cohesion, the pressing as well was outstanding - it reminded of the early Wilko led days when our intensity would literally kill teams off in the first 20-25 mins coming out and steamrolling them into submission.

I have been very critical of Saiz but it was a pleasure to see the old Samu back yesterday - some of the touches were just sublime. He still has the habit of overdoing it at times but we can forgive him that if he continues in this vain.

My MOTM tho, without doubt was Kemar Roofe - may not have scored but that was the best display ive seen from in a leeds shirt. He was everywhere - talk about giving 110%. Ran himself in to the ground for the cause and led the line brilliantly. Well played young man.

I just hope we are able to keep this kind of passionate display up for Bielsa - he is a hard taskmaster and so fitness will be massive. the Championship really is the proverbial marathon and therefore it will be hard for these players to perform this style of football twice in a week therefore strength in depth will be key and I thought our bench looked strongest it has for years yesterday but well know suspensions and injuries can bite hard. Fingers crossed we are not hit too hard - if we can sustain that level of performance, teams will once again dread coming to Elland Road, as they did in the days of old.

In terms of Bielsa's presser, yes it was a bit embarrasing at times but we have to realise, in most of he's managerial career, he has not done post match interviews. Usually a No 2 would perform that task for him so I applaud him for making the effort given he doesnt speak the language and as others said earlier, he wanted to reply back in english so that it helps him pick up the language quickly. Well done Marcello, I hope you can keep these players at it like this for the rest of the season !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2469
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by NorfolkWhite » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am
KP certainly was top drawer mate

I can't believe some of the low marking & criticism I've read, he was certainly receiving lots of plaudits at ER yesterday

Still a better footballer than Vieira imo, he has more to offer in his game
Saw a lot of positive comments on other social media, guess everyone sees games slightly differently. Must have been a fantastic atmosphere though, sounded fantastic on TV.

User avatar
Chilli D
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by Chilli D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am
KP certainly was top drawer mate

I can't believe some of the low marking & criticism I've read, he was certainly receiving lots of plaudits at ER yesterday

Still a better footballer for Leeds than Vieira right now, he has more to offer in his locker than fans give him credit for !
Not sure I agree that KP was 'top drawer' if I'm honest.
He played well but definitely not in my top six in the other thread.
There was still a couple of heart stopping tackles that need to be removed from his game and it was his mis-control that lead to Douglas giving away the penalty.
Maybe I'm being over critical, he is still a young man learning his trade and he played his part is a great performance yesterday.
Long may it continue.

User avatar
rab_rant
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by rab_rant » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 am

What do Leeds PLayers wear under their shirts... Stoke fans want to know... some great ideas.
http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thr ... yers-shirt
Scottish Steel and Irish Fire that's the weapon I desire.

Post Reply