Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Leeds United versus Stoke City - Official Match day thread

Post by becchio bear »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:38 pm Interesting MB post match interview!
No, it's not interesting, it is totally embarrassing. Interviewer asks the question, interpreter whispers in Bielsa's ear, he mutters something etc etc and at times we can hear the interpreter speaking in English to Bielsa and at that point Bielsa doesn't say what the interpreter has said to him!! absolutely awful. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Said it on VLR, but I'll repeat myself. Roofe was our own Giroud today; a striker who fueled our team despite not scoring a goal. He gave Stoke fits all afternoon. MOTM

Saiz was great, especially in the first half. Klich, Cooper, and Ayling, too.

Great effort from all involved. Played with fire and intensity.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm No, it's not interesting, it is totally embarrassing. Interviewer asks the question, interpreter whispers in Bielsa's ear, he mutters something etc etc and at times we can hear the interpreter speaking in English to Bielsa and at that point Bielsa doesn't say what the interpreter has said to him!! absolutely awful. :bear:
Could give the interview in Ronald McDonald costume if he keeps them playing like that. Apparently he insisted on giving the replies himself in English, so I’ll forgive a little lack of fluency.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

NorfolkWhite wrote:
Could give the interview in Ronald McDonald costume if he keeps them playing like that. Apparently he insisted on giving the replies himself in English, so I’ll forgive a little lack of fluency.
..and in double Dutch mate. I agree, didn't see him smile much either but he can grimace all he wants.
At least the man's making an effort to speak English - kudos to him.
In any case, his team said it all for him on the pitch in the international language of football. :tup: :tup: :tup:
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:51 pm Could give the interview in Ronald McDonald costume if he keeps them playing like that. Apparently he insisted on giving the replies himself in English, so I’ll forgive a little lack of fluency.
I agree regarding the playing. The interviews really do need to be addressed though. They are awful, the questions, the interpreter whispering, the response etc, i've never seen anything like it :shock: :bear:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BPF - 8 - Two good saves and intelligent saves. lost a point for the missed cross but otherwise looks a decent keeper

Ayling - 7 - Good game, but too many missed passes for me
Douglas - 8 - Very good considering no previous game time, slow start but first assist. Highly promising

Cooper - 10 - Captain Courageous, nothing got past him and foiled a 2 on 1 that would have been a goal most days.
Beradi 6 - Height wasn't the problem here, his first touch was. Despite that a good enough performance

Phillips - 6 - Had the ball lost the ball, pen. He had the best chance to clear so his error for me, looked dodgy in the tackle and the two footed one is one we always mark Beradi down for
Klich - 9 - proved he can play in this league for the doubters, not as important late on but settled the nerves with the calm finish for the first. Should be captain

Alioski - 7 - Two good efforts on goal, caused some problems but still looks out of place on the left.
Saiz - 9 - Outstanding and sublime at times...great pass for the opener and was moving the ball without thinking at times. We saw less of the hanging on too long. Drifted out second half a little but ended well before being subbed
Hernandez - 8 - Slow start, came on well and a somewhat fortunate goal but considering the lack of pre season football a slowish start was expected

Roofe - 10 MOTM - What a display as lone striker, did everything but score, constantly harried the keeper and defenders when not on the ball, and when we were made runs we haven't seen the like of from anybody for a while. This is a quality footballer, it'll be a shame when he makes way for Bamford. And that will happen. Fully deserves the Sky MOTM, the Stoke defenders (premier defenders) were clueless
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:03 pm I agree regarding the playing. The interviews really do need to be addressed though. They are awful, the questions, the interpreter whispering, the response etc, i've never seen anything like it :shock: :bear:
Don't give a s**t tbh ..he'll get there or if he doesn't ...still don't give a s**t.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Well we were told from the outset that that Stoke team was far too good for the Championship, although I felt they were overrated. Very good performance and it will send a message if they're the best team in the league, then we can be right up there. The fact it is the same players that Hecky struggled with, just proves we were right to want him out.

Positives:
Comprehensively outplayed the promotion favourites - shows what we can do
Klich - delighted for him, you just know he is eager to prove himself this season
Roofe - deserved a goal, but was everywhere
Saiz back to his best, ran the show and was a joy to watch
Cooper excellent and played like a captain today
BPF so confident and mature for his age, excellent stop from Allen at the end
Jansson, Forshaw and Bamford still to come back
The way we fought back from 2-1 and scored a third, rather than Stoke getting an undeserved equaliser
It was like watching Brazil at times 😍

Negatives:
Berardi a huge weak link - poor for the penalty, also almost cost us an equaliser in the first half, then tried to dive in after giving ball away
Phillips and Cooper diving in a few times, need to improve this part of their game
Still a bit edgy defensively - PJ coming back, but think we need another CB as well
No Jansson, still no match fitness he needs it as we won't get away with Cooper/Berardi many times this year
They put two men on Saiz and kept him quiet second half, so we didn't create as much. Need to find a way to get him more involved without space.
They showed last season we can play well in the sun and at the start, but can they maintain it beyond September this time?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:06 pm Don't give a s**t tbh ..he'll get there or if he doesn't ...still don't give a s**t.
That's fine. I just find it embarrassing. :bear:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Don't listen then...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Forshaw for Phillips
Jansson for Beradi (Really surprised he didn't get a run out for fitness at 3-1 last 10, something still smells)
Bamford for Roofe
Blackman for BPF

Are the changes I expect to see very soon
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Delighted for all our players - Stoke knew how we'd play and still couldn't get much of a look-in.
We played them off the park in the first half (that I actually saw for once - thanks again EB1 for that stream).
Our fitness levels must have played a big part in that impressive win.
Klich, Roofe and Saiz a revelation. I hope we don't go 4-5-1 as I would love to see how Roofe and Bamford pair up - after that performance Roofe needs to be used with a partner, not dropped.

Hopefully this display will have convinced the doubters that Klich, Roofe and Saiz can hold their own in the Championship.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

PJ must start v Bolton (Tue) or he's being shopped

By the way why are we playing Tuesday?
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

Well colour me pink and spank me with a herring I did. Not think we would do that to Stoke today. I hoped but in my heart thought they would be too good for us.

Agree with most of what has been said on here but I think Cooper and Klich were both outstanding today. Roofe worked hard and Saiz was sublime at times and Phillips had Joe Allen on toast. Early days but wow just wow :) :)
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:39 pm Don't listen then...
Don't be ridiculous :roll: :bear:
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 pm No, it's not interesting, it is totally embarrassing. Interviewer asks the question, interpreter whispers in Bielsa's ear, he mutters something etc etc and at times we can hear the interpreter speaking in English to Bielsa and at that point Bielsa doesn't say what the interpreter has said to him!! absolutely awful. :bear:
I think he wanted to speak in English himself out of respect for the fans.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

dezzy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:52 pm I think he wanted to speak in English himself out of respect for the fans.
Ok, then why didn't he actually say what his interpreter said to him? that was my point!! at times we could hear what his interpreter said but Bielsa said something different!! :bear:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:42 pm Bamford for Roofe
Blackman for BPF

Are the changes I expect to see very soon
Hope not. Roofe needs someone alongside him. They were a few opportunities today where he had no one with him, whereas a partner could've finished off the chances. Unless BPF has a shocker or is injured, then he should be starting. I don't think Blackman is better than him.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Neither do I but Blackman didn't come here or we pay for him to sit Personally I'd send him back if we can get a refund. There are 4 more promising keepers behind him anyway.

I doubt we'll go 442 or 352 tbh. Roofes best shot once Bamford comes in will be to replace Alioski. If not then it's the bench and I don't think he does well coming off the bench.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

LUFC 1966 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm Well colour me pink and spank me with a herring I did. Not think we would do that to Stoke today. I hoped but in my heart thought they would be too good for us.

Agree with most of what has been said on here but I think Cooper and Klich were both outstanding today. Roofe worked hard and Saiz was sublime at times and Phillips had Joe Allen on toast. Early days but wow just wow :) :)
Agree on Phillips, he was the platform that allowed so much of the good stuff we did. Thought he was excellent. Joe Allen touted as best MF in the league never a factor in the game.