Derby County versus Leeds United Official match day thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Derby County versus Leeds United Official match day thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Said all along the players are fine, the managers were junk.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Roofe not playing that much better than last season where at times he was sublime....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hector and I knew the score
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

We started this well last season and soon crumbled so let's see....

Hope bielsa considers replacing BPF with Blackman if Blackman plays well this week against Bolton as BPF had a howler with that goal today.

Jansson should replace Berardi too.

But heck what a performance! Played so well and saw the game out well. Roofe playing out of his skin right now, can't see him maintaining it sadly but we can hope! Bamford looked out of place when he came on.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Some great stuff today and the amount of times we got into great positions was incredible, creating good chances and at other times wasting the opportunity to create a chance. Some teams overplay the football but we seem to be able to play a way that enables us to get the ball into dangerous areas very often. Worrying at times though with us trying to overplay at the back and causing our own problems, rather than the opposition actually creating anything themselves. We could have been 1-0 down before we scored and also at 2-1 up Derby had a great chance to equalise. It will be a real test for us to see how we cope when we go behind in a match. I can see us conceding a few goals from our mistakes at the back (overplaying rather than keeper error like today) but that is the price we will have to pay for this style of football and it important fans don't get on the player's backs if mistakes lead to goals because it is by playing out from the back that we will be able to turn in the performances like today where the opposition simply cannot cope.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Thi k a lot of keepers may have ballsed that one up. At fault but the rest of the game was just fine
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 pm Thi k a lot of keepers may have ballsed that one up. At fault but the rest of the game was just fine
A good test for a keeper is how well they respond for the rest of the match after making an error - some go to pieces, such as Rachubka, and appear jittery for the rest of the match. Credit to BPF, for putting it behind him and although he didn't have much to do he did it all well including when he took a catch, from a cross, soon afterwards without any drama.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

danhirons wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:41 pm We started this well last season and soon crumbled so let's see....

Hope bielsa considers replacing BPF with Blackman if Blackman plays well this week against Bolton as BPF had a howler with that goal today.

But heck what a performance! Played so well and saw the game out well. Roofe playing out of his skin right now, can't see him maintaining it sadly but we can hope! Bamford looked out of place when he came on.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a full 11 changes on Tuesday - but without the unnecessary throwing in of untested kids and players out of position that we have seen in recent years. Admittedly 1 or 2 might be U23 players that haven't played for the first team but they will have been training and have played in the friendlies. In theory we have 2 players for every position so it should still be a reasonable side with the 3 loan lads starting as well as Bamford and Jannson.

Bamford looking out of place, PJ not starting or the loan lads shows how important the training is as Bielsa clearly is picking players, with the exception of Douglas, that have been training and getting used to his way all summer. Am guessing Douglas has been starting due to his undoubted quality and also that Wolves played to some degree a similar way to us so he may have been able to integrate quicker.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Please punch me in the face as I must be dreaming :lol:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Good observations Weasel , agree with you mate once more it's imperative we Leeds fans remain calm and support the team and players he squad of players . We should not underestimate anyone especially our own team of players . We are our own worst enemy and should never get on their backs.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:41 pm We started this well last season and soon crumbled so let's see....
The big difference for me is Bielsa has managed in South America, which is incredibly intimidating, so he will know how to handle Millwall away better.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 pm Hector and I knew the score
Was sensational today, his movement off the ball was superb plus two goals to savour, I loved his headed goal :love:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see a full 11 changes on Tuesday - but without the unnecessary throwing in of untested kids and players out of position that we have seen in recent years. Admittedly 1 or 2 might be U23 players that haven't played for the first team but they will have been training and have played in the friendlies. In theory we have 2 players for every position so it should still be a reasonable side with the 3 loan lads starting as well as Bamford and Jannson.

Bamford looking out of place, PJ not starting or the loan lads shows how important the training is as Bielsa clearly is picking players, with the exception of Douglas, that have been training and getting used to his way all summer. Am guessing Douglas has been starting due to his undoubted quality and also that Wolves played to some degree a similar way to us so he may have been able to integrate quicker.
I still don't get how Douglas went straight in, but Jansson has been left out. Berardi has been the weak link in both games so far.

Expecting Jansson, Pearce, Lookman, Baker, Bamford, Shackleton and Harrison to all start on Tuesday. Might see Clarke, Edmondson, Rey and Ideguchi on the bench.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 pm The big difference for me is Bielsa has managed in South America, which is incredibly intimidating, so he will know how to handle Millwall away better.
Arguably the best coach in the championship.

I defy anyone to name a better one ?

Holloway on the new football show on Quest reckons he is premiership class
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Actually we didn't. We scraped a 3-2 win over a very poor Bolton, drawing at home v an average Preston, then goal less at Fulham
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 pm The big difference for me is Bielsa has managed in South America, which is incredibly intimidating, so he will know how to handle Millwall away better.
Another big plus is that it will be the same group of players that went to Millwall last year so there will be no surprises for them. I think the intensity of Millwall caught a lot, if not all, of our players out last year, probably the manager too. We know what to expect, the players know what to expect and Bielsa having watched the videos of all last year's matches will have noted how some players bottled it and he shouldn't be caught out unawares. However this is the championship and we still have a few matches to play before then and we need to focus on each and every game as we all know any team in the championship can beat any other team.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 pm Please punch me in the face as I must be dreaming :lol:
Just getting me flask ready and sleeping bag out. Can someone tell me where the queue starts.... ;-) ;-) ;-)

Only joking L, great to see positivity back across the forum and everyone getting on well again.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 pm Actually we didn't. We scraped a 3-2 win over a very poor Bolton, drawing at home v an average Preston, then goal less at Fulham
Then we beat Burton, Forest & Sunderland, all three finished in the bottom six, two of them relegated

What we've seen in our two games v Stoke & Derby is of a higher level than at our best last season
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Roofe has scored 7 goals in his last 11 away games...apparently.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 pm Actually we didn't. We scraped a 3-2 win over a very poor Bolton, drawing at home v an average Preston, then goal less at Fulham
We didn't scrape a win over Bolton and Chris Wood missed two gilt edged chances v Preston and Fulham as his head was turned.