Many fatal casualties.....RIP to those who have lost their lives in this horrific tragedy
- First Team
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:08 pm
- Twitter: @richleeds64
- Location: leeds LS27
RIP to all the victims
If you read on in that report if gives the following information, which may or may not have a grain of truth in it -
- interesting that work to shore up its foundation was being carried out.The highway operator said work to shore up its foundation was being carried out at the time of the collapse.
Repair work on the bridge was carried out in 2016, Reuters reports. Major repairs also took place in the 1990s.
A structural engineer who lectures at Genoa University, Antonio Brencich, warned in 2016 that there were problems with the bridge, Italian media report.
The bridge's designer, Riccardo Morandi (1902-1989) had miscalculated the "viscous deformation" - an ageing effect on reinforced concrete, Mr Brencich said.
"He was an engineer with great insight but lacking in practical calculations," the lecturer said.
There will be attempts to deflect blame I'm sure
39 unfortunate people have lost their lives confirmed so far
More fatal casualties expected as the rescue teams continue to search through the rubble
25 million vehicles a year use that bridge, will take years to rebuild
- Site Admin
- Posts: 7089
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Subs Bench
- Posts: 753
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm
- Location: Location with Phil and Kirstie
the QE2 bridge has double the traffic but just looks alot more stable in my view